Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference between full frame and half frame

Real Name
    John

Re: Difference between full frame and half frame

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Manfred,

The high resolution demands spot on focus in every shot taken. A camera more suited for tripod photography, using the best of glass only.
    I would like to address this point that Manfred did not. You are not making an apples to apples comparison. It is true that accurate focus is needed to take full advantage of the sensor on the D800. But if one takes the identical picture with a D700 and a D800, with the same glass and exactly the same focus then prints the photos at the same size, the picture produced by the D800 will be a least as sharp (probably sharper) than the one produced by the D700. Having more pixels doesn't make for a worse picture.

John

Real Name
    Dan

There seems to be a consistent theme on internet forums that the people who point out all of the negative aspects of the D800 have never actually shot one. I think I'll turn over a new leaf and start speaking about all of the pluses and minuses of all of the Canon gear that I've never even handled. After all I can read reviews and others' opinions and then wax philosophical as well as the next guy

I single out Canon because at one time or another I've owned most of the Nikon bodies therefore can't speak in purely theoretical terms about any of them. And speaking from a base of hands on experience would defeat the purpose

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanJohn View Post
    Having more pixels doesn't make for a worse picture.

John
    Why do you think the higher the resolution rendered by the camera, the worse the image will be?

If you wish to test a lens and see how good it is, fit it to a D800 body. If you want to see how good the photographer’s technique is, give him/her a D800.

The better the camera sensor is to resolve resolution the less forgiving it is for making any mistake.
    A D800 with a Sigma lens on it will not produce as good an image as a D4 (16MP camera) with a Nikkor lens on it.

Real Name
    Dan

...A D800 with a Sigma lens on it will not produce as good an image as a D4 (16MP camera) with a Nikkor lens on it.
    A generic statement like this is meaningless and has no basis in fact/reality. Are you saying that any Sigma lens is inferior to any Nikkor lens? What the heck do you mean and what is it based on?

Real Name
    John

Why do you think the higher the resolution rendered by the camera, the worse the image will be?
    Re-read the my statement you quoted. I am saying the opposite. You are the one that implied that the higher resolution camera would provide lower sharpness.

A D800 with a Sigma lens on it will not produce as good an image as a D4 (16MP camera) with a Nikkor lens on it.
    As Dan stated, this statement is only correct for some Sigma/Nikon comparisons and incorrect for others.

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12