Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Backpack

Real Name
    Shane

Camera Backpack

Can anyone offer a recommendation for a camera back pack that had room for my D7000 with a lens attached and two additional lenses (nothing long). Preferably it will also have some means of attaching the tripod. I am looking at this one but think it might be a tad small (although I would prefer it to be as compact as possible):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._backpack.html

Are there any features in a camera bag that you find invaluable that aren't incorporated into this one?

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Camera Backpack

Shane I have a Lowepro ProRunner 200AW which I've been quite happy with. It is somewhat similar in size to the one you mentioned and would handle all your requirements. It is a bit squarer in shape. There are bigger versions available in the ProRunner range too. You could check out the details on b&h.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 9th July 2014 at 01:28 AM.

Real Name
    Grant

Shane, I think you need to decide if you want a pack for serious trekking or a day pack for regular use and short walks. For the latter I have a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200. It has room for my camera, three lenses, filters and all the other usual stuff you need for a day walk. I also have a larger pack with a tripod mount, etc. similar to the one you are looking at but is not as well designed as the Lowepro and clumsy to use. Consequently I find that I favour the smaller Lowepro for day trips even if that means I have to carry the tripod in my spare hand. The Lowepro is more expensive but worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Grant

I also have the Lowepro ProRunner 200. It is tough, protects the contents, and has enough pockets for me to lose stuff. I use it for my portable portrait studio: Leica M and lens, two flash guns, wireless triggers, 2 spare lenses, reflector, with two brollies and two lightweight light stands strapped outside. It is well padded on the back, but is certainly not up to non-photographic trekking backpack ergonomic design standards. I wouldn't use it for long distance walking.

Real Name
    Dan

This looks like it has my three essentials: an outside water bottle carrier (I don't want water spilled on my equipment), a separate section for things other than photo gear (I don't want my lunch mixed with my lenses), and a reasonable tripod carrier. Almost no bags I have seen have all three. The next issue is the size. Bags are often sized for specific types of cameras. For example, I have an old LowePro that is excellent for my old crop camera but not quite large enough for my FF. I don't know the Nikon lineup, but you should check on its interior dimensions.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I was going to suggest that another excellent line of photo backpacks are made by Kata. I've been using one for years and have dragged my gear all over North America, Europe, Asia and Africa in it (and it is finally starting to wear out)

When I looked up their website, I see that they have been bought out by Vitec (owners of the Manfrotto brand) and ihey are now being sold under the Manfrotto label.

http://www.kata-bags.com/photo-by-carrying-type

Real Name
    Tom

I have a Lowepro Compudaypack that I used to use for travel. It was convenient for going through airport security, but just about as uncomfortable a backpack as one could possibly imagine. The one thing I learned from getting that is to never buy a backpack over the internet. You need to see it in person and, ideally, load it up with your equipment and find out how it fits on your back. FWIW

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The capability that I find really useful is Tamrac's system that allows you to easily attach and switch items hanging on the outside of the bag that don't fit inside the bag. That system increases the carrying capacity of the bag but provides great flexibility because you hang only the equipment on the outside that you need for a particular shoot. If you instead select a bag that holds everything on the inside or in storage areas permanently attached to the outside, you are restricted to always using a larger bag.

Tamrac calls that the Modular Accessory System. It is used with their Velocity series (and possibly other models). As an example, using that system, I attach the case holding five polarizer filters to my case holding the 300mm lens, which is attached to one side of the bag. I attach a case holding the speedlight and its spare batteries to the other side of the bag. When I don't need any or all of those items, I quickly remove them before heading out the door.

I can see from the photos of the bag you have tentatively selected that Tamrac has opted to permanently place storage areas on the outside rather than use its removable modular system. If you know that you will always need those storage areas, I'm sure that design will work fine for you. If not, you might prefer the flexibility of their removable modular system.

I removed the waist belt because it was so difficult to adjust its length when I added or removed a large layer of clothing during a hike. It's also difficult when adjusting it for wearing only a tee-shirt in the summer heat as opposed to wearing a thick jacket in the cold of winter. The waist belt has a buckle that requires adjusting the length of the belt before you buckle the belt. Every bag I have seen has that type of belt and buckle and I'll never use one again.

I replaced that belt with a braided leather belt that I would otherwise run through the belt loops of my pants. I simply run the belt through the buckle to whatever length is ideal for what I am wearing at the time. If I want to take another layer and perhaps also a windbreaker just in case I encounter colder or wet weather while I'm out and about, I simply hang each item on my right and left hip, running each item between my body and the belt. And I easily buckle my belt to accommodate everything without having to change the length of the belt itself.

