Thread: VR + Non VR lens - Nikon

VR + Non VR lens - Nikon

Hey! So I'm completely new to any sort of decent camera, so I need some advice.

First, can you combine lenses, like a Nikon 18-55mm and Nikon 55-200mm to make an increased zoom lens?

Secondly, if you can do this... if the 18-55mm is a VR lens and the 55-200mm is not a VR lens, will this cause any issues? Will the entire combo lens be VR due to the one being VR?

Thanks for all your help!

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: VR + Non VR lens - Nikon

Answer to Q1 - No
    Answer to Q2 - Not applicable

Grahame

Thanks!

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Answer to Q1 - No
    Grahame,

Does “nameless” not perhaps have a valid question here? If you can fit a lens back to front on your camera as a macro lens why is it impossible to have two lenses joined together?

I am actually going to try it and see what the result is. Somewhere in the back of my head something tells me it might just be an interesting experiment.

Real Name
    Grahame

Andre,

I based my reply upon the following statement;

"" Hey! So I'm completely new to any sort of decent camera ""

Many of us are aware that you can reverse such as a 50mm onto another lens primarily for increasing magnification in macro work. To do this there is a requirement for adaptors and also doing such things as taping up the aperture lever.

Nothing is impossible and I'm sure you will get some 'results' from adapting two zooms together assuming you do it so that the weight of the outer one does not strip the threads of the inner one.

I look forward to seeing your results, perhaps you are going to discover a cheap effective way from having to buy long focal length lenses for bird shooters

Grahame

Real Name
    Lex

Bpoco, the gents have already pointed out that lenses aren't designed to be stacked on the camera. However, there are devices which go between the lens and the camera to increase focal length or decrease minimum focus distance.

The first is a teleconverter, which is sort of a like a magnifying lens inserted between the camera and the lens. They will multiply the lens's focal length, usually by 1.4x or 2x, turning, say, a 200mm lens into a 280mm (1.4x) or 400mm (2x) lens. The downside is that they also multiply the aperture, so you need to run your camera at a higher, noisier ISO speed to maintain the same exposure. In addition, only select lenses, usually high-end ones, are compatible with teleconverters.

Second, extension tubes. These are just hollow cylinders that go between a lens and a camera. Their drawbacks are very similar to teleconverters, but they also (usually) disable autofocus force the lens wide open, where the lens is least sharp and you don't have much depth of field. They do decrease the minimum focus distance. Handy for macro photography (bugs, flowers, small objects, etc.), but other than that, they're very uncommon these days.