Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Critique

Real Name
    Brian Phillips

Picture Critique

I'm a little insecure about my own photography. Maybe it's because I see them everyday, and they've grown old to me, and I'm the only one who sees them. Can you give me a little C&C on them? I'm open to criticism.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BriPhi; 16th February 2010 at 04:09 AM.

Real Name
    Brian Phillips

Re: Portrait Critique

Here are some of my Landscape and Nature shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BriPhi; 16th February 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Re: Portrait Critique

Quote Originally Posted by BriPhi View Post
    Here are some of my Landscape and Nature shots.
    Hi,
    I like 3,4 and 5.In 1 the black from foreground is breaking all.
    All the best
    Radu Dinu

Re: Picture Critique

I'm a little insecure about my own photography. Maybe it's because I see them everyday, and they've grown old to me, and I'm the only one who sees them. Can you give me a little C&C on them? I'm open to criticism.
    Hi,
    Four pretty girls!Despite that reality should I have to see anything else?If You say no all will be OK.It could be a problem if You will say yes! For You not for me....
    Regards.
    Radu Dinu
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 16th February 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Can you give me a little C&C on them? I'm open to criticism.
    Portrait shots...

#1 Nice light, and a very attractive model.
    #2 Nice composition (I like portraits where the model is not looking directly at the camera) But a bit too much shirt filling the frame.
    #3. Too much negative space for me, and I find the chair back too intrusive.
    #4 Good light from the left, but it needs a little side-light on the right to lift her hair detail. Nice model, with very good skin.
    #5 Good colour and lighting, but I think the tight crop of her head makes it look slightly cramped. Either pull back a bit, or go in closer and crop the head.

Overall, the shots are pretty good, and you should be pleased with them.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    ... Overall, the shots are pretty good, and you should be pleased with them.
    I agree with Rob

Hi BriPhi

Yes 4 very pretty girls. I can see you like Rembrandt lighting.
    No. 1 is nice but can't help wondering about the pose - 3/4 profile? dip the chin just a fraction? just a little more halo on the background?
    The young man has a narrow face - how does he look with broad lighting?
    No 3 - looks as if she has a briefcase under her arm, didn't think of a chair back. Not keen on the pose but can understand why you chose it for that lovely girl.
    Nicely lit hair in number 4, but the bright white teeth keep distracting me, perhaps if that left light was placed just a smidgin further back so that it doesn't catch the face. Would it help to elevate the front light just a wee bit to bring more light to the forehead. But I do love backlit hair.
    No. 5 is my favourite, which I think could be improved by removing the dark tail of the scarf from her right.

Well chosen backgrounds. Do you have a number of drops or do you use filters?

A good set of pics.

Nihia

Real Name
    Brian Phillips

Thanks for the C&C. I graduated from Photography School last spring, and haven't had much chance to practice my craft since then.
    I appreciate the critiques. I don't show my work enough, and rarely get a chance to hear what others think about my work. But it's the only way I can grow as a Photographer.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I don't show my work enough, and rarely get a chance to hear what others think about my work. But it's the only way I can grow as a Photographer.
    Brian

You're absolutely right about the route to growth. And I think this is the place that will help. You will find honest, constructive criticism that, if you want to take on board and learn from, will provide many learning opportuntiies. Posting up the first few and wondering if people will laugh at your work or think you're crazy to imagine you can ever take decent images, is an emotion all of us have (and do) experience. It's good to have others comment, as our objectivity can be open to question.

Where I also found great support that helped clarify my thinking when I was unclear about my photography and what I was trying to achieve, was in a series of 4 papers by Alain Briot here . Start at April 2009 and then read the May, June and July papers to complete the set.

Some of the models are rather distracting, however getting past that they do leave me feeling a little flat. it is interesting that you say you have been to photography school because they have obviously taught you the tech stuff (something I sadly lack). The poses and the lighting are very text book and I think your next area of 'growth' will be to develop a style. This kind of portrait can be seen everywhere and you will certainly earn some dosh taking exactly this kind of image. It is what most 'people' expect from a portrait. I suggest you really rip up the book for a while and experiment with lighting and wacky cutting edge poses. Do not let the model look directly into the lens and try to get movement and attitude into the composition. Movement in clothing and hair can really make you look twice at an image if it is done half well. And remember 'perfect' people are the least interesting to look at so try all shapes sizes , warts and all. Photographing the normal folk well stretches a photographers skill and it shows in heaps.

These are the thoughts of a viewer rather than a doer since portraiture is not my strong point. I am far too afraid that I will end up taking the type of images that adorn our local portraiture studio wall

You will not go too far wrong by studying Antonio's work on this forum.

Steve

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    ... You will not go too far wrong by studying Antonio's work on this forum. Steve
    How dare you Steve ? Me ? An example ?? Let me laught ! ...

Real Name
    António Correia

... And remember 'perfect' people are the least interesting to look at so try all shapes sizes , warts and all. Photographing the normal folk well stretches a photographers skill and it shows in heaps. These are the thoughts of a viewer rather than a doer since portraiture is not my strong point. I am far too afraid that I will end up taking the type of images that adorn our local portraiture studio wall You will not go too far wrong by studying Antonio's work on this forum. Steve
    Seriously now.
    OK. First, writing what I am going to now is not to patronize anyone and it is in a humble position. Let's begin then and remember I have studied English only for 3 years. Here I go:

I would never - no - I would post many portraits at the same time unless I was young
    To post many pics at the same time is distracting and people doesn't concentrate on one image and doesn't make decent, dedicated, good and constructive critique on one image.
    Look what happened here about the eyes of the girl.

I am not depreciating the comments herewith. No, they could be better if it was only one image.

So, one picture at the time. And... one image by day to let people comment.

Steves talks about - if I have understood correctly - the subject of the picture, what is represented in a picture, in it, the core of the image, what it is intrinsically . So, in fact to shoot "normal" people is not very appealing but people out of the "normal" is fantastic and destined to success.

My portraits are an example of this. Either SCPs or nSCPs because in fact they are just the same, right ?
    But to find these people you have to travel - have you ? - and try to photograph "different" people.
    On the other hand, most photographers can't afford a living based on portraits of people out of the common for example.
    One has to do what he is asked and has to adapt to reality and shoot just for the money.
    One has to eat. I sometimes say as a joke that it is like a prostitute.
    So there are two sides: the practical and the pleasure one.

In my life as Architect - some 30 years - I have been obliged by the political person in charge to change a design quite some times. I couldn't say no and that was a limit to my creativity as young Architect at the time. Until I got used to and then everything was OK. At the end there was not much creativity as it had been cut, frustrated for many years and it was worn out, eroded by the time.
    But in photography I do what my guts tell me to. Whatever I want. The hell with limitations. I had enough.

If you get a name in the artistic world you can do anything because the critique is there to support you and say fantastic, great work. Even if it is not.

But now I am in a process of getting a better style of photography. A different trend, a new way.
    I have subscribed Silvershotz where I see many interesting works which go in different directions using different techniques and procedures.
    This is why I want to learn more CS4. To manipulate the images, to express myself a different way, not the trivial one I have been doing so far.

Are you still there ? Congratulations

There are of course in the World, what I think are the exceptions: guys who have money and can do what they want and how they want.
    Names ? Just two I admire: Sebastião Salgado a Brazilian, and a Canadian Edward Burtynsky.

Enough said. Your turn now please

So, in fact to shoot "normal" people is not very appealing but people out of the "normal" is fantastic and destined to success
    Sort of. What I meant was that 'pretty' people only provoke a passing interest in me. People who are interesting and whose faces carry a reflection of life interest me. Success is relative since you usually become financially successful by shooting 'pretty' people in a very mundane way.'

But to find these people you have to travel - have you ? - and try to photograph "different" people.
    On the other hand, most photographers can't afford a living based on portraits of people out of the common for example.
    I disagree, interesting people are everywhere in every situation. I do agree that professional photographers (outside of Time Life, Nat Geographical etc.) will struggle to make a living by devoting their shooting time to real life and wacky shots. However what I was trying to get across is that it is worth investing some time in edgy photography since the techniques and experiences will enrich your 'day job' shots and make them slightly different and more salable.

One has to do what he is asked and has to adapt to reality and shoot just for the money.
    One has to eat. I sometimes say as a joke that it is like a prostitute.
    So there are two sides: the practical and the pleasure one.
    That is why I will never ever be a pro photographer...and it does not pay enough.

