Thread: D7000, D7100 or D7???

Real Name
    E. James

D7000, D7100 or D7???

I do not believe the D7100 has been received with the same enthusiasm as was the D7000. I would be interested in seeing sales figures but I suppose such statistics are not in the public domain. I have the D7000 and am very pleased with it. I like the DX format for certain situations but would also enjoy greater resolution. So the D7100 is tempting but not quite tempting enough to roll out the cash cow and milk her dry once again.

I want to see a D7400... It would have rugged construction, superior handling and environmental seals. It would have stunning low light capabilities, wireless features and 28 megapixels on a chip that has raised the bar for quality control. Am I mad?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

re: D7000, D7100 or D7???

Ed not completely mad. My guess is Nikon will pursue the low light capabilities and dynamic range performance more vigorously than worrying too much about upping the pixel count. You left out inbuilt GPS and USB3 connection.

I cannot offer any advice on when to upgrade as it took me 8 years before I did. (about half that time trying to convince my wife what a good idea it would be)

Real Name
    John

I upgraded Ed and found it worth while. However, I guess it would depend on the sort of photography that you do. I have wide interests but it includes natural history and motor sport, both of which ideally (I stress the ideally) need very long lenses which I can't afford. However, I've found that the extra pixel count of the 7100 and a bit of gentle sharpening allows me to crop an image more and still retain a reasonable level of quality. It also seems to allow good lenses to show their full potential. It was a way for me to achieve a step up in quality without going FF with the attendant additional cost of upgrading my DX lenses. Having said that, the 7000 is no mean performer. Have a look at some of Joes wild life pics.

Real Name
    Jim Singler

I've had the 7000 for 3 years and thought I was happy with the DX format until I got a D600 in May. Bought it with the knowledge that I could return it if I didn't like it. I love it. It loves FX glass, so there was some expense involved in selling off some DX lenses and getting FX replacements. Now I have the best of both worlds (or maybe I would if I had a 600 and a 7100). FX for IQ and DX for reach.