Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D300s replacement !

Real Name
    John

Re: D300s replacement !

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Real birders shoot canon
    ...and then take their photographs with Nikon!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Hmmm....not interested in the replacement of the D300s -- my next one will be a full frame camera. Saving for a D800e.
    save your money D600/610 much better and cheaper, I use my 3200 as often as my 600!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by SDChester View Post
    save your money D600/610 much better and cheaper, I use my 3200 as often as my 600!
    I would have to disagree. The D800(E) is a much superior camera. The controls, layout and faster focusing. I looked at the D600 as a backup for my D800 and found it more similar to the D90 (sensor of course is better) in build and handling.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post

A full frame is pointless for me as I shoot 99% sports and rely on and need the "crop factor" for tele lenses, a 500mm on mine is therefore a 750 getting me into the action from the shoreline.
    If I were you I would look for a good cond secondhand D3 FF. Faster burst rate (9FPS and you will get it everytime with good CF card), great with high ISO for night time sport shooting, faster play back and much longer battery life (probably 3 times D300s) etc. These little advantages are matter to most sport photographers. I dont know about your part of the world but I have seen a few advertised in my local area for very reasonable prices. Make sure you ask about the shutter counts although these work horses were built to last and tough as nails which is why they are perfect for outdoor rumbling

I would have to disagree. The D800(E) is a much superior camera. The controls, layout and faster focusing. I looked at the D600 as a backup for my D800 and found it more similar to the D90 (sensor of course is better) in build and handling.
    I agreed with Manfred. I used to own D600 but sold it last year. Image wise, it is as good as any pro models but the 39 FP is a bit too small for my liking. My D600 had lots shutter machenism debris (at least 30-40 dots) on sensor after 4000 clicks (only showing from F14 -). Even with lens attachment, D800 has a much smoother and more roburst feel when you rotate the lens to lock. Physically, D600 is smaller than D800 and D300s so If you have big hands/fingers you would struggle with buttons operation.
    Last edited by dragon76; 24th April 2014 at 01:15 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dragon76 View Post
    If I were you I would look for a good cond secondhand D3 FF. Faster burst rate (9FPS and you will get it everytime with good CF card), great with high ISO for night time sport shooting, faster play back and much longer battery life (probably 3 times D300s) etc. These little advantages are matter to most sport photographers. I dont know about your part of the world but I have seen a few advertised in my local area for very reasonable prices. Make sure you ask about the shutter counts although these work horses were built to last and tough as nails which is why they are perfect for outdoor rumbling
    When I decided to upgrade to FF a good used D3 or D3s was on my shopping list. A local pawn(got to make sure I get the right spelling with this word) shop advertised a D3 on a web auction site. I went to go and check it out but other people checking it out had flattened the battery. I live out of town so did not get a chance to test it again but it looked hardly used. Followed the auction but once it got over 70% of what a new D800 was I lost interest. Still a very good option if you find one at the right price.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Nikon's marketing has gotten so weird the last couple of years there's no telling. Logically they should simply put the awesome sensor from the D7100 into a pro body with the new expeed4 processing. But if recent history means anything that is not a likely scenario. At any rate we'll not likely know until August/September.
    If as I suspect gthe D7100 uses a Sony sensor you might find that the new cameras revert to Panasonic. There is no doubt that Panasonic will want to continue selling sensors and will compete with Sony on that basis. If that happens maybe the cameras will revert to Sony in the future - more competition.

Currently if I bought FF it would be a Sony if the single lens I would want with it was available. As things stand 2 would be needed.

Marketing is what some call mature. Not as it used to be especially from Japanese companies. I had hope that the wiki would have something interesting to say on mature markets but unfortunately it hasn't. One loosely related other one is the new car market.

On buying used cameras my 5D was used when I bought it. Main agent repair centres reckon that the software that is available doesn't actually get the real number of clicks. Anyway I took mine in for a clean/service. Worrying time as they take a phone number in case the owner needs to know about something - particularly shutter count. As it turns out all ok but replacing the shutter costs about £200 - sort of affordable if they were being straight and there are no other costs. The clean etc costed £70.

John
    -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123