Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Let's get undressed and watch the boys...

Let's get undressed and watch the boys...

Would you believe me if I told you I didn't see the significance of this at the time of shooting this afternoon? I think the metal pavement posts are also very Freudian...

Shot with a Tokina 11-16mm ultra-wide lens on my Canon 50D (it won't work on a full-frame camera).

Let's get undressed and watch the boys...

Real Name
    Ali

Re: Let's get undressed and watch the boys...

Very interesting shot, Rob.

It doesn't have the high contrast we usually see in your pictures though.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    ~ I think the metal pavement posts are also very Freudian...
    Bollards

aren't they?

Hope I don't get told off by Colin, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on - rather like the dummies in the top window

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Very interesting shot, Rob.

It doesn't have the high contrast we usually see in your pictures though.
    What! Three ordinary blokes in the street, and two legless plastic mannikins half-clothed. I call that contrast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Bollards

aren't they?

Hope I don't get told off by Colin, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on - rather like the dummies in the top window
    What a wicked sense of humour you have, Dave.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That's a 'Yes' Rob.

By the way, what do you think of the Tokina UWA? I've had mine for a couple of months now and love it. Think it does an excellent job.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

WTF! Such misleading title!

Well I am still low on the learning curve and I have always loved black & whites. I know, not all pics deserve to be converted into B&Ws. You mind telling ME (may not be a big deal for others here, as they are way too good already) the post processing you did?
    Thanks.

PS:- l love the shot.

PPS:- I am drunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    By the way, what do you think of the Tokina UWA? I've had mine for a couple of months now and love it. Think it does an excellent job.

Donald

The Tokina is great. but I was a bit uncertain at first. I thought it wasn't going to be as good as my old Sigma 10-20 which I traded in. But once you get used to it it's really cool. The focus response time is very rapid, and the build quality is very good (ought to be at £500!). It's scary how close you end up getting to your subject and can still get it all in. Only slight niggle is the minimum focus distance is not quite as low as the Sigma, but it's pretty good. Details here - can recommend it, but it doesn't work on full-frame cameras (a pity as I love to see what it does on my 5D Mk1).

Tokina 11-16 at Warehouse Express

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Well I am still low on the learning curve and I have always loved black & whites. I know, not all pics deserve to be converted into B&Ws. You mind telling ME (may not be a big deal for others here, as they are way too good already) the post processing you did?
    Thanks.
    Sahil

I used CS4 to edit the RAW file and I left it in colour to send it to CS4 Photoshop. I then used OptikVerve plugin filters and selected the 'Anvil' black and white filter. These are great plugins and they are free to download. I also edited the 'Soft Stones' shot using the same filter set - here On the seashore

OptikVerve is here... http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ and I really don't know why they are free, because they are excellent. They take some getting used to as you need to carefully adjust the contrast and exposure sliders once you have selected a particular filter. But they are worth the effort.

Hope that helps. And very sorry about the title.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks Rob.
    Will try my hands on those filters.

And how about living upto the title