Thread: Framing with no glass

Framing with no glass

Does anyone frame prints without using a glass or acrylic cover, particularly with matte or textured fine art paper? I know the surface is delicate, but once it's on the wall the risk of damage is much reduced, and it is nice to see the beautiful finish of these papers without reflections. I guess in the end there would be deposits from the air that would mar the finish, but how long does it take?
    Does anyone have experience to share?

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Framing with no glass

Aah...why not use museum glass? Mine has no glare.

I still find it a barrier between the eye and the image surface. I've used museum/non-reflective glass on batiks and watercolours and it's better than ordinary glass or acrylic, but I'd still rather have nothing.

Real Name
    Dave

Does anyone frame prints without using a glass or acrylic cover
    Hi Paul,

The short answer is "yes", but with some qualifications:

- I haven't had any hanging long enough to answer your question about deterioration, but it must be very dependent on the environment. Since they are only for my own enjoyment, I am not too concerned (see below). I use lustre finishes, and I agree that they do seem richer without the barrier

- I mount and frame using the materials and techniques (if not the skills!) applicable to the Fine Art Trade Guild level of "Commended Framer" http://www.fineart.co.uk/stqs/Guild_...ed_Framer.aspx I see from your website that you are in Cambridge England and not Cambridge Mass, so you might well have come across their logo.

- That means that the process is reversible (I actually cheat by fixing the mount using "flexitabs" which isn't really allowed), without damage to either mount or frame. It also means the materials used will not damage the photo.

- I take the view that whether I am home printing or using a printing service, in this digital age the cost of reprinting an exact copy is relatively low. So if one does deteriorate, I can replace it.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Thanks, Dave, your comments about "it's easy to replace if it goes wrong" follow my thought processes exactly. And thanks for the link - I hadn't seen it before. I shall explore that site. I am thinking about two options:
    (1) use a normal (Nielsen aluminium) frame and matte, but just omit the glass;
    (2) print to the full frame size, with a border, but use no matte.
    The latter approach allows the use of decorative borders (or a white vignette fading to paper base), title, signature etc, but even with 310gsm paper I may have problems keeping the sheet flat.

I'd be glad to hear of anyone else's experience.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Paul, this is another link that you may find useful:

http://www.diyframing.com/page.cfm/content/Support-home

These are the people I buy material from (I also went on their weekend course), and there is loads of helpful stuff here, especially if you register.

Dave

Thanks, Dave - I have seen that site, but it's useful to have a recommendation.