By the way, the best backpack is the one attached to my wife's back. She carries our water, food, ponchos, hiking guide, binoculars and of course her own camera system. Do I have a good deal or what?!
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 8th July 2014 at 05:08 PM.

Real Name
    Bob

There are many backpack bags out there that should fit your needs and the one you are looking it at seems to have the major features. I have 2 backpack style bags I use. Like other here, I have found that I want one for short photo outings and one for longer, day long treks. I have a Lowepro 202 sling bag for my short outings and a Clik backpack for carrying more gear and personal items for longer treks. I think the main thing I learned buying camera bags, is to go check them out if you can so you can see all the features and make sure your gear will fit. The Clik bag I bought was on sale and it will hold a large telephoto lens if need be, but I can actually put my camera (Canon 7D) in that location. I would have never purchased this bag if I had not checked it out. I also have one of the Canon backpacks which I use for travel. This bag is fine for carrying gear on vacation and carry-on for airplanes, but not that comfortable for day treks.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Shane,

I have the Lowepro Flipside AW 15L bag. I would've purchased the smaller 10L except I needed this size to fit my camera with the 300 mm lens. It also fits my camera and a couple of other lens.

I like this bag because it fits everything I need and it also has lots of little pockets and compartments to fit all my accessories, plus a water bottle. And it is water proof (has a rain hood) which is very handy for me when out hiking because it rains a lot where I live. It also has a tripod carrier but because my tripod is so heavy I had to purchase a clip to make sure it was secure. I wish the tripod attached in the middle of the bag because the extra weight on one side of the bag is uncomfortable for long hikes, so I end up carrying my tripod instead of leaving it attached. (I think I need to buy a smaller and lighter tripod for hiking) It looks like it has those outside clips that Mike is referring to, and if yes, I have yet to try them.

It is my first and only camera bag, and I'm happy with it but I can only speak from my personal experience with it. The larger bag would dwarf me and the smaller bag wouldn't fit my 300 mm lens.

For more info see

http://www.lowepro.com/flipside

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    It looks like it has those outside clips that Mike is referring to
    The Tamrac Modular Accessory System doesn't involve clips. The system involves wide straps built into the bag and accessories made to attach to the straps.

The larger bag would dwarf me and the smaller bag wouldn't fit my 300 mm lens.
    That's why I attach my 300mm lens to the outside of the bag rather than use a larger bag for storing the lens on the inside.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

My apologies for the dumb question but what do you use to attach your lens to the things on the outside of the bag. My bag has a plastic clip and a little elastic strap above and below the clip. And wouldn't the attached lens bounce around on the outside of the bag, possibly damaging it, especially if one was walking fast or climbing over rocks?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The Tamrac Modular Accessory System doesn't involve clips. The system involves wide straps built into the bag and accessories made to attach to the straps.

That's why I attach my 300mm lens to the outside of the bag rather than use a larger bag for storing the lens on the inside.

Real Name
    Dan

My primary recommendation is accommodated by Christina's Flipside pack. That is that it opens from the front(i.e. the side the straps are on) rather than the back. Advantages:
    1) prevents leaving the pack unzipped then dumping it when you sling it on your back
    2) with back entry if you lay it on the ground the straps get dusty/muddy/snowy and then you sling it on your shoulders. With front entry you lay it on its back so no issue.
    3) with back entry, if you have a tripod hanging on the back it has to be taken off in order to open the pack

I currently have a conventional back opening pack that I was perfectly happy with until I saw the front entry versions. Now I don't like my pack any more. Ignorance is bliss...

Christina,

The lens is safely stored inside a closed, soft case that provides plenty of padding (as are my polarizers and speedlight). The case has a flap on the back extending the entire length of the case. That flap is inserted between the wide strap on the bag and the bag itself. The flap is then attached to its case with snaps built into the bottom of the strap and with velcro built into the flap and the case. Any secure third-party accessory that has a flap that will fit into the strap on the bag will work but I have always bought Tamrac cases because they are designed as part of the system.

I've walked miles with that darned lens over all kinds of terrain and have never felt anything other than its weight. In the future, I'm gonna be more discriminating about how far I carry it just because of the added weight, not out of any concern for safety. Otherwise, I'll ask my wife to carry it.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 8th July 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Mike. I had this vision of straps on my uncased lens hooked onto the hooks on my bag. LOL Truly appreciated.

