Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: To 5D or Not to 5D, that is the question.

Real Name
    Ife.

To 5D or Not to 5D, that is the question.

Hello everyone! It's been quite a while and i hope i meet you all in good health. For some who may remember, I am the guy with the infamous 1000d. Now, the camera is finally busted, it is time to move on.

At the moment, I am being offered a neatly used Canon 5D mark i for the naira equivalent of about 550 dollars, body only, 2 batteries and a grip. More experienced friends say it is a good deal. I tried reading reviews online where i learned about it being a full frame and so on...however, i need advise based on experience whether it will be a wise purchase. Already sad that my recently-purchased 18-55mm lens will be completely useless on it, I'm planning to sell it off though.

I have a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a Sigma 70-300(will this work on it?). I've been told the 50mm will work on it but considering my wallet is not in a mood for purchasing new lenses at the moment, will the 50mm suffice for portraits, weddings etc. Furthermore, is it a problem that the camera is only 12mp.

What will this camera bring to me that the 1000D(blessed memory) would not.
    Thank you very much.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: To 5D or Not to 5D, that is the question.

They sell for less than that on eBay in the U.S. You can look by selecting "other refinements" and then "completed sales only". The first three I found were all under $500.

It all depends on what you shoot. However, for my use, I wouldn't buy one. It is a very out-of-date camera. Check out this: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ca...mparison-19775. It will give you full frame, but in other respects, it is not competitive with more modern cameras, and it would force you to sell and replace one of your lenses. Maybe 2. 50mm is a classic portrait length on a crop sensor, but it is a bit short for that on a full frame.

There is another thread on this forum, right next to yours, where people debate the pros and cons of full frame. I won both full frame and crop. There are specific uses for which one or the other is superior, but the honest answer is that for a lot of what I do, it doesn't make a real difference. See what people wrote there.

Real Name
    Yes

I would agree with Dank, though always better to buy a second hand camera with known history.

In its day 5D was a great camera. But it is dated. 12mp is ok, just, but coupled with its now poor high iso use, a lot of noise above ISO800, its not a bargain. The 5D also has no sensor cleaning, and had a problem with oil from the shutter, so you may find you need to became an expert at sensor cleaning - I certainly found I had to clean it often.

Mine is now relegated to beach or drinking session photography where its solid build may be needed.

Incidently have any others used the old 20-35mm f3.5 - 4.5 zoom on it. It gives good results at 12mp whilst being quite lightweight for a ff zoom.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

I could never put up with that awful LCD screen.

As a 5D owner and a 40D owner I think the 5D is a good camera (I have never shot with anything newer than a 40D)
    The small screen on the back doesn't worry me as I mostly use it for checking the histogram.
    12MP is enough.
    Your 50mm lens will be ok for general purpose photography, however it is a bit short for portraits, I prefer to use an 85mm or even a 135mm (I own both an 85 and 135)

Real Name
    Lex

The included batteries and grip make that a fairly competitive price. The 5D mkI's main drawback is its basic autofocus system (only a problem in low light). 12MP isn't much these days, but it's enough for most applications. Large prints are the exception. The 5D series is justly famous for beautiful skin tones, and the 50mm f/1.8 mkII will pair rather well with it for street photography and some portraiture. The 50 is a sufficiently versatile focal length to live with it for a while. One focal length is enough to make a portfolio, or even a career.

I'd go for it. The camera will probably frustrate you in some ways, but personally, I will put up with an ergonomically iffy camera in the name of good files. Another plus is that the camera's pretty much done depreciating (it has two newer replacements), so if you don't like it, you should be able to re-sell it at minimal or no loss.