Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I Can Not Think of a Title - Suggestions?

I Can Not Think of a Title - Suggestions?

This is a half baked concept at the moment and I need to get another session in with revised lighting setup. Nonetheless I will value your first reactions

Steve

Real Name
    Steve

Re: I Can Not Think of a Title - Suggestions?

Bubbles. Your ideas are verging on frightening or genius which is probably the same thing . cheers for this Steve

Real Name
    Wendy

Teenage Angst
    Silent Scream
    Can Anyone see me?
    Will the sun ever come out?

Claustraphobia

"Bubble trouble" (freaky shot BTW)

Real Name
    John

the Teenage Angst Angst angle works. I was thinking of a one or two word title like "Fenced In" or "Lost Child"
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Teenage Angst
    Silent Scream
    Can Anyone see me?
    Will the sun ever come out?

Claustraphobia

Real Name
    Wendy

Or just LOST

No Exit
    Trapped

Shipping related but could have double meaning:
    Destination Unknown
    Return to Sender

This end up
    handle with care
    Fragile

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Given the day job (check out my profile), this is hugely powerful image that evokes all sorts of feelings that, probably, might not occur to others.

Which is why I've spent the day trying to think of appropriate words for a title that properly conveys what it makes me feel. Wendy started getting there with her first three suggestions. My thoughts were along the lines of:
    1. My Protection
    2. To Stop the Bruises
    3. Protection from the Hurt

Such question appears when photographer doesn't know what he wants.The experimentation as experimentation is known experimentation because the photographer wasn't sure which the arriving point is.One of the conditions to give a title is to know the arriving point before.So from my poit of view you must give numbers to these kind of shots.
    Excuse me
    Radu Dinu

Radu

I carried the image in my head for nearly a week. I knew exactly what I wanted. I was interested to see what the image may provoke in other peoples minds to see if I was saying what I wanted it to say. I must say the responses are very similar to my own thoughts. Wendy was the closest with"Can anyone see me" For Donald there was a much stronger association that I have no first hand experience of but I can see exactly why he sees what he sees and the isolation theme runs through the interpretation. It is not a happy image and my original thoughts were to get across the inevitable isolation of the teenage mind.

I did a reshoot today but I balanced this session with some more lighthearted snaps. See 'Portraits?' in this thread I will post as soon as possible. I am not sure if this version is as effective but I got the hang of the lighting. The thing that balanced the melancholy was that my wife acted as chief reflector and my 8 year old son acted as lighting rigger. Hence the silly session later.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I think this version is much better. I like the darker tones, and the lighting is much better. Great shot, and very inventive.

Real Name
    Wendy

I am not sure if this version is as effective but I got the hang of the lighting.
    I don't know Steve, I am kind of partial to the first one, and I think the reason is the lighting. The dark shadow on the right and the model looking into the dark had a lot of impact on me.

I'm wondering though if playing with DOF on the bubble wrap somehow or other would help to direct one right into the melancholy aspect of the shot.

My first reaction was - bubble wrap! what is he up to now? Then when I looked closer, the emotion kicked in. It's crazy for me to be advising you, but I'm just wondering if there is some way to keep the same effect but tone down the bubble part a little.

I really don't know, just thinking out loud. It works as is for sure, but it took me a minute to get past the bubbles.

I love the concept and wonder if it would work if you shot the portrait and the "overlay" of bubbles in 2 shots and used layers to look at different effects? I keep trying to "fix" onto something - an eye or something else pin point sharp.
    Great conceptual work!
    How about -
    Give Me Shelter
    Drifting
    In Dreams
    Penny For Your .......

Good luck, great thoughtfulness - Keep up the good work

Rob

Brilliant idea. I still work on my technicals but after reading all the posts I will give my humble try.
    My first feeling when I looked at the 2nd picture was fear. It looked a bit scary first. But I kept staring....and.... There is no fear. Her eyes are closed, she's calm. So I will go for:

Introversion

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The second one is, for me, telling a completely different story.

Why?

The eyes.

And, incidentally, as we can see from Portraits?, a very lovely young lady. Must inherit it from her mother!

a very lovely young lady. Must inherit it from her mother!
    Indeed she does! She reached a regional final in a modeling comp but, of her own bat, has decided to decline the final in preference for her studies. She is determined to go for 'A' level in performing arts and production, English Lit and (of all things) Photography!
    My first reaction was - bubble wrap! what is he up to now? Then when I looked closer, the emotion kicked in. It's crazy for me to be advising you, but I'm just wondering if there is some way to keep the same effect but tone down the bubble part a little.
    Wendy, I agree, and I need all the advice I can get. The test of the image is in the eye of the beholder. I really struggled with the bubbles because the lighting source was necessarily between the subject and the wrap. I may try a different medium such as muslin or polythene sheet.

When one(me) take the decision of using a mask, the face is transforming into a symbol of something
    I would be very interested to study your work and technique. I am here to learn and would find some examples of how it should be done properly invaluable. I use masks every time I open GIMP, why would I think using a physical mask is new? The fact that you assume I am ignorant of such a simple deduction is quite entertaining. What techniques are new? We just apply them to suit our own expression. Sorry I am failing to see your point. The fact that you do not like the image is a valuable contribution in itself. I am not here to sell the image, merely ask for opinion.

This has been a useful exercise for me and I thank all of you for you contributions

Steve

Don't be upset!It is a digital image only!That means it is not a "real" one as those on film.On the other side You ask suggestions and suggestions don't mean compliments.So being concerned about You I erased What I said.
    Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 21st February 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

The bubbles are a great idea I think because they are 3D. I think you have your work cut out but I would before deciding it is too hard for me, try to diminish there prominence slightly and maybe not uniformly. It could be possible to get clearer bubble wrap or take two photo's and merge.

The photo's are great as usual. cheers

Don't be upset!It is a digital image only!That means it is not a "real" one as those on film.On the other side You ask suggestions and suggestions don't mean compliments.So being concerned about You I erased What I said.
    The fact that you do not like the image is a valuable contribution in itself. I am not here to sell the image, merely ask for opinion.
    What on earth are you concerned about? I am not going to walk under a bus over a few negative comments, photography is my hobby not my life work. I am genuinely interested in your use of masks to the effect implied by your 'deleted' post. Like I said before I am here to learn.

The bubbles are a great idea I think because they are 3D. I think you have your work cut out but I would before deciding it is too hard for me, try to diminish there prominence slightly and maybe not uniformly. It could be possible to get clearer bubble wrap or take two photo's and merge.
    I think you are spot on Steve. Some graduation of the detail would certainly improve things no end. I am not sure how this might be done I will have a think.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    ~ Some graduation of the detail would certainly improve things no end. I am not sure how this might be done I will have a think.
    My suggestion to this effect is to try to keep the light off the bubble wrap, shoot some tests and see what it looks like. Although there's bound to be some light on it; e.g. that reflected off your daughter's face. Then, it may transpire that you will want to explore letting some of it be lit.

I bet all that is far easier said than done though

Cheers,