Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: print size for gallery

Real Name
    wm c boyer

print size for gallery

A local nutcase gallery wants a couple of my prints for display with the potential for sale.

I will have them printed on metal for the reason that I would want only metal prints hanging in my LR when they don't sell. Nothing like confidence in one's product...

They left the print size decision completely at my discretion...I could go as high as 20x30 with nose-length viewing distance. What size would you'll suggest for gallery display?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: print size for gallery

Your preference for metal prints, are your photos printed on metallic paper or aluminum? Why the preference to metal prints? Is it easier to keep clean?

Go for the "nutcase" gallery! You'll never know until you try...

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

First of all, congratulations. It is always great to see one's pictures appreciated.
    Second, you might consider the dimensions of the gallery space, and decide to print according to that.
    But then, and perhaps first of all I would think how I want to see my pictures, if you like within those gallery rooms. What distance should the viewer have, what sort of impact would I like to make?

Lukas

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Would go with Aluminum...I have a couple of then I did for the kids. Durable/easy to hang.
    Gallery is more like one of those disasters filled with local artwork, 2-D/3-D/whatever, visualize stuffed but...it's in a very upper-end shopping mall.

Real Name
    Dan

Not nearly enough information to provide a meaningful opinion. What will the photos be? From how far will they be viewed? Do they contain a lot of fine detail that you want to show off?

I've done quite a few metal prints. IMO they are best for high contrast and/or bright colors and/or a lot of fine detail. The largest ones I've done to date are 16x20, 12x24, and 12x36. My experience has been that people seem to have a tendency to want to get close to metal prints for some reason. Maybe because they are still relatively new to folks.

If you are talking about float mounted metal prints, I would disagree with your statement that they are durable. As a matter of fact that is one of the downsides. If they are going to be handled much at all, they are subject to getting chipped around the edges. I haven't done any framed ones but may start to do so for the above reason.

Real Name
    Bobo

Cannot offer any expertise in the gallery stuff. No one ever asked! hehe

Metal prints - awesome. As one who seldom prints there are times that only a metal print will do. I find blues and whites come out really nice. Anytime a print is needed I will always consider aluminum first. The main reason is that it is always a gift so is nice to give the friend the best there is.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

If you are talking about float mounted metal prints, I would disagree with your statement that they are durable
    Not sure why you say that...I've gotten several for my kids that hang in their rooms, being careful with their stuff isn't something that concerns them. No problems to date.

Bobo...I'm gonna open my living room as a personal gallery, you're more than welcome to hang your stuff.

Real Name
    Bobo

I will keep that in mind.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    it is always a gift so is nice to give the friend the best there is.
    All along I thought we were friends, yet you've never given me one of your prints.

Real Name
    Ian

I normally work on 16 x 20 for galleries that the public are likely to be, as you put it, 'at nose length', but if there is the space go bigger.

Folk are often impressed by the larger stuff, so long as it is not so big they walk past and don't 'see' it.

Wouldn't go larger than 20 x 30. (and what will suit your LR, if thats where it ends up?)

Congrats by the way for getting recognised! (We need a clapping/congrats smilie)

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Not sure why you say that...I've gotten several for my kids that hang in their rooms, being careful with their stuff isn't something that concerns them...
    Just speaking from my own experience.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

I haven't clue about printing for display in a gallery, but Congratulations for the recognition!
    print size for gallery