Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Reprocesed Reenactors

Real Name
    Richard

Reprocesed Reenactors

I reprocessed these images of reenactors at the Mexican-American War Battle of San Pasqual with my NIK Software Plug-Ins including Silver Efex Pro 2

Reprocesed Reenactors

Reprocesed Reenactors

Reprocesed Reenactors

Reprocesed Reenactors

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Reprocesed Reenactors

Richard, nice set of photos.

Bruce

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks, credit goes to the reenactors and my NIK Software... It is difficult not to reprocess every image I have and those which I see with NIK. It's that much fun with which to work. I have only been using it for a relatively short while and I am advancing in capability just about every day. If I had put as much effort and study into NIK as I have into the various Photoshop issues over the years, I would be a Photoshop Guru!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Excellent set, Richard. The processing is just right for each of them.

I agree with you as well about the NIK suite of software. What I'm finding is that I'm now in danger of losing all those basic skills that we've had drummed into us in the digital age (levels, curves, etc). It's all so much easier, more straightforward and, indeed, with the option of unlimited creative options, with the Nik tools.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, I think that the "basic skills" like "levels, curves, etc." are like a manual transmission for a vehicle...

While an expert driver can probably work more efficiently with a manual transmission, an automatic transmission will allow a less technically adept driver to concentrate on things like steering and vehicle speed, rather than worrying about a clutch and shifting gears. And that driver can very probably drive for the rest of his or her life without needing to learn how to use that clutch and shift gears manually...

On the other hand, it was not until I started driving a manual transmission (as with many of us old geezers, I began driving with a stick shift transmission) that I began to understand the concept of gear ratios. Until I started driving, at about 16 years old, I never really understood how to shift gears on my 3-speed bike efficiently. If I had a ten-speed or more complicated bike transmission, I would have been totally befuddled...

I like the subtle sepia looking tone of these images. It gives an "old-time" flavor to the set, even though, sepia was not a process used until later in the 19th Century. I also like the borders provided as a NIK preset...

IMO, the reason that, originally, NIK did not catch on as well has it has caught on lately is that the full NIK Suite was pretty darn expensive - especially in the version used with Photoshop as a host. Since Google purchased NIK and reduced the price to $150 USD for a version that can be hosted by Photoshop as well as other programs; many more photographers have been taking advantage of NIK. At least, lately, I tend to see many more postings regarding NIK...

I have a hunch that many Photoshop experts would have sung the praises of the capabilities of the NIK plug-ins, such as the U-Point Technology, if they had been introduced as part of "Photoshop CS7" rather than as plug-ins!

I am attending another of my favorite seminars on Photoshop soon. These are presented by a Photoshop Guru and author of a Photoshop book. I have learned a lot from this guy and he has influenced me to change my workflow. I am anxious to see what the general consensus regarding NIK is among the attendees who are pretty advanced photographers....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 22nd September 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Hey Richard!
    How are you doing?
    Nice set of portraits and yea, Silver Ex Pro is one nice s/w... And I agree with Donald & you on the ease of these softwares. Similarly thanks to Instagram and phone cameras, everyone is a COOL photographer now...

Real Name
    Steve

Very nice series. We'll done