Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: lenses

Real Name
    Annie

lenses

Hi, my name is Annie, and I would like to know if one can use a lens from an older analog camera on a digital camera. My niece has an old Canon with several lenses, and needs to know if she needs new ones.
    Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Re: lenses

It depends what older Canon, and also what camera she gets.

Mirror-free cameras mostly can use any old lens, with adapters, so it is definitely possible to use them.

If the old camera is a Canon EOS, the lenses will fit newer EOS cameras, although with most models, their angle will be more narrow, as sensors nowadays are mostly smaller than the film format.

Adapting on a mirror-free camera is mostly for geeks, so if she's not one, it might be better to invest in new lenses. Cameras mostly come with a kit lens that covers much of what we are used to capture with a camera. Many won't ever need more.

Real Name
    John

As Urban said, find out what kit lenses are offered with the camera. She may not need the older ones. If possible, download the manual for the camera of choice and see which lenses are compatible.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    Hi, my name is Annie, and I would like to know if one can use a lens from an older analog camera on a digital camera. My niece has an old Canon with several lenses, and needs to know if she needs new ones.
    Thanks!
    You can... but it can be a pain, and sometimes you can't.

With Canon, if the lens's name starts with "EF" (it'll be printed on the front of the lens), then no sweat. They'll work fine on Canon's digital SLRs (but probably not anybody else's). If it's a 3rd-party lens for the Canon EOS mount (EF) from, say, Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina, the lens will mount, but whether the electronic communication will work (for, say, autofocusing) can be an issue, depending on how old the lens is and whether it was rechipped for newer versions of the mount.

If, however, the lens name starts with "FD", "FL", or is a thread-mount (simple screw mount) rangefinder lens, then you can only easily adapt to a mirrorless camera (Sony NEX, Fuji X, or micro four-thirds from Olympus and Panasonic).

If we're talking about the latter group of lenses, btw, there are huge drawbacks: no autofocus, you have to use stop-down metering, there's no aperture control from the body (you have to shoot in M or Av mode), and EXIF fields for the lens will be empty (OTOH, aside from the stop-down metering, they'd work this way on film cameras, too). And on mirrorless the FD/FL lenses may seem big and heavy in proportion to the camera.

I do agree that these days, chances are that getting a modern native lens that goes with the digital camera is the path of least resistance. And since most folks who want to save pennies on lenses aren't actually going to be starting with the insanely good professional grade glass, chances are they're not really saving a whole lot adapting lenses in the first place. A 28-something film kit lens kinda sucks on a modern dSLR, because of the crop factor on the sensor, and because the optics just won't be as nice as the 18-55 that comes with the camara. And the 18-55 typically only adds about $100 to the cost of the camera, if that.

Real Name
    Richard

I cannot add anything to Kathy's post above except to say that she has hit the nail on the head...

Real Name
    Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyezi View Post
    It depends what older Canon, and also what camera she gets.

Mirror-free cameras mostly can use any old lens, with adapters, so it is definitely possible to use them.

If the old camera is a Canon EOS, the lenses will fit newer EOS cameras, although with most models, their angle will be more narrow, as sensors nowadays are mostly smaller than the film format.

Adapting on a mirror-free camera is mostly for geeks, so if she's not one, it might be better to invest in new lenses. Cameras mostly come with a kit lens that covers much of what we are used to capture with a camera. Many won't ever need more.

Real Name
    Annie

Thanks a lot!
    APH