Thread: Photoshop Start-up Problems

Real Name
    Richard

Photoshop Start-up Problems

All of a sudden, I am getting a message when trying to start up Photoshop...

Photoshop.exe - System Error
    The program can't start because MSVCP110.Dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I tried to Google MSVCP110.Dll and get no Photoshop specific information. Lots of posts from gamers.

Many of the Google hits want me to download another fix. Such as:
    http://www.helpcomp.com/help/pc/f-ms...74036799&p=1s2

PROBLEM SOLVED...
    I phoned Google help and they sent me the following email:
    Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting Nik by Google.

To install the new Nik Collection upgrade you can download the trial version in our website and install on top of your current Nik Collection by Google version. Please, do not uninstall your Nik Collection. The trial version will upgrade your Nik Collection with the latest updates and will be activated.

Just go to our website and click on the “Try Now” button on the top right in our main webpage. When the download is complete, locate the file on your computer, make sure to quit out of any host image editing application such as Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture, double-click on the installer and follow the onscreen instructions.

We hope you will continue to be our valued customer and enjoy your new Nik Collection by Google.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or visit support.google.com/nikcollection to call our Customer Service Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

THIS WORKED... I can now open my Photoshop CS6 with no problems and I can also access my NIK Software through Photoshop - including the new Analog Filter!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st October 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Real Name
    Remco

Re: Photoshop Start-up Problems

That specific file isn't part of Photoshop, but of a so-called C++ runtime (support files taking care of common tasks).
    Normally, you shouldn't have any problems with it, so:
    - you had a Photoshop update and they goofed (forgot to package or update some files) or
    - you had a another (windows?) update that for some reason removed that file or
    - something else removed that file...
    Something must have happened between the last time you started Photoshop successfully and the appearance of the error...

For what it's worth, some one else seems to have the same problem.
    The other thread referenced there gives some possible causes/remedies.
    (Ideally, I'd suggest that you contact Adobe first to see if they have anything to say about it, but that seems to be of limited use)

Best would be, I think, to see whether any of the updates mentioned in the 2nd thread I linked to have happened, and reverse them if possible.

Then, if that doesn't work, you could try downloading and installing the Microsoft package with that DLL from here (the official MS site, afaik), but check that it is the proper version for your windows (under 'requirements'), and download the proper files (depending on your Windows version).

Don't use any of the proposed 'fixes' from unknown sites (as if I'd have to tell you that)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Richard,

I'd normally expect that file to be in your C:\Windows\System32 folder -- could you start by taking a look there and see if it's actually present?

I had the exact same problem today, I ran a virus checker (nothing found) and did a windows update and everything seems back to normal now. I wonder if it's coincidental but when I managed to restart Photoshop, my Nik had gained the new Analog filter. Hope that helps?

Hi, I am new to the site and joined basically to identify this same problem that appeared on my system today. A net search has revealed that the problem is likely to be associated with NIK software. A "pushed" installation has been completed on my system sometime today, and showing Version 1.1.0.5. The following related information may be relevant.
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/5802740
    I hope the "fix" isn't too messy, and occurs sooner rather than later.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting. I don't seem to have the problem, but I am running Photoshop CC, not 6. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I am not a fan of automated installs. I have this feature turned off where ever possible and I usually wait a day or two after a release of a new version before I update. That way, I tend not to have these problems as everyone else finds out about them, the software gets patched and by the time I install, the problems have been solved.

Hopefully Nik / Google learned from this issue and improve their pre-release testing AND change the way they do their updates.

This is a problem caused by an auto update from Nik/Google. I can not have my business deal with problems caused by auto updates. There is a reason why we update and test before deploying across the network. I called them to yell at them and told them to give us the option to turn off auto updates. I suggest they hear it from a lot of people so they might make the change. Auto updates were added in the March update release (aka the google release).

Tangent: There is also a problem that I have noticed before and still happens sometimes, after editing a photo with nik, the embeded copyright status gets flipped over to "public domain".
    Last edited by ziplock122949; 31st October 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I just sent Goggle / Nik Collection a very sharply worded note on their automated update process asking for a way to opt out of these. If anyone else wants to do so, here is the web link.

https://support.google.com/nikcollec...tact/nik_email

Real Name
    John

Well I never. I just checked my NIK collection and there it was, the Analogue filter. Snuck in while I wasn't looking. Now that bothers me because neither Google nor Windows 7 warned me that it was about to happen and that means Google found a way to bypass the W7 security checkpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Well I never. I just checked my NIK collection and there it was, the Analogue filter. Snuck in while I wasn't looking. Now that bothers me because neither Google nor Windows 7 warned me that it was about to happen and that means Google found a way to bypass the W7 security checkpoint.
    I agree. This is a major security problem that I will not stand for. How can we trust Google when they try to secretly do things (in other news, google has a couple of barges floating...)

Yes, I too had no notification of the "pushed" NIK (Google) update. However I have fixed my problem. Simply uninstall the NIK collection from the system and reinstall. As I had to head off to work, I didn't have time to actually go into CS5 after the reinstall and check that the whole setup was happy, but CS5 did open successfully without the missing file notification.

If updates without prior notification can be applied to a system, without warning from either Win7 and TrendMicro (my setup), what else can be accessed from an individuals PC? I think Apple might be my next upgade, but then why would Apple be any more secure? I guess that's another discussion.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for posting this.

For the specifics: On my computer, it was not in the windows\system32 directory, where I would have expected it, but rather in c:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\LWAPlu gin\x86\15.8\. Make a copy somewhere else and a note about where it is on your computer and you can just copy it back if you run into this problem.

This does not address the larger problem. I also hate having any company take over my machine for any purpose, including updates. This is very Google-ish: they do what they want, and we play along because we like the services.

Just as a follow-up, the uninstall and reinstall of the NIK software was all that was required to fix this particular problem. Immediately after uninstalling NIK, I opened CS5 to determine if NIK was indeed creating the problem, and this confirmed that it was, as Photoshop opened in the normal manner. I then reinstalled NIK and the status quo was restored with all programs working efficiently. Photoshop CS5 was not touched, nor any files in the system directory. Not by me at least, but probably via the un/reinstall. I have also noticed that CS5 boots up a little quicker following the new NIK software installation.

I thought this problem with the missing .dll file, may have been a little more widespread, but from the lack of enquiries through other forums by users requiring assistance, it seems to be quite isolated. Hope this helps others who may have been initially very concerned with the problem.
    Last edited by poppyrob; 2nd November 2013 at 12:18 AM.