Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lytros Anyone?

Real Name
    Dan

Lytros Anyone?

So has anyone seen the announcement of the Lytros light field camera? Interestingly, I'm seriously considering it. For the simple reason that I think it may be a way to get my bride interested in photography. She has a pretty good eye for compositions but just can't come to grips with the technology. I'm hoping that the light field technology may allow her to focus on composition in the field and deal with the technical aspects at leisure. It would be awfully nice to have a second photographer in the family. And I have completely given up hope on Grace

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Lytros Anyone?

I have no grace and because I am growing old and grumpy I have completely given up on grace to....

Saw the info on the previous version of the Lytros camera and was fascinated with the concept. Until I read your post I was unaware a new model is about to be released. Looks more robust and professional than the first version. Will certainly be reading the inevitable reviews with interest.

Go on, get one and tell us all about it. But try to remember you are not buying it for yourself - well that's what you told us....

Real Name
    John

Can't help Dan but I had a look at it on their site and I'm fascinated (and I suspect you are as well ).

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

If you will buy it for Grace, just for the generousity of your gesture and the thought that you put in it to include her in your hobby, I am sure she will be interested in using it. The fact that she has already been nudging you to take this shot and that shot, maybe she is really interested in photography but she need your guiding hand to teach her the ropes of operating a simple camera. Mother's Day is just around the corner, mate...Teaching her how to operate a camera is one more way the two of you can put time together communicating your interests in photography. I bet you once she has made a few mistakes and you help her correct them, (gently albeit slowly told) then she'll thank you for it...and be more proud of you, as if she is not yet.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Love the design but it's a £1500 toy. Pretty sure ye can do most of these things with yer phone camera and some apps...

I will definitely go for that at some point in the future.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/22/ly...hotos-forever/

Choose your DoF, seems pretty cutting edge to me. Doesn't seem to matter where you focused, you can change it. Even if this particular iteration isn't spot on, version 2.0, or 3.0 is going to be a very interesting piece of technology.

Smartphone apps appear to emulate what this camera can do but not actually do what this camera does. I think this would be great for street photography.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/22/ly...hotos-forever/

Choose your DoF, seems pretty cutting edge to me. Doesn't seem to matter where you focused, you can change it. Even if this particular iteration isn't spot on, version 2.0, or 3.0 is going to be a very interesting piece of technology.

Smartphone apps appear to emulate what this camera can do but not actually do what this camera does. I think this would be great for street photography.
    light field photography is over 100 years old. Ah'd say that this camera emulates phone apps, not the reverse, though phone cameras have better IQ. Friend of mine nearly bought the previous version but said that it was worse than his first digital compact, which he'd bought about 15 years previously...This is version 3.0, about as great a leap forward as Mao's.

When yev finished playing with taking shots of fruit at different DoFs... what ye gonna use it for? Emperors new clothes indeed...