Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Does the focal point detract from this?

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Does the focal point detract from this?

I went to the Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary in Charlotte, NC this past weekend. I took a ton of pictures, and have been going through them editing. I took this particular one with greyscale in mind, but when I got home and started to edit, I noticed that my focus was not in the place I had intended.

I had tried to make the focus on the rims in the foreground, but apparently, I missed. Do you think that detracts from it?

Here is another one that I took from farther back and kept in color. I also don't know if I'm fond of this one. Any thoughts?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Does the focal point detract from this?

24 + views and no comment? Come on guys....!!! and gals??

Well Kim -- I like both shots, especially #2 but if your intended are not what you got, maybe you got something in some of your shots that can be translated to B/W instead? Who was it who has this signature...I think it is Erick Estrada -- Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... I am not an expert in anything so let us wait if someone will wake up and respond...

Quote Originally Posted by IShootPeople View Post

I had tried to make the focus on the rims in the foreground, but apparently, I missed. Do you think that detracts from it?
    I think you've got an interesting picture here.
    Just don't tell people you 'missed' and they won't notice

I think it would make a good starting point for a high contrast B&W abstract, using experimentation in PS.
    (I've spent ages looking for a person or pet, but still can't see them )

Real Name
    John

There are other editing techniques that can be used to draw the viewer to the section you feel is most important. You could apply a vignette, or apply additional sharpening to the GT emblem, it's up to you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I think you've got three options regarding the issue in the first one:

1 & 2: John's suggestions, though sharpening an out-of-focus area often creates nasty artifacts
    3: Recreate the first photo or something similar using a crop of the second photo. You will be more limited in the size of a print you can make, but the file will be plenty large enough to display very nicely on the Internet.

The second photo doesn't work for me because of the cars included in the frame.

In the first image, having the second wheel sharp does make the softness of the first one more noticeable.

With #2, I wonder about a slight crop from the left side and top to contain the interest in a more compact area. I suspect that a very small reduction would have sufficient impact.

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

Hmm.. very good points, everyone! Thank you! I do think that a reworking of the second image may produce what I was originally after. That one is at least focused in the correct area, so it should work out!

Again, thank you all!

Real Name
    Grahame

Kim, I would have preferred to see the focal point on the GT of the left wheel but it's still a good image as is.

As for No 2, for me it's just a record of some wheels on sale.

Grahame