Thread: Learning portrait shots:

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Learning portrait shots:

I am still learning to shoot portraits using a single on camera flash.

My SB80 does not function in TTL on my D200. I am now looking for a good used SB900.

I shot this, bouncing flash from a wall and the ceiling.
    EXIF: 1/250sec, f5.6, ISO160, Nikkor 18-135mm lens at 80mm, Manual mode.

Any suggestion on improving on this shot will be much appreciated.

Learning portrait shots:

Real Name
    John

Re: Learning portrait shots:

You need more of a challenge, get some skin tones without makeup.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The shot seems to have worked for you. I find using bounce light off of walls and ceilings a bit tricky for portrature. I suspect that the right side might be a bit hot; but that could just be due to the plastic texture of the doll.

The shot is getting slightly into a more dramatic lighting, and it drops off quite quickly from right to left. I would be interested to see what would happen if you put a white bounce card just to the left of the doll (and out of the image) to see if that pushed a bit of light in from the left side.

The D80 can be optically slaved; so you can easily get it off camera. While it is not the most modern technology (I think it is about 12 years old); I understand that it is a very robust unit. So get it off camera and try using it off camera and try to trigger it with the pop-up flash (use a white card on it to keep the light off the subject, but still able to fire the SB-80).
    Last edited by Manfred M; 10th April 2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: oops - mixed up left and right.

Real Name
    John

If triggered as Manfred suggest you could use the cameras built in flash - assuming it has one - for fill light which will help even things up for you.

I'm assuming that the built in flash can be used purely manually at a fixed low power level. Ideally it should have a diffuser fitted - cleanex tissue etc.

If there are any exposure problems it may be possible to offset via compensation.

Usually the best thing to use bounce from is the ceiling more or less in line with the subject. Distance from the subject and the angle of the head alters the effect.

You could keep your eye open for a cheap hammer head with fill flash built in and variable power. Put that on a flash bracket and no red eye but do look at the power settings/iso to make sure you can use it. The top end ones are likely to be way too powerful. Those still tend to fetch high prices for what they are too. The flash can be isolated from the camera using an adapter that fits into the flash shoe with a sync socket on it. Similar remote slave triggers are available too. There is plenty of information on most earlier flash unit trigger voltages on the web. It's best to look for units that use switches rather than varied sized holes over the sensor to adjust power levels. That type will be electronic.

John
    -

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You need more of a challenge, get some skin tones without makeup.
    John, the big challenge is coming up at the end of this month. I am going to visit my grandson in Cape Town. He will be 8 months old by then, a really busy little one. That is one of the reasons I am doing so much “flash practice” at the moment.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The shot seems to have worked for you. I find using bounce light off of walls and ceilings a bit tricky for portrature. I suspect that the right side might be a bit hot; but that could just be due to the plastic texture of the doll.
    Hi Manfred,

Thank you. I think it is not too shabby for a flash not firing with TTL functions. The SB80 is outdated and I am now looking for an SB900, a different monster from the SB80.

I have to get it right using a single on camera flash. Shooting portraits of family and friends, it is not always practical using an off camera flash setup.

Bouncing flash from different surfaces might get a little tricky shooting portraits but it is a challenge. I suspect it will be a lot easier shooting TTL flash.

I have done some practicing using the SB80 off camera triggered by the in camera flash.

This image was done bouncing from two different “reflectors”, one to the left and one to the right. Almost no shadow, rendering the image very flat and getting close to high key. I had to be very careful not to “blow” any highlights.

Learning portrait shots:

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Usually the best thing to use bounce from is the ceiling more or less in line with the subject. Distance from the subject and the angle of the head alters the effect.

You could keep your eye open for a cheap hammer head with fill flash built in and variable power. Put that on a flash bracket and no red eye but do look at the power settings/iso to make sure you can use it. The top end ones are likely to be way too powerful. Those still tend to fetch high prices for what they are too. The flash can be isolated from the camera using an adapter that fits into the flash shoe with a sync socket on it. Similar remote slave triggers are available too. There is plenty of information on most earlier flash unit trigger voltages on the web. It's best to look for units that use switches rather than varied sized holes over the sensor to adjust power levels. That type will be electronic.

John
    -
    Hi John,

Bouncing flash from a ceiling, in line with the subject, leaves nasty shadows under the eyes and chin even when using the bounce card. I am trying to get the light as soft as possible with no dominant shadow.

I have no idea what a “hammer head” is. This is all Greek to me and I will rather go the way that is familiar to me.

My mind is pretty much made up that the SB900 is the ultimate investment I can make at the moment. The vast array of settings and functions will suit my purpose perfectly. A very important feature of the SB900 is the head that can turn 360 degrees, 180 left and 180 right. That is a must have, to me.
    Having an SB900 on camera and the SB80 off camera will start a new learning curve for me. I have to admit that I am getting a little hooked on using flash since I discovered how to use it. I am still far away from perfecting flash technique but I will get there (with the help of NvN http://neilvn.com/tangents/ )

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

AB -- you are sounding like me. I too had to learn how to do portraits because of my new and only (for now...) granddaughter whom I was to visit last February in Australia. I started buying some gears (and stuffs...) and when I came back, I ended up converting one room of our house into my studio...in anticipation that one day she will come for a visit to Nana and Papops...

So be careful...of that decision to buy some "upgrades" ... they multiply for one purpose or another.