Thread: Photoshop CC Brush Settings -Bamboo Pen

Real Name
    Christina

Photoshop CC Brush Settings -Bamboo Pen

For some reason when I use my Bamboo pen to erase an un-sharp mask the setting...

The pen is stuck at an opacity of 20%, (flow 100%) even though I have reset the brushes to the default.

When I use my mouse to erase the mask it works as it should - at my chosen setting which is 100% opacity and 100% flow.

I can't figure out how to restore the setting to 100% opacity on the Bamboo pen?

Thank you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Photoshop CC Brush Settings -Bamboo Pen

I use the GIMP rather than Photoshop for things like layers and masks. With it it's a case of just moving sliders, such as opacity with the pen or the mouse. Obviously Photoshop does things differently.

Sorry to be of no help whatsoever.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you. That is the way the pen usually works for me, in Elements 9, too. I am starting to think that perhaps my pen just died so I will check it out to see if it works for other things, and if not I will buy another pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I use the GIMP rather than Photoshop for things like layers and masks. With it it's a case of just moving sliders, such as opacity with the pen or the mouse. Obviously Photoshop does things differently.

Sorry to be of no help whatsoever.

Hi Christina;

I'm using a Bamboo pen and tablet for Photoshop CS6 on a MacBook; so I thought I'd go in and see what I could find.

Don't really use the eraser much; but I notice that there are toggle switches at the top of the window (below the main menu headings) that enable the pen's pressure sensitive function. They also state (when I hover over them) that the pen's default will be used if these toggle switches are not active.

What I do see is that the pen's "Hardness" functions independently of the "Opacity" but that only seems to affect the edges of the brush strokes.

I also notice that, when the eraser is chosen from the tool menu, it doesn't matter what end of the pen I use; so, I take it perhaps that you are using the eraser end of the pen while other than the eraser tool is chosen from the menu?

Okay I just tried that out and sure enough the eraser works independently of the brush tool BUT it works with whatever the setting is FOR the eraser tool, even when the brush tool is the one chosen. So if you are using the brush tool and flip the pen over to use the eraser on the pen you still have to edit the eraser settings from the eraser tool itself; and those settings will still be in place even when you switch to the brush tool and just flip the pen to use the eraser on the pen while the brush tool is selected.

Hope all is well with you;

Best Wishes,

John Barclay-Morton

Real Name
    Christina

Hi John,

Thank you so much for trying to help. I use Windows 7, a regular PC, and Firefox. I have the pen without the eraser and I use the brush tool to erase un-sharp masks - so I'm pretty sure I am using the right end of my pen but with me you never truly know.

I don't have much time today but tomorrow or Sunday I will try on more time to find a hardness setting for the pen. (no luck today)... When I erase with the brush using my mouse it works fine (black mask seen and 100% of the mask erased)... With the pen it is like a grey line and translucent (everything is not erased), and more like a pencil line than a brush.

The select tool and other tools work fine in Photoshop CC and Elements with the pen but not all the tools are working.. the spot healing brush doesn't work either. It's very odd. I also received some sort of message from Bamboo that the backend of the Bamboo tablet malfunctioned... I also recently purchased LR enfuse but in LR I receive a message that the program has malfunctioned, so I suspect that I am having some computer woes that I am unable to solve myself and that are way too to hard to solve on a forum (too hard for me to figure out). So I am going to have my computer checked out and my pen and the LR enfuse program. ie; I will be calling a techie in to the rescue!

I am very well (even though my pen and my computer are ailing.) I hope all is well with you.

Thank you for trying. Truly appreciated.

All my best to you

Christina

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    Hi Christina;

I'm using a Bamboo pen and tablet for Photoshop CS6 on a MacBook; so I thought I'd go in and see what I could find.

Don't really use the eraser much; but I notice that there are toggle switches at the top of the window (below the main menu headings) that enable the pen's pressure sensitive function. They also state (when I hover over them) that the pen's default will be used if these toggle switches are not active.

What I do see is that the pen's "Hardness" functions independently of the "Opacity" but that only seems to affect the edges of the brush strokes.

I also notice that, when the eraser is chosen from the tool menu, it doesn't matter what end of the pen I use; so, I take it perhaps that you are using the eraser end of the pen while other than the eraser tool is chosen from the menu?

Okay I just tried that out and sure enough the eraser works independently of the brush tool BUT it works with whatever the setting is FOR the eraser tool, even when the brush tool is the one chosen. So if you are using the brush tool and flip the pen over to use the eraser on the pen you still have to edit the eraser settings from the eraser tool itself; and those settings will still be in place even when you switch to the brush tool and just flip the pen to use the eraser on the pen while the brush tool is selected.

Hope all is well with you;

Best Wishes,

John Barclay-Morton

Real Name
    Christina

Just a note to say that I don't need any help with this as I am not good at figuring these kinds of things out so no point in trying to help me with this.

I'm calling in outside help. Thread closed.

Thank you in advance. Truly appreciated.

The Brush panel is used to define the brush attributes for the brush tip shape as well as things like how the opacity of the brush is applied when painting.Whenever we have the Brush Tool selected in Photoshop, the Options Bar along the top of the screen shows us various options that affect how the brush works. Two of these options are Opacity and Flow, and you’ll find them side by side each other.

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you Patrick. Truly appreciated.

I am familiar with the brush panel and basic settings. For some unknown reason my Bamboo Pen went all wonky and wouldn't work. I reinstalled it and changing the settings had no effect. After reinstalling I went in to the settings and changed the pen settings to pen pressure setting in Shape Dynamics, Smoothing, and transfer, and the opacity still refused to change. After a couple of days my pen started to work again.

Likely to forever remain a mystery. I've been having some challenges with my computer so likely something to do with that. Even the computer techie couldn't install LR Enfuse! So I'm seeking help from those folks, too.

Anyway I thought I should share what happened with my pen, just in case anyone else has the same experience. They can at least try what I did.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjohnson View Post
    The Brush panel is used to define the brush attributes for the brush tip shape as well as things like how the opacity of the brush is applied when painting.Whenever we have the Brush Tool selected in Photoshop, the Options Bar along the top of the screen shows us various options that affect how the brush works. Two of these options are Opacity and Flow, and you’ll find them side by side each other.