Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which video camera?

which video camera?

I wish to buy good camera mainly for video shooting of social functions, outings, traveling trips , vacations, home moments etc. Can shoot clearly in night also.

I am noob even in what to choose DLSR or Handycam...

Having Panasonic Lumia digital photo camera, I wish to add camera for video shooting. Pl help to choose. Budget- max INR 40000/-. I am from india.

Edit:- Just taught some basic from tutorials. Need to choose among SLR/SLT or MILCs. Target to buy camera having good movie features, light-compact, long battery hours with quality video shoot.
    Last edited by Doremon; 11th April 2014 at 07:35 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: which video camera?

To help those who may wish to reply, INR 40,000 equates to about 660 USD or 395 GBP.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Welcome to CiC Doremon. It will be nice if you can fill in your profile to show your location and name at the bottom to show how we can refer to you as.

As to the answer to your question, I was once in your shoes because of my varied interest in many things including photography. I am still in a crop camera but it serves as dual purpose if I want to because it has the best of both worlds -- still shot and a movie camera. Even a simple point and shoot and iPhone has that capability too so why buy a video camera when you can do both with one?

That's nice IzzieK. I already use Lumix Pannasonic Digital Camera shoots video also. Wish to add one movie camera now to record quality clips in either traveling, outing, day to day, function, festival in day light as well in night.
    By the way, which camera gear u r using?
    Last edited by Doremon; 11th April 2014 at 10:29 AM.

Real Name
    Lex

The Canon 60D is a very common camera for budget filming. There are lots of them on the used market, which should fit your budget if Indian-market prices are similar to US-market prices. Combined with free Magic Lantern software, it's a very capable video camera.

Note that if you are trying to increase the quality of your videos, you need to think about sound, as well. Poor sound quality is harder to ignore than poor video quality. The 60D with an external mic is alright, but an external recorded like a Zoom H4n is much better. Most modern DSLRs, compacts, and small camcorders will shoot 1080p, but make sure whatever you buy will record 25 frames per second (matching India's PAL standard), and if you want slow-motion, look for 60fps and/or 50fps as well.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

This is not a particularly easy question to answer, given your needs and budget.

Most of the members on CiC are primarily people that shoot still photos, and while the tools can be the same, there are a number of considerations to take into account. I'm personally not a fan of shooting video with a still camera; the ergonomics of hand-holding a still camera and video camera are siginificantly different, and while there are add-on devices to make the job easier; they quickly add up in cost. I agree 100% with Lex; the sound capture capabilities of a still camera are terrible; but then, the same can be said for entry level dedicated video cameras.

The chief advantages of a dedicated video camera, even the entry level ones is that they are designed for video work, so their shape and the way they are held help is steady shooting. They also will have a power zoom lens; and with very few exceptions, these are not found on still cameras. Because of the relatively low resolution of a TV screen; the high MP sensors on still cameras are overkill. An average still DSLR or even mirrorless camera are running around 16MP; whereas a television or computer screen is running at a resolution of about 2MP.

I would probably not use a DSLR, if I were buying a still camera for video work; the mirror mechanism adds to cost that you don't really need. The mirrorless designs are far more suited for this work and the entire Panasonic micro four-thirds line has a very good reputation for video quality.

Low light shooting; generally video cameras don't do this particularly well as one gets a lot of amplifier noise whenever the gain is turned up. Use of lights is the best way to go.

Real Name
    Richard

I use a Panasonic HDC-TM900 for my video needs. I use this camera in support of my dog rescue efforts and don't expect to shoot "Gone With The Wind" type movies.

I like any camera that I use to have eye-level, through the lens viewing capability. There are times in which I just cannot see the image when using an LCD viewfinder. I use a Panasonic HDC-TM900 video camera which is no longer available new. The camera provides really excellent video but, IMO, the user manual is really third rate...

Although, I enjoy using a dedicated video camera however, there are times that I need to shoot both video and stills (as an example, when I am getting a veterinarian's office evaluation of one of my rescue dogs). In that case, I need both stills and video for our website and Facebook pages. We will often get more contributions for our rescue's vet care when contributors see and hear a vet describing the dog's condition and care required.

Note: I have not tried capturing still images with the HDC-TM900. It would probably be easier this way than to shoot both stills and videos with the DSLR. The Panasonic is so much smaller and lighter in weight...

In that case, it is easier to shoot both the video and stills with one camera. Shooting in a vet's office using the LCD as my viewfinder is no problem since I never have bright sun to my rear.

BTW:

When shooting with a DSLR, using a loupe like the Hoodman ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...CD_Screen.html ) or a Chinese knock-off will allow shooting at eye level outdoors in bright light.

When shooting with my Panasonic and using the LCD (in lieu of the eye-level finder) I have a shade that fits on with Velcro and somewhat helps shield the LCD.

I also dislike using touch focusing for any camera...

It also seems, through some very informal "real life" testing that the Panasonic produces better video and sound than does my 7D with a 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens. The Panasonic is equipped with a Leica lens...

There are many variations of the basic Panasonic model at various price points... I like the fact that I have a choice between eye-level and LCD viewing and also have a choice between using the built-in camera memory and a sd Card for memory.

