Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Gable End c1500

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Gable End c1500

Have spent a bit of time on this today. Now wondering if it was worth it. What do you think? I'm wondering if it's interesting enough.

Balvaird Castle. Building commenced in 1500.
    Gable End c1500
    40D, Tokina 11-16@11mm. ISO 100. 1/30@f11. Manual. Spot Metered. 3:04pm, 17 January.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Gable End c1500

Hi Donald,

I can see what you mean, no doubt a noble structure (in its day), but now rather forlorn.

The issues I see with it are;
    The tree 'poking out' from behind on the left.
    To a lesser extent, also the one on the right too.
    To a greater extent (than the right), the one showing through the middle too.

It is a shame there isn't something that could be nicely framed through there, I can see you have tried with the placement of the trunk, but it doesn't really work because of the size of the tree.

Also, the sharpening looks a bit overcooked on the amount and radius - given that the sky isn't blown (and well done on that), there is a definite white edge of a pixel or two around the wall against the sky.

Sorry to confirm your fears, but I do like your other recent work, as you know.

Best regards,

Real Name
    Wendy

It is a shame there isn't something that could be nicely framed through there, I can see you have tried with the placement of the trunk, but it doesn't really work because of the size of the tree.
    Hi Donald: I too like the idea of using the wall as a frame for the valley below. I'm thinking in the spring when the buds are at just that perfect time to show as kind of a green haze but not so full blown that they cover the scenery.

Something like this, but in the spring. It doesn't work from a documentary point of view of Gable End, but it might make a nice shot. I agree it is a bit bleak right now.

Gable End c1500

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

An Old Tree

This is another attempt, this afternoon, at exploring texture.

Gable End c1500

40D, Tokina 11-16 @11mm. ISO 100. 1/80@f8. Manual. Spot Metered. 3:25pm, 17 January.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Re: An Old Tree

Love both the shots, Donald.

Second one is just too good. Dry trees always entice me.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for your comments. The lesson - go with the feelings and don't try and 'push' an image because you think it should be good. Wendy - That's some crop! But it gives me an idea for when I re-visit the castle. It's close to my house and makes for an nice afternoon stroll.

Real Name
    Steve

I think just take out the trees left and right and job done.

Donald,

I am now getting to stage that I will probably cease to comment on these images. I get far more pleasure from viewing them than I do from commenting on them. So I am not being ignorant when I put you posts in the same box as that of Antonio and Fernando (KasKais) and just quietly enjoy them. I will let you know if you start pixel peeping or become a photographers photographer though

PS. Don't tell Antonio I am a fan...he might stop being objective about my poor attempts at portraiture

Edit: in reality the chances of keeping my gob shut are pretty slim

Steve