Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIK Analog Efex Pro

Real Name
    Richard

NIK Analog Efex Pro

I purchased the NIK Complete Collection from Google when they first offered it. A new plug-in has been added to that NIK series: Analog Efex Pro. I am wondering how to go about adding this to my collection. I understand that it is a free add on.

I enjoy shooting U.S. Civil War Reenactions and the Wet Plate Process filter, included with Analog Efex Pro, would be just the ticket for converting my digital Civil War imagery to look like "authentic" Civil war images. I have seen many photographers who attempt to give an "authentic" look to their Civil War imagery by adding a sepia effect. In reality, sepia toning did not appear until well after the Civil War ended.

The Wet Plate filter does a superb job in converting a color digital image to look like a photo shot with a wet plate camera...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: NIK Analog Efex Pro

It looks like it will install itself (eventually)

https://support.google.com/nikcollec..._topic=3467181

Real Name
    Richard

Thank you Manfred. I will close down my computer tonight when I go to bed and perhaps magically I will see the Analog eFex Pro loaded tonorrow

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Thank you Manfred. I will close down my computer tonight when I go to bed and perhaps magically I will see the Analog eFex Pro loaded tonorrow
    Same here, but not holding my breath. I wasn't aware of automatic updates. Thanks!
    AFAIK, my Nik Collection hasn't updated yet either.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Richard - it means close down Photoshop or Lightroom, not your computer. The computer has to be on and connected to the network for the download to happen.

Real Name
    John

One simply clicks the button on the top right of their website screen that says "TRY". When the download (entire package) is complete, perform the installation like you did originally. It will update any files that need to be updated and add the new one. Assuming you have previously purchased the package you are done.

John

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Seems to be there, but I'm not sold on what it does (yet).

NIK Analog Efex Pro

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

My Color Efex was sending me odd error messages. My instant cure for all computer glitches is to reboot. When I restarted and reopened Nik, there she was: Analog Efex Pro. I was not even aware that this plug-in existed. Also in my queue was HDR Efex Pro, a plug-in that did not get installed with my bundle originally. I believe Color Efex has also been upgraded judging by start up and application times (longer). I ran one vintage camera filter on a San Francisco cable car image I just took and was very happy with it. I look forward to more attempts even though I never really used this type of effect before.

Real Name
    Venser

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Seems to be there, but I'm not sold on what it does (yet).
    I played around with it quite a bit last night and most of the preset edits aren't to my liking. Considering I paid a grand total of zero dollars for this add-on, I'll happily take it and hopefully find it useful down the road.

Real Name
    Richard

I have it also and I agree that most of the presets are not to my liking. But, I guess the price was right! However, the preset wet plate look really makes the image look old and worn...

NIK Analog Efex Pro
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd November 2013 at 05:29 AM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The part I really don't like is the way Google updates behind the scenes, and as we found out the hard way, broke things. I generally disable all automatic updates and wait a day or two before installing to see if there is any noise on the net about problems with the update.

I wrote Google who were nice enough to tell me that there is no way to disable Google updates in the Nik software, but even though they do not recommend it, there are ways to be found on the internet to do so.

Nicely said; my Google updater has been disabled by disabling the Google update services (there are two of them), through the Windows Task Manager. I'll have to manually install the updates in the future, but that is better than Google breaking my computer...

Even though it is free; I really don't like the results.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

.... through the Windows Task Manager.
    Manfred - Where exactly are you getting that? I'm looking at the Task Manager and it's not obvious (or am I stupid?) how you do that.

My Elements 11 is now behaving oddly! Don't know if it's linked to this update or not.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Not sure what you are running:

On Windows 7 - Task Manager click the Services tab and then click the Services button on the bottom right corner.

That will pop up another window and under the Name, scroll down until you see the two Google Update Services items.

If they are running, stop the service by clicking the appropriate service status button.

Thengo to the Startup Type pulldown menu and select "Disabled".

That is going to prevent any Google software (includeing the Chrome browser, Google Earth and the Nik Collection from running the silent update.

You'll have to manually download the software to update; but I would go back after doing so to ensure that Google, in its infinite wisdom, hasn't restarted those services as part of the install process.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Not sure what you are running:

On Windows 7 - Task Manager click the Services tab and then click the Services button on the bottom right corner.

That will pop up another window and under the Name, scroll down until you see the two Google Update Services items.

If they are running, stop the service by clicking the appropriate service status button.

Thengo to the Startup Type pulldown menu and select "Disabled".

That is going to prevent any Google software (includeing the Chrome browser, Google Earth and the Nik Collection from running the silent update.

You'll have to manually download the software to update; but I would go back after doing so to ensure that Google, in its infinite wisdom, hasn't restarted those services as part of the install process.
    That is brilliant. Would have never found it on my own.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

The part I really don't like is the way Google updates behind the scenes, and as we found out the hard way, broke things.
    Yes I was a bit peeved to find this too. I'd been away for a couple of weeks and hadn't accessed CS6. Then I read this thread and went looking for the update. To my dismay, all the Nik plug-ins had dis-appeared and I had to do a fresh install. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.

I'm not totally against auto updates but I do expect to be told about them.

Dave

Real Name
    Bobo

It is installed. Played around with it a bit. Has a lot of customisation to get the kind of old look one wants.

NIK Analog Efex Pro

My first go at it. Kinda fun playing around to see what you can get.

NIK Analog Efex Pro

After reading Carl's post in his thread, I'm going to leave LR running so it won't update to the new plug-in.

Furthermore, I really don't want or need an "old look" on my images - not what I'm after.

Glenn

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Like some of you, I couldn't resist a play with Nik Analog FX Pro:
    Before
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...chmentid=29257

After:
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...chmentid=29258

This plugin looks like a lot of fun - but I don't know how useful it will be in the long run.

PS -TinyPics seems to be down, so these are the links to my CiC Album. I don't know how I need to embed them from there.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    After reading Carl's post in his thread, I'm going to leave LR running so it won't update to the new plug-in.

Furthermore, I really don't want or need an "old look" on my images - not what I'm after.

Glenn
    It got me when I wasn't looking. Tried to call up one of the Nik filters last night and got the message that that particular DLL was missing. I just reinstalled the old version, and it works fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast