Thread: Lightroom after subscription ends

Real Name
    Dave

Lightroom after subscription ends

Adobe seems to have made a helpful move in assuring that you will not lose access to your Lightroom edits, if for any reason you are no longer able to maintain your subscription.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/relax/

Dave

Re: Lightroom after subscription ends

Useful to know - thanks!

Edit: does anyone know what happens to a previous standalone LR package if you subscribe to CC, then back out? Would you be able to reinstate the standalone package?
    That said, this change lessens some of my concerns about the subscription model.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lightroom and Elements are still available as retail products, so one can buy the newest version either from a store or as a download from Adobe. The other "pro" products, like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. are the ones that are subscription only.

Thanks, Manfred. But, I was wondering if I'd be able to revert to my current standalone version if I terminated the subscription, and not have to buy again e.g. by re-running the installation files. Only one way to find out, I guess, and I doubt that anyone has tried it yet.

Real Name
    Dave

I think the answer is yes, but I can't readily find the link. I'll post in the lightroomforums forum, and report back.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Lightroom and Elements are still available as retail products, so one can buy the newest version either from a store or as a download from Adobe. The other "pro" products, like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. are the ones that are subscription only.
    Understood, Paul. My main concern with going back would be any change in the software that are not backwards compatible. Adobe seems to make major changes in the underlying "engine" every few years and while they usually take care to handle old files in the new software, backwards compatibility is always a question.

In theory, I'm in a similar situation. I had a full copy of CS6 running on my machine, but once I opted for the subscription, it got sucked into the "cloud". I'm not sure how a backwards reinstall would work. By the time I drop the CC variant, I would expect CS6 to be ancient history...

Real Name
    Dave

The answer from lightroomforums, which I trust, is yes you can revert.

Dave

Thanks - good news!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Over the years, I have upgraded/moved from CS5, to CS6, to CC, but as I didn't uninstall the old apps, they are all still there and still work. (and I believe CS6 is still getting occasional ACR updates)

If you have the downloaded file or better still a DVD, you should be able to re-install if you had say; un-installed them, or more likely, changed computers, in the interim.

If problems arise with validation, I would hope Adobe would resolve them if the situation is politely explained to them.

Real Name
    Dave

A thing to be careful of. If, say, Lightroom 6 brings in a new catalogue structure, then if you reverted to Lightroom 5 your catalogue would no longer be compatible. This is starting to sound a bit horribly complicated.

Dave

Real Name
    steve

FYI - kelby on the 'what happens' question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozbf...em-uploademail

steve