Thread: 60D battery-registration?

60D battery-registration?

My Canon 60D provides the option of registering the accu.
    The manual says I can do that (surprise) but not a lot more.
    Why would I register my battery???

Any thoughts?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: 60D battery-registration?

In case a recall is required. Cameras use lithium-ion batteries and if there is a problem, they can pose a serious fire hazard. These batteries contain special circuitry to ensure no thermal runaway occurs during charging, and the encapsulated lithium can burn on contact with air (which is why it is illegal to check lithium batteries in your luggage, and special shipping arrangements are required to transport them).

Nikon has had a recall on the batteries used in the D800 shortly after the camera started shipping, and Sony had a massive recall of ones they produced for laptops.

Real Name
    Steve

Are you allowed to take camera's on aircraft as hand luggage and do security rip your equipment apart? Seems the easiest way to check a camera is to switch it on and take a photo, but I don't know. I've never been on an airliner but might soon.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Of course you are allowed to take a camera on board as hand luggage. Spare batteries too. I've done so many times; I do get hand searched on occassion when I take a lot of gear, but usually nothing other than running through the x-ray machine.

Thank you guys. I'm a bit smarter now.