Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon T1i raw files to HDR in Photoshop

Canon T1i raw files to HDR in Photoshop

Raw files from a Canon T1i will not merge into HDR with Photoshop. Does anyone have assistance to offer. Raw files from a Canon Xti will merge, Canon T1i JPEG files will; converted files from T1i will not either.

I've looked for Adobe support and for Canon support on this issue but cannot find anything.

any assistance will be appreciated.

Real Name
    Will

Re: Canon T1i raw files to HDR in Photoshop

does it play nicely with RAW images otherwise? if not then you may need to update ACR to get it to recognise them properly.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by daughertyp View Post
    Raw files from a Canon T1i will not merge into HDR with Photoshop. Does anyone have assistance to offer.
    Can you open the RAW files individually in Photoshop? What version of Photoshop are you using?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by wjh31 View Post
    does it play nicely with RAW images otherwise? if not then you may need to update ACR to get it to recognise them properly.
    Hi daughertyp (! )

Will has almost certainly hit the nail on the head.

A look at this page
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html reveals that for Canon T1i, you will need ACR 5.4 (or later).

You need to find a way to get ACR to open (if you have an older RAW file that'll do), then look in the top left corner, on the title bar, and it will say what version you have.

Then follow the link to the Camera Raw page;
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html and depending what software and computer you have, follow one of the four links to another page and so on.

If you have trouble, tell us what computer you have (Windows or Mac) and what Adobe product you have; Lightroom 2.x, Photoshop Elements 6/7/8 or Photoshop CS 2/3/4. If you don't have one of these 7 versions, there could be a problem.

A first name would be nice, given your rather unusual username* , thanks.
    * I hope that isn't your name, or I will have 'put my foot in it' again

Good luck,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 6th January 2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh31 View Post
    I'm using ACR 5.6 and Photoshop CS4 with the Canon T1i CR2 files. HDR merge seems to be working at first, but then fails.

Yes, Photoshop opens the raw files normally.

Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Can you open the RAW files individually in Photoshop? What version of Photoshop are you using?
    Yes, Photoshop opens the raw files normally.
    I'm using ACR 5.6 and Photoshop CS4 with the Canon T1i CR2 files. HDR merge seems to be working at first, but then fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi daughertyp (! )

Will has almost certainly hit the nail on the head.

A look at this page
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html reveals that for Canon T1i, you will need ACR 5.4 (or later).

You need to find a way to get ACR to open (if you have an older RAW file that'll do), then look in the top left corner, on the title bar, and it will say what version you have.

Then follow the link to the Camera Raw page;
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html and depending what software and computer you have, follow one of the four links to another page and so on.

If you have trouble, tell us what computer you have (Windows or Mac) and what Adobe product you have; Lightroom 2.x, Photoshop Elements 6/7/8 or Photoshop CS 2/3/4. If you don't have one of these 7 versions, there could be a problem.

A first name would be nice, given your rather unusual username* , thanks.
    * I hope that isn't your name, or I will have 'put my foot in it' again

Good luck,
    I'm using Photoshop CS4 with the 11.0.1 update. I have a Vista OS on a Dell, Studio XPS with 4G Ram. the merge seems to be working and the files appear in the 'layers' panel as they are being merged, then everything disappears.

any other ideas?

Real Name

~ the merge seems to be working and the files appear in the 'layers' panel as they are being merged, then everything disappears.

any other ideas?
    I'm afraid not; you have moved beyond my experience (and software), so I cannot even offer to replicate.

Sorry,

Real Name

Does the problem occur with EVERY set of images?

Yes, every set of images that I've tried that were taken with the Canon T1i/500D. Images taken with the Canon Xti/450D will merge in HDR.

My next step is to uninstall Photoshop so that i can uninstall the ACR 5.6. When i install ACR again, i will install ACR 5.4. This version is listed specifically for the Canon T1i. I hoping that maybe the ACR 5.6 is the culprit.

what do you think?

Patsy D.

Oh my word! Your photography is breathtaking! Oh my goodness!

http://pbase.com/cjsouthern

Real Name

Oh my word! Your photography is breathtaking! Oh my goodness!

http://pbase.com/cjsouthern
    Hi Patsy,

Thanks No - I live in Nelson - top 1/2 of the South Island (or the "mainland" as we like to call it ).

I suspect that the issue you're having is something to do with Photoshop - if you like, you can send me a set of files and I'll try it on my copy of CS4 for you (you can send files of any size using a free account at www.sendthisfile.com). Hope this helps

Real Name

Yes, every set of images that I've tried that were taken with the Canon T1i/500D. Images taken with the Canon Xti/450D will merge in HDR.

My next step is to uninstall Photoshop so that i can uninstall the ACR 5.6. When i install ACR again, i will install ACR 5.4. This version is listed specifically for the Canon T1i. I hoping that maybe the ACR 5.6 is the culprit.

what do you think?

Patsy D.
    Hi Patsy,

That sounds like a lot of work

If, when you did the upgrade to ACR5.6 you followed the instructions

You should still have a copy of the previous acr version's camera file available and a simple job of renaming/moving would get you back to 5.4.

That said, I would be pretty surprised if it were this.
    The Canon T1i will (ok should) be in 5.6, all they do is add newer models.

Given that, from a previous answer, you get to layer panels, you have moved beyond ACR anyway and are in CS4. I have to say I don't fully understand when exactly CS4 (or Elements) stops going back to the CR2 and sidecar files and thinks of it as a psd or tif, perhaps if you Saved As, before the HDR merge, it would encourage that.

I'm clutching at straws and they are little use to a drowning person either
    Silly humour, just ignore me.

Cheers,

I'm not sure i did this correctly, but i sent 3 separate files to your address.
    thank you for your assistance.

I don't know anyone else who uses CS4
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 11th January 2010 at 06:00 AM.

i have opened CR2 files and saved them as .psd and .jpeg. and .tif
    but this doesn't work. Any of these file formats converted from another CR2 orginated from another camera works. the CR2 from another camera will merge to HDR.

Real Name

Hi Patsy,

Got your files thanks - they worked just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Patsy,

Got your files thanks - they worked just fine for me.

Could I bother you one more time?
    Since last post, I've returned home and pulled out my licensed DVD of Photoshop CS4. I uninstalled all of CS4, ran a registry sweep and reinstalled CS4. I then merged 3 files (Canon T1i) to HDR and 'whala' it worked! I thought the problem was solved, but a 2nd merge to hdr returned nothing. Again, these are files from a Canon T1i; files from other cameras merge fine.

Would you merge to HDR again the files i sent to you before?