Thread: Good deal for 1st "Real" Camera for me?

Real Name
    Shawn

Good deal for 1st "Real" Camera for me?

Hi guys,

I've been shooting so far with a Canon S110. It's great for a pocket compact, but as you know, it's a bit limited.

I got it so I could get familiar with manual settings, but it's limited due to being a fixed lens.

I found a local deal on a Canon T3i with an 18-55 lens, manfrotto tripod, 32gb card, and the batt & charger.

He claims it's in good condition, and is asking $375. This looks like a good deal to get a starter DSLR for me. I'm thinking if I were to get this, I could then maybe get another lens or 2- say a 50mm prime and maybe a longer zoom for more distant shots.

Sound good to you?

Edited to add- I am wondering if it makes sense to spend a few hundred more to get say a 60d as opposed to this. On the one hand, if I get something better like the 60 or 70D later, I could still use the same lenses with it, and have the T3i as a backup.

But, to be honest, money is tight right now, and I'm not sure. I don't want to sound like a penny pincher, but I don't want to get a piece of crap either. I know skills are really what counts, but you still need to get something decent.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Southpaw; 14th July 2014 at 10:43 AM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Good deal for 1st "Real" Camera for me?

He claims it's in good condition, and is asking $375
    That camera has decent reviews and I would foresee no problems providing, that you are able to examine it,
    take some pictures, and examine those images on your monitor beforehand.
    As a comparison http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-Di...N%3DB004J3V90Y

In spite of my being a Canon enthusiast, be forewarned...buying that first DSLR body and the ensuing lenses kinda locks you into that brand for all time, as it is expensive to jump ship to another brand later.

PS edit...don't overlook YouTube for learning some fine points for setup of that new body
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...anon+3ti+setup
    Last edited by chauncey; 14th July 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Good deal for 1st "Real" Camera for me?

Your rationale is sound - you find your gear limiting, so you want to explore upgrading to something that gives you a bit more to work with. It comes with the kit 18-55mm, a tripod (Manfrotto made decent products, and I am someone who likes using a tripod in my work). The battery, charger and memory are all must haves too.

When it comes to lenses; I would suggest you hold off until you get used to your camera and understand the type of photography you are trying to do. When I first bought my DSLR, I got the kit 18-55mm lens as well and spent a few weeks shooting before I looked at more gear. I would strongly suggest you not bother with the 50mm prime, unless you have an overwhelming reason to buy it, as the 18-55mm lens already covers that focal range. As for a longer lens; it depends on what you plan to use it for; the lower end ones are okay for portraiture, but I find them rather limiting for wildlife and bird shots. (I actually went the opposite direction and bought an ultrawide 11-16mm lens) when I started, but then I have been a wide-angle shooter since the film days.