Thread: Afternoon Sky Christmas Day

Real Name
    Carolyn

Afternoon Sky Christmas Day

Nikon D 70s 1/400s focal length 10.00 28.00mm taken at 15.18 25th Dec 2013.

I have not messed with this other than to tidy it up and add border. I did not notice the sky being that green, but was looking into a about-to-set sun. Behind me was the cliff edge and the North Sea. It was quite a surprise when I uploaded as the other pictures taken on the walk did not suggest a camera fault.

This was about 3 minutes later on 'P' setting but not from the same spot.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Afternoon Sky Christmas Day

i am also surprised to see green streaks in the sky; I liked the images very much

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Carolyn, did you notice the green colour while you were shooting? Do you recall how long the green colour lasted? That is, was it green for a second or two or longer than several minutes? Is there anything just over the horizon that could be reflecting this colour?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Something similar like the Northern Lights from Alaska perhaps???

Real Name
    Carolyn

Thanks Wavelength.

Frank- I did not see the green when shooting, but the colours and the light were stunning (which was why I tried to capture them- blue of the sky, rose, gold, copper and greenish- but not like this. The geography of the landscape is interesting. The terrain s flat apart from the rise you can see . It is on a spit of and going down to Spurn Point (in East Riding of Yorkshire UK) 7 miles to the South. The North Sea was abouut 20 yards behind me and over the horizon about 5 miles distant Westwards is the Humber Estuary. The only other thing that might explain it is that abouut 5 miles to the South is the Natural Gas terminal at Easington, but there was no reports of anything odd, like escapes or anythng to do with that. The light and the skies here can be amazing sometimes because of the flatness, the agricultural landscape and the water on three sides.

Real Name
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Something similar like the Northern Lights from Alaska perhaps???
    IzzieK- I would have loved it to be the Northern Lights buut we have never seen them here.

I am more thinking my camera is on its last legs, but then I woud have thought the color wold have bled all over the shot.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty Plumchip View Post
    Thanks Wavelength.

Frank- I did not see the green when shooting, but the colours and the light were stunning (which was why I tried to capture them- blue of the sky, rose, gold, copper and greenish- but not like this. The geography of the landscape is interesting. The terrain s flat apart from the rise you can see . It is on a spit of and going down to Spurn Point (in East Riding of Yorkshire UK) 7 miles to the South. The North Sea was abouut 20 yards behind me and over the horizon about 5 miles distant Westwards is the Humber Estuary. The only other thing that might explain it is that abouut 5 miles to the South is the Natural Gas terminal at Easington, but there was no reports of anything odd, like escapes or anythng to do with that. The light and the skies here can be amazing sometimes because of the flatness, the agricultural landscape and the water on three sides.
    Although it is a long shot, it is possible that you caught a phenomenon referred to as 'green flash'. Search the web and see if you can find a match for what you captured. The closest image I could find to what you are showing was this one:

Real Name
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Although it is a long shot, it is possible that you caught a phenomenon referred to as 'green flash'. Search the web and see if you can find a match for what you captured. The closest image I could find to what you are showing was this one:

Further to, Frank- I have done some reading thanks to your suggestion- never heard of this phenomenon before- really interesting. It would seem that the conditions were just right for a flash of green sky, the topography, temperature, humidity etc. I have sent the photo to our local TV station weather pics- they sometimes do analyses of things people have captured on camera, so I am hoping they can tell me if I have caught something special or just have a camera fault. I say this becase I once had a light- leaking shutter sticking Zenit E that produced some nice abstracts on film. (LOL) and my Nikon 70s is getting quite old now- things keep freezing up. would be so thrilled if it was a rare capture though.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great Idea Carolyn! It will be interesting to see what they come back with. I couldn't locate a really close image of what you captured but the conditions that are needed to get this phenomenon matched.

The only Green Flash image I was ever able to capture was previously posted in THIS post.

Real Name
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Great Idea Carolyn! It will be interesting to see what they come back with. I couldn't locate a really close image of what you captured but the conditions that are needed to get this phenomenon matched.

The only Green Flash image I was ever able to capture was previously posted in THIS post.

Thank you again Frank- The sun rises over the sea, which is 400 metres from my houuse (unfortunately cannot see it without going out down the lane) and sets over the Humber Estuary at this time of year- I am always looking bu never knew about the green flash and rim before. I shall now be trying to spot it all the time! I will post any response I get from the weather station.