I would have chosen a larger and more professional video camera but, my wife will also shoot this and she wanted the smaller camera...

For Run-and-gun shooting, I can use the camera set up like this. The LED light really helps with fill light

which video camera?

I can mount a remote microphone right next to the light along the top bar on one of the cold-shoe sites...

which video camera?

I use an Arca Compatible plate on the bottom of the rig allowing me to mount the rig on a tripod or monopod.

which video camera?

Although the camera smooths out jerky motion, this rig really smooths out camera movements and I can walk with the rig set up and get very smooth video.

While I don't show this on the images, I have the camera remote mounted on the upright bar so I can control zoom and on/off with my right hand and without moving the hand from the upright bar.

I was going to fabricate a rig like this but was able to purchase this prototype from the inventor at less than the materials would have cost. Wrapping the uprights with parachute cord really provide a better grip...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th April 2014 at 06:27 PM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Take care get a dedicated video camera, remember due to overheating issues DSLRS are limited to 20/30 minutes before the cut off, a video camera is designed to shoot continuously.

I shoot gigs, events, sports (see my site) and a lot more, I have seen people leave their compacts, dslrs on at the start of a wedding and thought it will record the whole thing IT WON'T.

I use 3MOS Panasonics, such as the HC-X920, owners of DSLRs check your manual and see how limited the time recording is, and no it does not simply video a "file" for 20/30 mins and start a new file as many think, it cuts off, start yours and watch the "countdown", this is fine if you are there to start it again and again or want shortish clips but one day you will want to leave it recording.

3MOS is much greater in quality than a standard camera, my hd-hsc300 cost over £1000 and is worth every penny. You will also need a decent external mic and deadcat.

Remember all these older cameras are available "pre owned" at exceedingly low prices now as people want DSLLRs
    Last edited by JR1; 11th April 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    DSLRS are limited to 20/30 minutes before the cut off
    Strangely enough; so far as I understand it, this is not the reason for the 30 minute video cut-off. It has everything to do with EU import duties. A dedicated video camera has a higher import duty than a still camera, so in order to still be able to import these cameras as still cameras, this highly artificial limit has been put in place for purely commercial reasons.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Strangely enough; so far as I understand it, this is not the reason for the 30 minute video cut-off. It has everything to do with EU import duties. A dedicated video camera has a higher import duty than a still camera, so in order to still be able to import these cameras as still cameras, this highly artificial limit has been put in place for purely commercial reasons.
    http://www.diyphotography.net/nikon-...ng-time-limit/

http://www.parkcameras.com/article/3...R-article.html

Yes you are right, however in the early days chips also overheated after a specific time, what annoys me is that, whilst I do shoot video cameras for decent video, this dumb eu law dictates to me what I can/can not do with my money

However as this says there used to be another reason

http://www.tested.com/tech/photograp...cording-limit/

One of the significant upgrades in Canon's $3500 5D Mark III DSLR was the extension of the video recording limit from 12 minutes to just under 30 minutes. In the 5D Mark II, 1080p video clips could not be longer than 12 minutes due to the 4GB size limit in the FAT32 file system. DSLRs of that era--the first to record high-definition video--also weren't optimized for video capture, so the processors would overheat after extended periods of recording.
    Last edited by JR1; 12th April 2014 at 09:03 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Yes you are right, however in the early days chips also overheated after a specific time, what annoys me is that, whilst I do shoot video cameras for decent video, this dumb eu law dictates to me what I can/can not do with my money

I can't say I ever noticed a sensor overheating issue; but I can confirm that the LCD screen on the back of the camera got quite hot.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Just added to my post above

Re File Allocation Table and the OS, this was before the EU regs, which in themselves are carp

Oh AVCHD is the best format I find for video anyway

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Jeremy - while there may be a 12 minute or 30 minute limit on recording, I rarely shoot anything that runs nearly that long. A single shot that runs for more than 10 or 15 seconds gets really, really boring and when I put a video together in the editing suite, most of the cuts that I use are probably in the 5 to 10 second range.

Take a look at any feature film or television production; short shots between changes of PoV, camera angle or camera position are generally quite short. In music videos these can even sometimes be measured in fractions of a second. Most traditional filming was done this way using a single camera. Even sporting events that have multiple cameras around the site will tend to do this.

So far as I can remember, I've probably had to exceed that limit once; and that was when I set up a camera to capture some fish eggs hatching.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Richard showed you a useful rig but in view of your budget I think the talk of quick release devices would put it out of your budget So relating to my early days with an 8mm movie camera and copying the concept of the pistol grip of my Rolleiflex MF camera of those days I found a short length of half inch pipe, flattened the end of it and drilled a quarter inch hole in the flat part which was then bent over.

I have been thinking of a duplicate for my current Panasonic GH camera which is apparently good for video though not nearly as easy to hold as my video camera[s] are/have been to hold and my thoughts go along the lines of the pipe but with a longer top flat bit so that the downwards handle is under the centre of the lens for better stability. As you see in my Avator the lens is quite big and so probably I would need to organise my supporting hand under the lens rather than gripping the camera body. I think the balance point is called the nodel point of the lens.

