Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: lcd protective cover

Real Name
    Calvin

lcd protective cover

Just bought canon 7d.
    Should I buy a protective cover for the lcd screen.
    If so, what kind and where can I buy one.
    Thank you,
    Calvin

Re: lcd protective cover

Hi Calvin,

The lcd's are pretty scratch resistant and most of the lcd screen protectors will make viewing not all that great. Giottos does makes a glass adhesive lcd screen protector but be warned. It is glass, and if it breaks, it will be difficult to remove without the potential of scratching. (You remove the protector by heating up the adhesive with a blow dryer). But honestly, nothing a soft micro fiber cloth and alcohol can't handle to keep it clean.

Real Name
    Roger

I went for about six months without a lcd protector on my new 5D but then I started noticing some minor scuffs & scratches.
    I went to a camera store and bought some "LCD Screen Protectors" by Promaster in a package for about $6. These are thin flexible self-adhesive films that you have to cut to shape and there are several in one package.
    Now, of coarse, they don't have the optical quality of the solid glass ones but I've found that, after 6 months of use, I'm happy with the results and am still on the original one I put on. They protect your camera lcd from minor scratches and scuffs, but obviously won't protect against any shock strong enough the damage the lcd glass!
    Roger

Real Name
    Calvin

Thank you very much for your input Amberglass and rogerb.
    Much appreciated.
    Calvin

Real Name
    Pops

I don't usually have a cover on my screens, because they live in cases when not in my hands. However, I was going to be out where the danger of scratches was great, so I did put a cover on. I got a sheet of book cover plastic and cut several to fit. They worked well for protection, but were not good for viewing. Cheaper is not always better, but something is better than nothing.

Pops

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Calvin,

What you're looking at on the camera IS the protector; they're easily removed & replaced if needed. You can add a "protector for the protector" if you like, but I don't bother personally.

Real Name
    Larry

I agree with Amberglass that keeping the original screen clean with an alcohol swipe is the best.

Real Name
    Calvin

Thanks Colin Southern.
    Will take your advice.
    And thanks to all others.
    You all are a great bunch.
    Calvin

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by czerwick View Post
    Thanks Colin Southern.
    Will take your advice.
    And thanks to all others.
    You all are a great bunch.
    Calvin
    No worries Calvin. For what it's worth, I've never scratched an LCD screen yet, I just use a microfibre cloth and a touch of "laser breath" to clean mine. Also, if you learn to shoot with your left eye it tends to keep the greasy end of your nose away from the screen on most cameras.

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

To play save, if I'm using my gear during a trip, I use a screen protector on my LCD. As they are around a dollar each see example: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20497 I take them off if I do not want them anymore, but most of the time they stay.

GGS screen protectors are the way to go, 7 layers of toughened laminated glass that end up 0.5mm thick. Very cheap on ebay and come as a kit with a small one for your top screen as well. If in doubt do a search on Nikon Cafe for GGS Screen Protector, and see what is said. I have a set on my D90 and they are great.

For what it's worth my wife & I always use LCD protectors on all our Nikon cameras - the Nikon originals - and tie them with a piece of fishing nylon to the camera strap fastening so that they don't get accidentally lost.

We shoot a lot of fast moving motorsport action and it's easy to lose things in the "heat of the moment."

Rob