I really appreciate the links. The one with the list of links to various photographers is very interesting and one thing did occur. Whilst the male photographers mainly win in a technical sense the females win hands down in creativity. Perhaps that is something to do with women being more able to show emotion more readily. The men seem to hide behind the technically excellent and the abstract. You can hide behind an abstract and feed the ego with technical excellence. The women seem more concerned with putting their feelings across. Which is far more interesting. This is a generalisation though and I believe any man can teach themselves to lower the wraparound shades and leave the Audi at home

Steve

Antonio;your English is excellent and please do not apologise for your second language. Most of us Brits struglle with our first and only language
    Last edited by Wirefox; 17th February 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

... However what I was trying to get across is that it is worth investing some time in edgy photography since the techniques and experiences will enrich your 'day job' shots and make them slightly different and more salable... Antonio;your English is excellent and please do not apologise for your second language. Most of us Brits struglle with our first and only language
    Steve, I received today silvershotz. Very good issue. Look at this here, Marian Drew work from Australia.

Is this what you mean by edgy photography ? Marian Drew is quite an example isn't she ?

I write well in English ? Ok. Thank you Steve

Oh Steve, we are hijacking the thread...
    Cheers...

And our young man Brian what does he has to say ?

Real Name
    Steve

I do not think photo's of dead animals [ Marian Drew] is either attractive or original. I would prefer to view portraits from people like Geoff Hiller http://hillerphoto.com/ and the normal advertising stuff turns me off. Showing emotion has got to be difficult and wouldn't really sell unless it was so good it was in an art gallery.

All the portraits above look posed; the light not dramatic and I don't get the feeling of knowing the people in the photograph, I can't identify with them. I like one of the nature shots of white flowers, this is beautiful. cheers

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    ... Geoff Hiller http://hillerphoto.com/ ...
    I already knew this guy but I could only remember him when I saw the "Burma:Grace under pressure" before I went to Burma a couple of years ago.

About his text "Canto do Brazil" I smile when I read and I quote:
    "...Returning to Brazil after 25 years I was captivated once again by the charm and beauty of the country. No doubt the Brazilians are photogenic subjects, but it goes deeper than the image. Compared to the paranoia of people I've wanted to photograph on American streets, Brazil is absolutely refreshing.
    Another way of being exists in Latin America, and Brazil's own national psyche is distinctive. It's a country of street poets, where taxi drivers and housewives wax philosophical about the meaning of life. It can be a brutal place, but beautiful too.
    The image so often found in these photographs, of faces so wide open, is that of tolerance. Despite the incredible diversity in Brazil, acceptance is part of the language, both the one spoken and that of the body. When you greet someone you ask in Portuguese, "Tudu bem?", "are you okay?" and it is really an invitation to interact, rather than a cue to go on your solitary way. There is no better place for a photographer. It's okay to look...."

Brazil is really fantastic. If only you could understand the way they speak, their accent ! Marvelous.
    The American or the Australian English is not similar to what the Brazilians made to the Portuguese. A sentence in Portuguese has a meaning and the very same - I mean the very same - sentence in Brazilian is something else, so beautiful and funny and serious. Magnificent. I love those guys.

Thank you for the link. Incredible

Real Name
    Steve

Your welcome; glad to be useful. cheers

Real Name
    António Correia

Arith good evening
    I have something else to say regarding what you have written
    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I do not think photo's of dead animals [ Marian Drew] is either attractive or original. I would prefer to view portraits ... Showing emotion has got to be difficult and wouldn't really sell unless it was so good it was in an art gallery...
    I agree with you about showing the dead animals.
    But have you seen how beautiful the images are in themselves ? I mean, the way they are done, processed ? Their "treatment", light, care, composition and so forth ? ...

I would like to post two links - again from silvershotz - to show the coherence of two photographic projects one from James Knight and another from Dale Johnson with lots of beauty.

Enjoy

I am making you to go and see the magazine when you have the chance, as I show you it's cover and back.

Portrait Critique

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Brazil is really fantastic. If only you could understand the way they speak, their accent ! Marvelous.
    The American or the Australian English is not similar to what the Brazilians made to the Portuguese. A sentence in Portuguese has a meaning and the very same - I mean the very same - sentence in Brazilian is something else, so beautiful and funny and serious. Magnificent. I love those guys.
    I do know what you mean here, I feel the same way about certain regional Scottish and Irish accents - when they're speaking English It is usually, but not exclusively, the female voice I could listen to all day

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I do know what you mean here, I feel the same way about certain regional Scottish and Irish accents - when they're speaking English It is usually, but not exclusively, the female voice I could listen to all day
    I was going to give an exposition of my knowledge of different cultures but when doing so decided I don't really know from a small sample. But I can say they are at first more friendly and more open unlike anybody else I have known. This I'm told is their culture and reflected in their language.
    Last edited by arith; 19th February 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Didn't make sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast