Thread: More Birds!

Real Name
    Ali

More Birds!

These are shots of the GBH that frequents the pond near where I work. He was missing for a couple of weeks and I thought he must of headed for Florida.

Well he appeared the other day and I got some pics of him hunting and a few flying and of course I had some different setting on my camera. I had the partial metering on from shooting the foliage earlier and forgot to change it. So the pics are on the dark side. I sort of liked the way they look and made one with a more artsy look. Interested in what you think. Too dark? Strange color? Don't like the artsy one? Don't like any of them?

#1- he was looking right at me. I was about 25 feet away and he didn't fly away. Kept hunting.
    More Birds!

More Birds!

#3 - changed metering
    More Birds!

More Birds!

#5 - Added a soft focus and dark vignette
    More Birds!
    Last edited by ajsmith; 11th October 2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Adding comments

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: More Birds!

Hi Ali,

I think #1 is my favourite, although #4 is a close second.

Personally I tend to shoot all mine darker like these (unless I forget), so #1 and #2 are what I aim for.

I'm not sure of the benefit of the dark area on right of #2, if mine, I'd have cropped it off.

#3 - well, I have shot a few like this and really, although there's undeniably "action", I find there's not much recognisable to look at.

#4 good capture, well processed, as are all the above.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of #5's treatment, I like to see my nature shots clearly

HTH,

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Ali,

The first image is my favourite, absolutely stunning. I find the straight on shots with herons especially challenging, and you've managed it brilliantly. #2 is also gorgeous... Next up for me is #4...

For #3 I think a faster shutter speed freezes the action better, but like Dave I have a lot of these shots and I'm not sure they show enough

Not crazy about #5 because it doesn't look natural...

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Wonderful! I think #1 is my favorite. The somewhat diagonal neck takes my eye to the head and those cool looking eyes. #4 is my next favorite. #5 looks just a tad overprocessed to me.

Great shots!

Real Name
    Ali

Dave,

Thank you for your comments. #1 is my favorite too. With #5 I was trying to create that dreamy mystical look, but I guess it is a personal preference for that type of stuff.

Real Name
    Ali

Christina,

Thanks for commenting. It's funny how the straight on shot makes it look like a different bird with a smaller beak. I love how the eyes are positioned on the head. I think he was giving me a look that I should stay out of his territory.

Are the GBH's that you see friendly? Can you get close to them? This one comes to my work and acts like he owns the place. He walks around the pond and goes out back where the warehouse is and checks things out. Everyone loves him.

Real Name
    Ali

Cliff,

#1 is my favorite too. I noticed the diagonal line as soon as I saw the pic on the computer. I love his eyes too. #5 has some blurring to create a soft sort of dreamy focus and a dark vignette. I think it is a personal preference to the way you want a photo to look. Maybe it needs to be more dramatic so there is no mistaking it is manipulated art.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Ali,

I couldn't help but comment on such beautiful bird photos... I like the straight on look and will have to give it another try, so far I have not managed to do it well.

The herons here are hard to find (except in mating season and then they are inaccessible because the nest high in the trees). They are also very skittish but I have managed to get fairly close once in a while... but not often enough. I'm very envious of your friendly, pet heron... Make the most of your time with him, these photos are beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    Christina,

Thanks for commenting. It's funny how the straight on shot makes it look like a different bird with a smaller beak. I love how the eyes are positioned on the head. I think he was giving me a look that I should stay out of his territory.

Are the GBH's that you see friendly? Can you get close to them? This one comes to my work and acts like he owns the place. He walks around the pond and goes out back where the warehouse is and checks things out. Everyone loves him.

Real Name
    Ali

Since the consensus is that no one likes the treatment on #5, here is the photo without the artsy effects.

Sushi
    More Birds!

Real Name
    Christina

I like this one...

Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    Since the consensus is that no one likes the treatment on #5, here is the photo without the artsy effects.

Sushi
    More Birds!

Real Name
    John

Nice series, I like the wisps of light you captured on the birds feathers.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

These images are all precious; i really like them all without an exception.... they keep a fine chronology
    Regards