Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: DIY R1900 Ink Sets !

Real Name
    John

DIY R1900 Ink Sets !

Hi,
    Has anyone ever been brave enough or daft enough to try loading their own ink cartridges. Let me explain I have just been reading an article online about printing B&W images on the Epsom R1900 which I have, it mentions the use of light grey taken from the Epsom range of inks to replace the matt black. This started me of thinking is it feasible to replace other inks, matching the tone( i.e. grey for orange) and keep this set up for my B&W work only. Yes I know that the print driver is there to work out all that clever stuff in the background but they don’t actually know what’s in the carts do they.

It only a question and if you don`t ask you`ll never know

Keep Clicking JEMS

Re: DIY R1900 Ink Sets !

Some people can get into enough trouble using genuine inks without trying DIY stuff such as using off brand or substitute colour inks. Good luck.

I have used 3rd party inks on my little C79. According to the supplier they were chipped but they are not detected by the so when one runs out you don't know which cart it is. Also the head will not move to the load position and you have to time the power off while doing a clean so the it stops in the correct position.
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by JEMS View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone ever been brave enough or daft enough to try loading their own ink cartridges. Let me explain I have just been reading an article online about printing B&W images on the Epsom R1900 which I have, it mentions the use of light grey taken from the Epsom range of inks to replace the matt black. This started me of thinking is it feasible to replace other inks, matching the tone( i.e. grey for orange) and keep this set up for my B&W work only. Yes I know that the print driver is there to work out all that clever stuff in the background but they don’t actually know what’s in the carts do they.

It only a question and if you don`t ask you`ll never know

Keep Clicking JEMS
    Since last 2 years I am using ( 3rd party ) CIS System ink in my old R-390 EPSON Printer, ink comes in liquid form and I am very much satisfied with the print, you cant differentiate between print made with original cartridge and with this CIS System...Benifit
    I get print @ 1/20 the cost of original cartridge. By doing so Epson people are not servicing my Printer. But what I save on Ink cost in one year is enough to buy one BRAND NEW PRINTER...

Quote Originally Posted by ashwin View Post
    Since last 2 years I am using ( 3rd party ) CIS System ink in my old R-390 EPSON Printer, ink comes in liquid form and I am very much satisfied with the print, you cant differentiate between print made with original cartridge and with this CIS System...Benifit
    I get print @ 1/20 the cost of original cartridge. By doing so Epson people are not servicing my Printer. But what I save on Ink cost in one year is enough to buy one BRAND NEW PRINTER...
    Tell me how good the prints still are in 5 years time.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Hi Bill,

For what it's worth, I've changed to Lyson ink cartridges for my Epson 7800 - and all appears normal. In fact - from what I've read - if anything, the Lyson ink is a slightly higher spec than the Epson.

I was very happy with Epson ink - but - I just had a feeling that somone was making a HUGE margin on it. In NZ Dollars, a set of 8 carts were costing TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. Eight Lyson carts cost me $800; so some really significant savings to be made.

The "traditional fear of god" argument put forth by the distributors of the genuine ink is that 3rd party inks clog the print head ... well ... I did a nozzle check the other day and I DID have a few blocked nozzles on a couple of colours ... and upon closer inspection discovered that at that stage 1 was Epson ink and the other was Lyson ink.

My gut feeling is that some 3rd party inks are very poor quality whilst most genuine inks attract HUGE markups for those who clip the ticket along the way. Bottom line - probably big savings to me made if you do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    Hi Bill

For your information, please note that we usually get Prints done on Photographic paper
    from Colour Lab.. but on many occassion we are required to deliver some selected Photos
    at venue site itself.. for that we print on my EPSON Printer, it has to be good prints at the time of delivery, and there after4/5 months....

After the programme is over, we get all the prints ( including prints made on Epson Printer ) done by Colour Lab on Photographic paper, and deliver complete lot to client..

As regards lasting I have noticed that gradually after 7/8 months prints get deterioted..
    But I am not using this ink system for long lasting purpose, It is being used for EXIBITION, DISPLAY PURPOSE after exibition is over you can afford to throw it in dustbin. I am using this since last two years. So far I have not received any complaint from my client... I am saving lot on cost of INK
    Last edited by Ashwin; 23rd January 2010 at 01:54 PM.