Indeed, I think you are a very lucky man that you are to be married to that woman! meals, too!

PS Dan, Thank you for pointing out the other good features of my bag. Yes it is nice that it opens the other way around.

Christina,

The lens is safely stored inside a closed, soft case that provides plenty of padding (as are my polarizers and speedlight). The case has a flap on the back extending the entire length of the case. That flap is inserted between the wide strap on the bag and the bag itself. The flap is then attached to its case with snaps built into the bottom of the strap and with velcro built into the flap and the case. Any secure third-party accessory that has a flap that will fit into the strap on the bag will work but I have always bought Tamrac cases because they are designed as part of the system.

I've walked miles with that darned lens over all kinds of terrain and have never felt anything other than its weight. In the future, I'm gonna be more discriminating about how far I carry it just because of the added weight, not out of any concern for safety. Otherwise, I'll ask my wife to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Indeed, I think you are a very lucky man that you are to be married to that woman! meals, too!
    Yes, I'm very lucky. However, ahem, I cook all the meals.

Real Name
    Bruce

This is to Mike. You were discussing the M.A.S. system in the Tamrac line. Do you have, by any chance, the Velocity series.
    If you do, do you hook your 300mm lens onto the bag's strap?

Bruce

Bruce,

Yes, it's the Velocity 8X. The Tamrac lens case that holds the 300mm lens hooks onto either strap that is on the side of the bag. When I'm using that configuration, the Tamrac case that holds my polarizer filters is attached to the top of the lens case. I attach the speedlight case to the strap on the other side of the bag. The various cases securely attach to each other or the bag, making the modular system very handy. Works like a charm!

The items stored in the main part of the bag: Nikon D7000 and neck strap, 12-24 zoom, 35mm lens, 85mm lens, 180mm lens and a rocket blower. When I'm in airports, I also fit a backup Nikon D80 and a Hoodman Loupe in that main area, but that makes that area too tight for comfortably working in the field. Lots of miscellaneous items are stored in the two flaps.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 8th July 2014 at 10:30 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Bruce,

Yes, it's the Velocity 8X. The Tamrac lens case that holds the 300mm lens hooks onto either strap that is on the side of the bag. When I'm using that configuration, the Tamrac case that holds my polarizer filters is attached to the top of the lens case. I attach the speedlight case to the strap on the other side of the bag. The various cases securely attach to each other or the bag, making the modular system very handy. Works like a charm!

The items stored in the main part of the bag: Nikon D7000 and neck strap, 12-24 zoom, 35mm lens, 85mm lens, 180mm lens and a rocket blower. When I'm in airports, I also fit a backup Nikon D80 and a Hoodman Loupe in that main area, but that makes that area too tight for comfortably working in the field. Lots of miscellaneous items are stored in the two flaps.
    Mike, I have the 8x as well for my D300. How do you fasten the lens case to the straps on the 8x. If it is Velcro, I would worry about the weight of the 300mm lens tearing the Velcro away from the bag strap, or is it attached another way?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Mike, I have the 8x as well for my D300. How do you fasten the lens case to the straps on the 8x. If it is Velcro, I would worry about the weight of the 300mm lens tearing the Velcro away from the bag strap, or is it attached another way?
    There is absolutely no chance that the Velcro will tear away. Just the opposite, there is so much Velcro that it's a pain in the neck pulling the Velcro system apart when I want to remove the lens case from the camera bag. First, the velcro system on the lens case is heavy duty Velcro and is 3" wide and 10" long. Second, as I explained in my post to Christina, there are two metal snaps also attaching the bottom of the flap to its case. Using the Velcro and the snaps is analogous to wearing suspenders and a belt to hold up a pair of pants; either the Velcro or the snaps by themselves would be sufficient.

If you order the Tamrac lens case from B&H and aren't comfortable with it, they'll take it back with no questions asked. Once you see the case, I'm sure you'll feel comfortable that it's safe, especially considering that I'm explaining that I've used mine hiking up and down mountains and over wet, slippery boulders in Iceland and on trails in Sedona and Scottsdale, Arizona for many miles. The system never loosened in the slightest and looks brand new.

I'll be hiking for about ten days (if my body holds up!) in the mountain islands of Lofoten, Norway, and I'll be using the system there as well. The absolute last thing on my mind is that the lens will become damaged or that the lens case will separate from the camera bag.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 9th July 2014 at 01:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast