Thread: Setting the Colour Space in Lightroom & Photoshop CC

Real Name
    Christina

Setting the Colour Space in Lightroom & Photoshop CC

I have my camera set to the sRGB colour space.

I was certain that I also had my colour space in Lightroom and Photoshop CC set to sRGB however it has been brought to my attention that the images I'm posting are Adobe RGB. Adobe Photoshop CC is new to me as it came along with Lightroom in the Cloud package. I suspect that my chosen colour space might be changing when I export a file as a PSD from Lightroom but I'm not sure.

Below I have posted some screen shots of my colour settings with the hope that someone might be able to advise/see if I have set the colour space settings correctly, or not.

Thank you.

Lightroom

Adobe Photoshop CC

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Setting the Colour Space in Lightroom & Photoshop CC

First of all Christina - you are looking at two totally different issues; the colour space you are working in and the colour space you are posting in. There is no right and wrong here, just your personal preferences. I have a display that is high gamut, so I never use sRGB for any in-processs work. My camera (and your camera) produce 14-bit images; so why would I cripple my work by effectively using the 8-bit sRGB colour space?

I do all my work in a high gamut workspace (usually AdobeRGB but I have been playing around in ProPhoto lately) and then convert to sRGB only when posting for display on the internet. This is my final step and I generally throw out the image after posting. As I show my images on a high gamut screen and do all my prints out of Photoshop files, I have no need to sRGB except for that one use.

Real Name
    Dan

There is no option that I know of to set a color working space in Lightroom. It's native color space is Melissa, a variant of prophoto RGB. If you import a raw file, that is what it will use. It automatically translates that to make the display reasonable when you work on the image, but it doesn't actually change the color space until you export the file as a jpg or TIFF. At that point, if you are going to display on the web, specify sRGB in the export dialog. It is sticky, so you only have to do it once. for any export setting or preset.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Manfred.

How do I know what colour space I am working in? Is that the same as the external editing in Lightroom... Which I should change to 16 bit in the 2nd box?

And in Photoshop CC... ?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    First of all Christina - you are looking at two totally different issues; the colour space you are working in and the colour space you are posting in. There is no right and wrong here, just your personal preferences. I have a display that is high gamut, so I never use sRGB for any in-processs work. My camera (and your camera) produce 14-bit images; so why would I cripple my work by effectively using the 8-bit sRGB colour space?

I do all my work in a high gamut workspace (usually AdobeRGB but I have been playing around in ProPhoto lately) and then convert to sRGB only when posting for display on the internet. This is my final step and I generally throw out the image after posting. As I show my images on a high gamut screen and do all my prints out of Photoshop files, I have no need to sRGB except for that one use.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Dan. Appreciated!

I have double checked LR and I believe I now have the correct settings for exporting files.

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    There is no option that I know of to set a color working space in Lightroom. It's native color space is Melissa, a variant of prophoto RGB. If you import a raw file, that is what it will use. It automatically translates that to make the display reasonable when you work on the image, but it doesn't actually change the color space until you export the file as a jpg or TIFF. At that point, if you are going to display on the web, specify sRGB in the export dialog. It is sticky, so you only have to do it once. for any export setting or preset.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred, may I ask how you convert to sRGB in photoshop part of PS CC. I know how to do it in ACR because there is an option for it. But if I open my raw image in photoshop part of PS CC, I save it as psd first and only option is AdobeRGB, then after editing I save it as JPG and only option is AdobeRGB again. If I open a JPG image which was taken by my camera in photoshop part and if I save it after my edit, then the option is sRGB. So how can I convert my edited raw image to sRGBin photoshop part?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Manfred, may I ask how you convert to sRGB in photoshop part of PS CC. I know how to do it in ACR because there is an option for it. But if I open my raw image in photoshop part of PS CC, I save it as psd first and only option is AdobeRGB, then after editing I save it as JPG and only option is AdobeRGB again. If I open a JPG image which was taken by my camera in photoshop part and if I save it after my edit, then the option is sRGB. So how can I convert my edited raw image to sRGBin photoshop part?
    Under the Edit menu select "Convert to Profile"; it's near the bottom of the list and select sRGB ICE61966-2.1

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Thank you Manfred.

How do I know what colour space I am working in? Is that the same as the external editing in Lightroom... Which I should change to 16 bit in the 2nd box?

And in Photoshop CC... ?

Thank you.
    I think you have it in the screenshots that you have posted, and yes, use 16-bit. Dan is right, so far as I understand how Lightroom is set up.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Christina I noticed in your last screen shot you have all the colour management policy set to preserve embedded profiles and that seems to be what Photoshop is obediently doing. You should set them to use your preferred colour space and set the profile mismatch option to your preference. I have it set it to ask on opening - that way if I ever edit someone else's image I will be asked what colour space I wish to use.

P.S. I would never work in sRGB for my own photographs - export in sRGB yes - work in it no.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 10th May 2014 at 10:58 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for sharing and advising. I will figure it out how to change the settings. I think I have also been working on 8bit images, but only sometimes. It is the confusion of having Photoshop CC along with Lightroom.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Christina I noticed in your last screen shot you have all the colour management policy set to preserve embedded profiles and that seems to be what Photoshop is obediently doing. You should set them to use your preferred colour space and set the profile mismatch option to your preference. I have it set it to ask on opening - that way if I ever edit someone else's image I will be asked what colour space I wish to use.

P.S. I would never work in sRGB for my own photographs - export in sRGB yes - work in it no.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    There is no option that I know of to set a color working space in Lightroom. It's native color space is Melissa, a variant of prophoto RGB.
    Hi Dan,

No - Melissa RGB (a Gamma 2.2 varient of linear pro-photo) is only used for the percentages and histogram displays; internally it's all linear gamma / pro-photo.

Real Name

PS: Christina, if you're shooting RAW then it doesn't matter what colourspace the camera is set to - it's ignored (because a RAW file doesn't have a colourspace -- it has to be converted first).

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Colin,

Thank you for sharing... For some reason it seems that the images I've been posting lately are in aRGB but I just checked the images I just posted and the exif say sRGB so I think I managed to change my settings to what they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    PS: Christina, if you're shooting RAW then it doesn't matter what colourspace the camera is set to - it's ignored (because a RAW file doesn't have a colourspace -- it has to be converted first).

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Hi Colin,

Thank you for sharing... For some reason it seems that the images I've been posting lately are in aRGB but I just checked the images I just posted and the exif say sRGB so I think I managed to change my settings to what they should be.
    Well done!

Personally, I work in a wider space and then just click on a button that runs an action that converts an image to sRGB before saving a JPEG copy for the web.