Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ocean Dawn - Does this work?

Ocean Dawn - Does this work?

Since the first day of 2010, I have been focusing on seascape photography. Last Saturday morning, I went to Sydney eastern coast again, and took the following photo. It presented very much what I perceived in my mind of the scene.

One thing I am not quite sure is that: I know I placed the horizon in the middle of the frame which people might think is not quite right. But this is what I really want in fact, because different layers of colors reflected the change of light during that time, and seems only place the horizon in the middle is a better option. But I like to hear other people's opinions on this.

Thanks very much,

Yan

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Ocean Dawn - Does this work?

Your photo's are great; this one is although it hasn't got a sense of looking into infinity and I don't know how to fix it or if it should be. Maybe if it was wider; but I don't know.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Your photo's are great; this one is although it hasn't got a sense of looking into infinity and I don't know how to fix it or if it should be. Maybe if it was wider; but I don't know.
    I agree with Arith, there isn't much you can change with this image without losing some of its character. If you decreased the sky you lose the nice blue color, you could change your perspective, shooting from a lower level and keep the existing field of view and see how it looks.

arith and shadowman,

Thanks for your comments. I feel this type of scenes is particularly difficult to shoot, there is something out there I like to capture, but not quite sure which way is the best. I'll try next times with different perspectives, to see how it goes.

Real Name
    Chris

Yan,
    If you cropped the sky just down to where the color changes end would you still get the effect you were looking for? Fantastic image no matter what
    Chris

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Yan

Your objective, as you have stated, was to capture the different layers of colour. So, this was about capturing a mood, an atmosphere, rather than a specific subject that would be the focus of attention.

If that is correct, then I wonder if the doubts you express are because the different layers of colour are in the land AND the sky? As a result, you are obliged to include the hard edge (horizon) between the land and the sky. And this is creating a tension/conflict with the mood/atmosphere you are trying to capture through the layers of colour.

If the range of colours were all in the sky, or all in the land, this tension/conflict would not exist. Your comment suggests to me that you thought by placing the horizon on half-way you would balance the layers of colours. My question would be - is there anywhere you could have placed the horizon that would resolve the tension between the hard edge of the horizon and the 'mood' of the layers of colours?

Quote Originally Posted by cneedha View Post
    Yan,
    If you cropped the sky just down to where the color changes end would you still get the effect you were looking for? Fantastic image no matter what
    Chris
    Cneedha,

Thanks for your comments. I have one version of cutting the sky where the color started to change. That version might be better, but not quite sure if it presented what I want to express. Will attach it shortly.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Yan,

Let's attempt to answer a question with another question ...

... "which do you think looks better"?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yan

Your objective, as you have stated, was to capture the different layers of colour. So, this was about capturing a mood, an atmosphere, rather than a specific subject that would be the focus of attention.

If that is correct, then I wonder if the doubts you express are because the different layers of colour are in the land AND the sky? As a result, you are obliged to include the hard edge (horizon) between the land and the sky. And this is creating a tension/conflict with the mood/atmosphere you are trying to capture through the layers of colour.

If the range of colours were all in the sky, or all in the land, this tension/conflict would not exist. Your comment suggests to me that you thought by placing the horizon on half-way you would balance the layers of colours. My question would be - is there anywhere you could have placed the horizon that would resolve the tension between the hard edge of the horizon and the 'mood' of the layers of colours?
    Dear Donald,

I think I got your point: it seems there is a conflict between mood that I want to express through different layers of colors and the hard horizon line that presents a tension between sky and water. Probably this is waht I am not sure about this image.

Here is another version that I took just couple of minutes after the previous shot. I used the same focal length, but with cropping out some part of sky.

Does this better present the atmosphere I like to express?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Yan,

Let's attempt to answer a question with another question ...

... "which do you think looks better"?

Colin,

Thanks for your help on this. I think your version is a better option. I just posted a similar version, but it was a different shot. After comparing these two versions, I think my version is not as good as this one since my new version's foreground water may be too big.