Thread: possible wedding photographer

Real Name
    Rod

possible wedding photographer

C&C on this site.

Mod note: Link removed at OP's request.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 19th February 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Link Removed at OP's Request.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: posible wedding photographer

I found that the portfolio page really needs some navigational controls - quite frustrating to have to click on an image - wait for the whizzy effects to open it - then close it - then repeat for the next image

I only checked a few photos but was quite surprised to find that the very first image appeared to be very soft (unless I just needed my reading glasses on?).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi there (Renee?),

The website itself is largely OK, most of the problems centre upon the images and their presentation ...

I agree with Colin in that the Portfolio really needs to be organised as multiple pictures inter-linked with PREV and NEXT buttons - like here at CiC. The lightbox that opens looks identical to ours, so it should be possible.

The pictures should be much smaller, partly to avoid the softness issue, but mainly because one cannot appreciate the compositions if they open massive and require scrolling up and down, even to get to the Close button.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Rod

It's a friends site, i was asked by someone about wedding photographers and remembered my friends site, being wedding photographs and the day being the'best day of your life' i was thinking wedding photographs to be picture perfect, no one wan't to meet a bridezilla if the pictures turn out bad so i thought of asking here about the quality of pictures before i foward the site to the married couple to be.

Real Name

I like to think that Wedding Photography & Space Flight have one thing in common: "Failure is NOT an ooption" ... with that in mind I'd suggest that any couple heading down the aisle hires the services of a professional - AND - checks them out thoroughly. Unfortunately too many brides and grooms to be think that wedding photography is easy (because modern cameras "do it all for you") - and often serious rifts develop because the "uncle Joe" that they asked on the cheap doesn't know how difficult it's going to be either, and there ands up being disappointment all round.

Real Name

Hi mrrod,

Did I miss a Wedding album? I'm not sure your friend has any wedding experience, this is a tricky situation; recommending her (to another friend?) might not do anyone any favours.

I saw mostly baby/children pics and to tell the truth, I wasn't that impressed, they look like full size, unsharpened/processed images to me. It's a shame because I think many could be improved.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th February 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Real Name
    John

http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/10_things.php

Is anyone here familiar with the Professional Photographers of America? I am sure there is a European division or version. These photographers compete against each other, sometimes the category is weddings, and they use the following criteria to ensure that their entry has a chance of succeeding.
    1. Impact
    2. Creativity
    3. Style
    4. Composition
    5. Print Presentation
    6. Color Harmony
    7. Center of Interest
    8. Lighting
    9. Subject Matter
    10. Technical Excellence/Print Quality
    11. Technique
    12. Story Telling
    Any photographer who wins this competition has an automatic testimonial, their award, that he or she is a competent wedding photographer. The link below is a "what to ask list when choosing a wedding photographer. However, one question not asked was who has the rights to the photographs?
    http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/10_things.php
    Last edited by Shadowman; 16th February 2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: additional info

Real Name
    Richard

I would not recommend that you hire this person to shoot your wedding. IMO, the quality of the images are not all that professional and, unless I missed them, I did not find any wedding related images.

Morning All

************************************************** ************************************************

I just had a quick look on the wedding photo site and found my Firewall [Zone Alarm] warned me to get off the site as it is not safe

anybody have similar experiences?

Rob

************************************************** ************************************************

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by RobO View Post
    Morning All

I just had a quick look on the wedding photo site and found my Firewall [Zone Alarm] warned me to get off the site as it is not safe

anybody have similar experiences?

Rob

I didn't but I only looked through a few photos.

Real Name
    Steve

I didn't get any warnings from Kasperski; but who knows.

About the worst job I can think of bar working for the local sewerage works is to be a wedding photographer. Having to turn up to church every weekend and take prescription photo's of the same things over and over again and have the responsibility of everyone of them turning out perfect; the thought of something going wrong like the CF card failing is terrifying.

I'm not good at controlling people and as soon as I sense them taking charge I'm off; so if anybody would like to volunteer let them and good luck.

The pictures in the website were a bit large for my screen and I couldn't see them, but they were not all portraits and I think if your selling portraits that is all that should be on the site.

Membership of the RPS might help obtain an advantage.
    http://www.rps.org/distinctions-introduction

I think that commenting on-line on another persons website is not a very good idea, unless the site owner has requested comment. If you, or your friends, want a wedding photographer then yes, they can save money by doing it themselves or use someone who is keen but who lacks real experience, but the end result may well be very disappointing. As Colin said, wedding photography is one of the things that you really do not want to fail, as you don't get a second chance. If you screw up a portrait session with a duff card or bad shots you could ask the sitter back, apologise, and do it for nothing. You can't do that with a wedding.

Personally I find the whole wedding thing a nightmare and if you want a good example of what weddings (and in this case the preparation for them) do to people have a look at this clip from Gavin and Stacey where Smithy goes to buy a wedding suit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDDamdX0OE4

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    About the worst job I can think of bar working for the local sewerage works is to be a wedding photographer. Having to turn up to church every weekend and take prescription photo's of the same things over and over again and have the responsibility of everyone of them turning out perfect; the thought of something going wrong like the CF card failing is terrifying.
    About the worse job I can think of would be cutting people open and working on bits inside their body ... but ... thankfully there are surgeons who actually enjoy doing that kind of work. Ironically though, many of them would probably hate to try and fix a computer ... so I guess "horses for courses" is what I'm trying to say. Personally, I don't shoot weddings - but I have collegues who absolutely love it (no two photos are ever the same, and different people at each event). Incidentally, in my opinion it's best practice to use a camera with dual media capability for such events to counter the possibility of a card failure - in addition to having several backup bodies available.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    About the worse job I can think of would be cutting people open and working on bits inside their body ... but ...
    This is obviously turning into some ghastly competition - who can think of the worst job!

I think the worst job would be the guy who sits in those mobile speed camera vans snapping speeding motorists. I mean to say, what on earth would you say at a party in answer to that proverbial question "and what exactly do you do...?"

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    This is obviously turning into some ghastly competition - who can think of the worst job!

I think the worst job would be the guy who sits in those mobile speed camera vans snapping speeding motorists. I mean to say, what on earth would you say at a party in answer to that proverbial question "and what exactly do you do...?"
    It is actually hard to think of a worse job than that.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    It is actually hard to think of a worse job than that.
    Or my personal favourite (at perties) ... "I work for the tax depertment" (as a "deathly quiet" suddenly falls over the room!).

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ~ in addition to having several backup bodies available.
    Is a spare Bride, Groom and Best Man sufficent, or do you recommend in-laws as well?

Rob,

Great clip, well acted, don't ya just lurve sisters, eh?

Cheers,