Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sunset

sunset

I took this pic on the weekend and I am looking for feedback on it. The sky is what caught my eye. I was trying to get all of the wispy clouds in but didn't have enough angle to get the ocean in as well, thus the skinny strip of ocean at the bottom. Should I have left out the bit of ocean and just gone for the sky only? Or??? Suggestions and critiques are welcomed. I think I may have overdone the saturation a tad too.

sunset

Re: sunset

That is beautiful! Excellent Shot!!!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

WoW Rita....that is a very nice find! Sometimes we just have to look up and see wonders. The sea and the sky are wonderful subjects to catch.

Real Name
    Pania

Beautiful. The sea does not reflect the colour of the sky very well, guess it was the breeze ruffling it

Real Name
    John

Looks good.

Real Name
    John

You just had to do something with that sky Rita. Just very nice as it is but you could save it as a possible BG for something else.

Jeffbridge, thank you.

Isabel, Thank you. I thought of you when I took this. My thought was that the wispy cloud looked like giant eyelashes. You are feeding my weird humor . But, you are so right that sometimes we just have to look up and see the wonders.

Panic, thank you. The water had quit a bit of movement as the tide was coming so there wasn't a good reflection unfortunately.

John, thank you.

John2, thank you. Now that you mention keeping it as a background I can picture it with a beautiful bald eagle in flight.

Real Name
    Andrew

Disclaimer: I am viewing this on an uncalibrated monitor with too much light coming in from the window behind me at work.

I think the sky is terrific and in this instance the saturation provides a unique appearance without making me feel uncomfortable. The water, on the other hand, has an odd yellow-gold cast to it that I find bothersome. Perhaps selectively desaturating the water might help?

Neat image!

Andrew

Andrew, thank you for the feedback. I will give that a try. Now shouldn't you be working if you are at work

How is this Andrew?
    sunset

Real Name
    Binnur

Edit looks much better Rita ,very nice image indeed. And if you could just level the horizon

Binnur, thank you. Phooey, I didn't notice that the horizon was off a bit. I will fix that.

Level horizon

sunset

Real Name
    Andrew

Rita - I like the edited version better but now we are getting into the realm of personal preferences and ultimately what YOU like is what counts. For what it is worth I think it's a terrific image.

Andrew

Andrew, when I originally did the edit I wasn't sold on the colour of the water but I like it much better now. Your tip of selectively desaturating the water was very helpful. I am learning and most appreciative of all pointers

Real Name
    Andrew

Rita - I consider myself a neophyte at this so it's all a learning experience for me as well. It is a pleasure to have this site and the company of others as we explore the photographic possibilities.

So very true Andrew, I wouldn't be anywhere near as far as I am (and a very long way to go) if it wasn't for this site. I have learned/learning so much here.

Real Name
    Binnur

IMO it looks excellent now

Quote Originally Posted by Rita View Post
    Level horizon

sunset

Thank you Binnur.

Real Name
    Grahame

Rita, a well spotted unusual cloud formation that you have captured well.

I am not aware of your PP skill level and I'm certainly going through the learning stage for this type of image but if it were mine I would try and address the following in an aim to get the most out of it I could and also assist my PP learning;

a) the left side has a vignette top and bottom either caused by lens or added but this looks a bit to far off balance to the right side. It may be worthwhile toning this down just a bit?

b) not sure what has happened with the lower cloud far bottom right but it appears some cloning has caused it to fall into the water Two options, clone again using the cloud/horizon/sea left of the boat or crop this out. Cropping would unfortunately lose part of the cloud wisps .

c) as for saturation it's very much personal preference but my own preference would have been somewhere between the two for the water and as the second image mod for the sky.

It's certainly an image worth exploring more.

Grahame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast