Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Need help!

One of the foreign partner of our organisation is here. I was told to take a few pics, which I did, in HASTE. I didn't get time to make manual settings, so switched my camera to portrait mode and took the shots. They came out little dull, which I believe was because of wrong white-balance. I did little photo-shopping. I don't know if its up-to the mark. Please help me. I got to give him the pics soon. I am attaching down-sized images.

test-.jpg

test1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Re: Need help!

The second set.

test-b.jpg

test-2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

How many do you need retouched? Were they shot RAW or JPEG?

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

JPEG. Never taken a RAW shot. Are these shots not good enough? Well, I would need both to be retouched. You want me to upload original size of the shots? (I take shots at 5.2 MP)

Real Name

Hi Sahil,

I think you've done a good job with the processing, but in making the image more contrasty (overall) I think it's had a somewhat unflattering effect on the skintones of the gentleman on the right (who's dark skin is getting caught up a little too close to the black clipping point).

If you'd like to send me the originals I'd be happy to take a look at them. The easiest way is to go to www.sendthisfile.com - create a free account - upload the files and address them to yourself - and when the download link arrives in your eMail, copy/paste the link to me in a PM.

Then I can download them and fire them back to you when I'm done.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Colin, thanks for the offer. But on second thought, these people won't find anything wrong with the image as they don't know much. I think I should mail this image as it is. I just wanted to know if I had done something horribly wrong.
    They are gonna find the Pic GREAT!
    What say?
    And the gentleman on the right is our Chairman
    Wish could make his skin-tone little lighter

Real Name

No worries - more time for me out on the boat tomorrow

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wow. Hope to see some great shots of the water-body you are heading to.
    Thank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    The second set.
    Little help from Kolkata ( India )

Need help!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Ashwin, thats so cool. Mind telling me what all you did? You just worked upon the skin-tone of the gentleman on the right side? I really need to know how skin-tones can be worked upon. I use photo-shop.
    My boss would have loved this pic, but I have already sent him the images I processed.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi.
    Again some official work

My boss's father has to get his book printed. My boss is taking care of that. He wants me to take care of the cover design. He wants something with Sunrise, mountains etc. Something in abstract category. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hi.

A cousin of mine has asked for the following pic. I have edited it a bit. There was a white sky in the orginal pic, so tampered with that too. I haven't done it nicely though
    I need some suggestions for the image. Should I crop out some portion of the image, like staircase on the right side & stairs in front? To bring the door closer?

Need help!

Need help!

Real Name
    Rick

Hi, Sahil;

This would be my take. My thought is that it doesn't matter how many steps up the door is, but that it's a red door in a drab background, and that it's on the side of the building, with an alley extending to the side. I cropped to focus more on the door, cutting out most of the steps, some of the left wall, and a little of the right wall. I also added just a little contrast.

If the steps up to the door are important to the story, then I went in the wrong direction, of course.

Cheers,
    Rick

Need help!

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Sahil: Nice shot on so many levels. Subject, colours and textures are all excellent. I really like this one.

I prefer Rick's crop though and his explanation as to why he would crop it that way. I might go even further and crop the sky and wall to the right. You loose context, but end up concentrating more on the colour and texture. To my eye both work it just depends what you want.

Need help!

Wendy

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks Rick & Wendy. I like both of your versions.

As far as "What I wanted was" is concerned is the door & the stairs. The alley etc. couldn't have been avoided (kept out of frame), but, Wendy, now I feel the image is too tight cropped, from the right side, . I don't know. Trust me, I am liking both the versions. A few more suggestions possible?
    I don't know why but I love clicking doors like these and windows..

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Thanks Rick & Wendy. I like both of your versions.

As far as "What I wanted was" is concerned is the door & the stairs. The alley etc. couldn't have been avoided (kept out of frame), but, Wendy, now I feel the image is too tight cropped, from the right side, . I don't know. Trust me, I am liking both the versions. A few more suggestions possible?
    I don't know why but I love clicking doors like these and windows..
    Hey Sahil, it is a great image. I think I like Rick's crop the best. In the end the choice is yours. The tight crop was just an option. I'm not sure about it either, just posted in order to see all the possibilities side by side.

Edit: Another suggestion would be Rick's crop without the sky, but leave the part I cropped on the right.

Looks like there is tons of potential in this location. I really like the lighting, colours and the texture in the walls and steps.

Wendy

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks for the reply Wendy.

I am thinking of adding more wall towards the right side. & may be clone out the pipes in the alley. The walls & all are textured so cloning is not really a problem. Much thanks again, to Rick & you!
    Would look forward to your feedback again on the next version.

Real Name
    Wendy

No problem Sahil. The impact of the door is so strong, I did not even notice the pipes. No matter what you do it is a very appealing shot.

Hope to hear from others around the world as to how they might treat it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

This is what I have come up with...

Need help!

What say?

Real Name
    Wendy

Looks good Sahil. One thing though, and it could just be my monitor, but it seems the light parts in the wall have become a bit bright, especially just above the door and at the front of the steps. To my eye and on this screen the brighness has detracted from the texture in the wall.

Also I think you should try a final version with Rick's crop. As I go back and forth between the 2 I cannot decide - door with context or just the door. Both work for me.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this. I always find it a difficult decision knowing when and what to crop.

Wendy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast