Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Signs of Spring

Signs of Spring

Just a quick snap in the garden without any forethought.

Signs of Spring

If I had involved some 'prethought' to this scene I would have produced a 'sanitised' version; but now, I rather like the idea of those crocus flowering above all that overwinter debris. Definitely not a prizewinner, but I find it cheerful when there is a cold wind outside.

Brightened and deepened the parsley colour slightly and sharpened the flowers. Reduced the highlights a fraction which prints OK but it does appear a fraction overexposed on this cheap and uncalibrated monitor.

(I have reduced the brightness a little from the default settings but perhaps I need to drop it a touch more)

Real Name
    David

Re: Signs of Spring

Geoff - Nice "candid" image. I might have brightened it a little but that's the great thing about different photographers having different views. This would be a good image to illustrate some of the points of view expressed in the thread about digital photography, post-processing and art.

Cheers

David

I have plenty of 'standard issue' photos of crocus on carefully controlled bare soil so I wanted to include more of the background here but keep it rather on the dark side to contrast with the brighter flowers. Maybe a touch more sharpening of the background may be an idea but I don't want to be competing too strongly with the flowers.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Geoff

That's lovely. Them growing through the winter debris lends an informal, natural feel; i.e. not manicured.