Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rockstars!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Rockstars!

Hi all,

It's Sunday afternoon - and what better thing to be doing to get a bit of a break from photography than to "line the kids up outside" and "shoot them"

Thought I'd add a couple more (unprocessed) shots to give those interested a glimpse of the lighting setup:

On the two verticals I had just the diffuser held over the subject (to camera left), and on the horizontal I had the diffuser to camera left, and the shoot-through umbrella to camera right. I'd planned to use the shoot through umbrella for all shots, but bozo-brain ("me") didn't turn on the TT1 did I! (the flashes trigger directly from the lightmeter, so I had no idea that they weren't firing during the first part of the shoot). Not a biggie - they were only set to contribute 30% of the light anyway, so easily corrected in post.

Enough talking ...

Rockstars! Rockstars!

Rockstars!

Rockstars!

Rockstars!

PS: Sorry about the messy back yard - it's not normally like that - Honest!

PPS: Yes - I know about the reflections in the glasses, but decided to leave them there (just me and more messy back yard!)
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 21st February 2010 at 09:58 AM.

Real Name
    Kori

re: Rockstars!

Nice pictures!!!
    I'm soooo jealous that they have shorts on..... we are in the dead of winter here. More snow expected in two days! Augh.... I need warmth! ha ha!

Real Name

re: Rockstars!

Thanks Kori - swap ya - too hot here!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Rockstars!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Sorry about the messy back yard - it's not normally like that - Honest!
    It was good of you to give the kids a break from tidying the backyard in the hot weather

You won't be seeing my backyard here, waaaaay too untidy, although I did spend a couple of hours shooting 'frost shots' there yesterday morning (-4 celsius overnight), I was hoping to repeat this morning (as forecast said Friday), but it is pouring with rain

By the way, a very helpful thread and (as usual) nice pictures - thanks.

Oooh, I nearly forgot to ask; who is 'the shy one' hiding behind the brolly?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

I look out my window and I'm snowed and iced in, at least I can look in here at happy faces lazing around in the sun. Captured the fun exactly right. cheers

Colin it is really good to see the production shots. I really like the idea of that circular diffuser and the way you are using it. When I first viewed these I did not use the light box and was really throw by the close cropping in the second and third images. My eyes kept wandering to the top of the frame. Now, having viewed them in the light box I can see why this works. Your framing skills are always spot on. Me of little faith!

Steve

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    By the way, a very helpful thread and (as usual) nice pictures - thanks.
    No worries

Oooh, I nearly forgot to ask; who is 'the shy one' hiding behind the brolly?
    SWMBO!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Colin it is really good to see the production shots. I really like the idea of that circular diffuser and the way you are using it. When I first viewed these I did not use the light box and was really throw by the close cropping in the second and third images. My eyes kept wandering to the top of the frame. Now, having viewed them in the light box I can see why this works. Your framing skills are always spot on. Me of little faith!

Steve
    Hi Steve,

The old "crop the top of the head off" does take a bit of getting used to when you're doing it - but (a) it does give images more impact and (b) you'll see it done in magazines EVERYWHERE, so I guess we've just got used to it. Personally I hate doing it, but like the result when I do, if anyone can reconcile that!

The diffuser is essential for shots like this to avoid the dappled light coming through the vegitation.