Thread: Vibration reduction is a GOOD thing in a lens!

Real Name
    E. James

Vibration reduction is a GOOD thing in a lens!

105mm Macro-Nikkor at f/5.6, 1/20s, ISO 800. Vibration Reduction is NOT overrated...

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Vibration reduction is a GOOD thing in a lens!

I'm missing the point...as I rely on tripods, I rarely concern myself with VR.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I guess it is a good thing. The down side of it is that there are more things that can go wrong with the lens. As I do not have any VR lens I am stuck with using a tripod and learning how to get it right without VR.

Real Name
    E. James

No tripods allowed in the museum...

VR/IS/OS is a good thing in a lens.

Was there ever any doubt?

I use a tripod frequently (as often as I can), but there are many time when it isn't possible (too many to list and debate over ).

Glenn

Real Name
    Manu

For a macro lens? Not so much. Chances are, if a particular optical stabilization even works at macro distances, the benefit may be about a stop at most. Here's a handheld shot without stabilization, about a stop lower:
    (Sony NEX-3, Sigma 70mm f/2.8, ISO 800, f/8, 1/60s)

Now, at non-macro distances where 3-4 stops can be expected, stabilization can be of use.

Real Name
    Richard

I have never used a macro lens with any type of stabilization but, I have three Canon lenses that do include Image Stabilization: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS. The stabilization in these lenses has helped me greatly. I especially would not want a telephoto lens without IS.

I do a lot of my close-up work hand held (because following little creepie-crawlies is difficult when tripod mounted) and I would expect that IS (if it works well on the Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS macro lens) would be an asset. However, I am happy enough with my old and reliable Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Macro Lens and don't expect to invest in a new macro lens with IS capability...

I will often use my monopod to help support my camera/lens when doing bug macros. The monopod provides a steadier hold but, allows me the flexibility to move and follow my subjects...

BTW: Manu - great portrait of that fly!

Real Name
    Dan

To add to what Manu said, here is my understanding, some of which which someone at Canon told me is correct:

most forms of IS respond to angular movement, i.e., rotation. That is why some Canon lenses have a second IS mode for panning--it stops IS from responding to rotation on one plane. The effects of rotation are obviously larger at longer distances, and therefore, as Manu wrote, this form of IS is not very helpful at macro distances. I'm frankly surprised that Manu even gets one stop. I would have expected a trivial impact.

The only exception of which I am aware is the hybrid IS in the Canon 100m L macro, which also compensates for motion parallel to the sensor, which matters a great deal in macro work. One of my macro lenses is the 100L, and testing it informally when I first got it, I found I got about 1.5 stops. I think Canon advertises 2, which might be more accurate than my quickie trials. At long distances, of course, the impact is much greater.

Real Name
    Manu

Thanks Dan and Richard.

I should note that the combination I used did not have the benefit of stabilization, although I did shoot this hand-held at nearly 1-stop lower than would normally be recommended for the Focal Length on APS-c.