My other comment relates to power zooms which I find 'horrible' and jerky [ perhaps because I rarely use my video camera and much prefer a manual zoom as I have with my GH and its 14-140 zoom... my solution to this need again back in my 8mm days was to get a hose clip which matched the zoom ring of the lens and with the extension of a small lever, about two inches I think, it made for nice and smooth zooms without jeerky starts or ends. My lever was a length of solid brass and gave me a 'powered' zoom as its weight dragged the zoom ring down

You will find that the Panasonic FZ30 and FZ50 also have manual zoom rings though when I shot some video a few years ago I wasn't that happy with the results. Such cameras have a useful x12 zoom and f/2.8 and close at full zoom so are good for video if you have not the experience of MFT ... sadly out of your budget.

The trouble of not knowing India or whereabouts you live is the possibility of importing a secondhand camera otherwise a 2/h Pany G from the likes of KEH, Adorama, or B&H would get you a good MFT and lens within your budget.

After two years with MFT I wouldn't advise anybody to buy a small sensor camera unless they want the long lens of a bridge camera or cannot afford MFT, or import 2/h from a reliable source.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Jeremy - while there may be a 12 minute or 30 minute limit on recording, I rarely shoot anything that runs nearly that long. A single shot that runs for more than 10 or 15 seconds gets really, really boring and when I put a video together in the editing suite, most of the cuts that I use are probably in the 5 to 10 second range.

Take a look at any feature film or television production; short shots between changes of PoV, camera angle or camera position are generally quite short. In music videos these can even sometimes be measured in fractions of a second. Most traditional filming was done this way using a single camera. Even sporting events that have multiple cameras around the site will tend to do this.

So far as I can remember, I've probably had to exceed that limit once; and that was when I set up a camera to capture some fish eggs hatching.
    Sure but we are not all the same hence we don't all own the same camera, and I do leave my cameras running, hence gopro popularity for sports constant recording never turned off

Real Name
    J stands for John

Sure but we are not all the same hence we don't all own the same camera, and I do leave my cameras running, hence gopro popularity for sports constant recording never turned off
    An interesting reflection between the professional with their frenetic cutting style of today, to try and maintain interest so the viewer doesn't switch to one of the other hundred channels available to them .... and the amateur who is quite happy to watch a long continuous shot.

As an editor/cameraman who started life with a 22 second max spring wound camera I am sickened to the extent of simply not watching the current rubbish.... on the other hand I don't like and switched off our local channel which I assume for technical reasons tends to run shots long. Life is ever changing and that camera only held film for four minutes recording or 2'40" at 'professional' speed, while most/many video cameras operate at 'pro' speed and run for the length of the tape/disc .... all quite fascinating in a lifetime.

Another form of snobery demonstrated there from my background

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    An interesting reflection between the professional with their frenetic cutting style of today, to try and maintain interest so the viewer doesn't switch to one of the other hundred channels available to them .... and the amateur who is quite happy to watch a long continuous shot.
    An interesting and accurate assessment of the current editing "fashion".

Even as an amateur, I found that I had to switch styles to faster and more frequent cuts to keep audience attention. Hollywood and TV have developed a style that the viewers are comfortable with and one can either do the long boring shot and not keep audience interest or take a straight out of the cam sequence and run it for a very long time.

The one quote I remember from one of my video instructors was "photography is all about composition and film or video is all about the editing". Giving the editor enough material to work with was considered an important aspect during the shoot.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Giving the editor enough material to work with was considered an important aspect during the shoot.
    related to this I had an amusing experience a few years after I was made redundant and using a video camera for what ended up as a 30 minute coverage of a week long event. I met one of the cameramen who's work I had to edit and grumbled about and he in the meantime had become a cameraman/editor/producer.

As a result of using a sound camera seriously for the first time with purpose, even if only a Sony Hi-8, I had learnt a lot and was much more sympathetic to the cameramans' problems .... while he had learnt editing. So it was a series of " NO ... BUT" from each of us both more tolerant of each other's job.

Basically the difference between my early mute shooting and with sound was the need for long clean master shots which then had shorter material inserted along with their sound ...a definite situation of conflict which prohibited editing in the camera.
    My 'amateur' editing gear of the 1990's meant all I could do was record interviews and insert illustrative material ... very similar to my editing of ENG at work some years ealier [ Mentioned for Doreman's benefit if he wants more than the average 'home video']

Hey Folks, How's these option:

Sony A6000
    or
    Nikon D5200
    Last edited by Doremon; 14th April 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Doremon View Post
    Hey Folks, How's these option:

Sony A6000
    or
    Nikon D5200

Given the two, go with the Sony as it is mirrorless rather than a DSLR.

If you are considering the Sony, I would look at a Panasonic instead as these have developed a really good following in the video community as being the best choice for shooting video on a still camera. There are some that say that Panny mirrorless cameras are actually better video cameras than still cameras.

Just remember that both Sony and Panasonic are the market leaders in professional video cameras. Canon has a decent presence in the marketplace and Nikon has no presence at all.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th April 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast