Thread: The last angle (maybe!) on the barn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The last angle (maybe!) on the barn

In this one I wanted the snow and ice to reflect the colour from the sunrise. The rising sun is just over my left shoulder and, rarely for me, I actually pulled out my wide angle lens. I struggled with the barn and I am still not sure I got it right. It wanted to get to go some nasty orange yellow in my hands. i would value opinions on this and any other aspects

Out of camera, with cleaning of sensor junk, for comparison of my conversion/vision and for other peoples versions for me to learn from. Just don't get vertigo from the horizon line. In my defense the tripod did not like standing level on the snow and persistently had one or more legs slowly sink while I was using the remote release (shot mirror up)

Last edited by tbob; 18th April 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: The last angle (maybe!) on the barn

Superb Trevor,great image and P.P,well done

David

Real Name
    Binnur

I like it very much Trevor.Very nice light , composition and texture

That looks a much better angle to me.

Whether you have gone a fraction too far in processing will probably vary between different personal tastes. And with good arguments on both sides.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Whether you have gone a fraction too far in processing will probably vary between different personal tastes. And with good arguments on both sides.
    I suppose that is why it is art rather than science. Hard for me sometimes to hit a moving target.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Trevor...it's the light that makes the image and with your PP it turned out great.
    Hindsight being what it is, I might submit that your being somewhat closer may have served you better.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

The PP version is a significant improvement but like Geoff, I feel that backing off the vibrance just a hair might improve the image even more. I like it!

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Trevor, I like the pp you have done. i also like the vastness, the expanse of land that you show with the barn. You would lose that atmosphere if you shot tighter, I would think.

Marie

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It's not just the way the light hits the barn so nicely; it's also the way the light rakes across the snow to reveal such great texture.

You should be ashamed that you haven't given your poor tripod snow shoes. I would be willing to bet that you didn't get your feet wet.

Real Name
    Grahame

Perhaps the text book example of if you get it right in camera (ignoring horizon) what can be achieved, superb.

As for the saturation/vibrance it looks slightly overcooked in the smaller version but when you enlarge in the lytebox to me it's fine.

Good one Trevor.

Real Name
    Dan

Nicely done, Trevor. My first impulse would be to crop some off the bottom but as presented the foreground helps tell the overall story/provide the overall feel to the image. Again were I standing there my impulse would have been to walk closer and compose with the barn dominating the image which would have been totally different(not better).

Nicely presented and hopefully the lessons will stick with me and will lead me to consider different compositions in the future.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Through the magic of the wide angle zoom lens, this is the best I can do to satisfy those who like the barn larger.

I could not get closer because that meltwater puddle between me and the barn has only a thin layer of ice. Not enough to support 230 pounds of photographer and gear. This fact was verified about ten minutes before the shoot was set up. Luckily the puddle is about 6 inches deep and my boot top is about 6.1 inches high. Mike wins his bet on a technicality.

Yellow saturation and overall vibrance cut back by one slider unit each on this one.

Last edited by tbob; 19th April 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I could not get closer because that meltwater puddle between me and the barn
    Trevor, taking into consideration that we recently had a thread concerning our difficulties in reaching our vantage points...saying that you didn't want to get your tootsies wet just doesn't cut it.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Trevor, taking into consideration that we recently had a thread concerning our difficulties in reaching our vantage points...saying that you didn't want to get your tootsies wet just doesn't cut it.
    Are you implying I am just a big sissy? I resent that, I am not just a big sissy, I am also a wimp and a sniveller.
    Last edited by tbob; 19th April 2014 at 04:54 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Taking into consideration that I worship daily at the alter of cowardness...just ignore my criticism.

Real Name
    Mark

Terrific. Best of the series. I think the original version is just fine - probably how you saw it in your mind's eye, so not necessary to have objective accuracy... as much as fidelity to the impression of the moment.

Real Name
    Dan

The second version is nice too. More barn detail and kept all of the elements of the surroundings. With the barn larger in the frame there isn't quite the same sense of cold isolation. Nicely done on all accounts.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Through the magic of the wide angle zoom lens, this is the best I can do to satisfy those who like the barn larger.

I could not get closer because that meltwater puddle between me and the barn has only a thin layer of ice. Not enough to support 230 pounds of photographer and gear. This fact was verified about ten minutes before the shoot was set up. Luckily the puddle is about 6 inches deep and my boot top is about 6.1 inches high. Mike wins his bet on a technicality.

Yellow saturation and overall vibrance cut back by one slider unit each on this one.

Even better! I can feel the cold biting at my nose. It's like being there!