Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Concerthall stairs

Real Name
    David

Concerthall stairs

Trying resizing my images to post here as earlier attempts were massive.

This shot was taken in Glasgow outside the concert hall. The original in colour I felt had too many distractions, while the black and white allows the the stepping shapes of the various figures to be highlighted.

I like it but as ever all comments appreciated.

Concerthall stairs

Re: Concerthall stairs

I would prefer it without that out of focus figure in the bottom left corner.

Probably, I would try a bit of clone; crop; or a mixture of both.

Otherwise good, apart from a very slight bit of anti clockwise rotation to level up the verticals.

Real Name
    Tim

I agree with Geoff - the first thing I noticed in the image was the huge head in the lower left corner.

Real Name
    David

Thanks, I liked the botom figure as it continued the downward stepping effect. I was desappointed when finding out I'd cropped off part of her in camera and she was blurred as I think she was a nice part of the composition. Also Geoff noticed the slight slant in the back wall. Well its back to the drawing board. Thanks for taking the time to comment, appreciated .

If the bottom left figure was sharply focused, and we could see all of her face, then I agree that it would have produced a nice 'lead in' to the main subject.

But that is always the problem with these quick real life candid shots. All you can do is try, then do some editing to make the best of whatever you were able to capture.

Real Name
    David

Yes I agree Geoff. Trying to match my ideals with the quick shots is proving difficult. But need to keep trying.

With the large image sizes of modern cameras you can usually allow a bit of spare space around the edges at the time of shooting for any rotation or cropping that is needed during editing.

For example, here is a quick attempt at salvaging something from this shot. Maybe not ideally as planned; but I often find my quick first or last shots, or an unplanned version of editing actually works out better than my original intentions.

Concerthall stairs

Real Name
    David

Thanks Geoff, just need to try and take more care in future , aaagh story of my life, :-)

Real Name
    Greg

I really liked the first composition, David. Three young women arranged on the curve, each with their left hands raised, made an arresting pattern.

This revised version throws much more attention on the two guys in the poster. Well, seen.

Yes Greg, that was my thoughts about attempting to do something different with the original. The two guys, in the poster, seem to be looking directly at the girl so I did a little bit of selective brightness to make them slightly more obvious.