Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Simple Image Database with Metadata extraction ?

Real Name
    Tim Makins

Simple Image Database with Metadata extraction ?

Hi - many people use Lightroom to manage their image collection, but this is an expensive program and may be 'over the top' for many people's needs.

A basic database with search facilities that can catalog location, description, and keywords would be sufficient for many people. The ability to extract existing metadata from image folders (perhaps based on ExifTool) would also be important.

My question: does anyone know if such a simple system already exists? One of the users of my Keyword Catalog wanted to know about a simple system for people who don't feel confident to create their own database etc, and scratching my head, I couldn't think of something suitable. Do you ?

Regards, Tim Makins, currently photographing in Armenia

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Simple Image Database with Metadata extraction ?

I highly recommend IDimager's PhotoSupreme with two caveats.

The first caveat is that though I self-published an eBook explaining how to use its predecessor called IDimager Version 5, I have not used PhotoSupreme. Even so, I have read every post written in its support forum and PhotoSupreme has a reputation for being simpler by design than its predecessor. A good friend who contributed the most to the beta testing of the product and uses it daily agrees with its reputation for improved simplicity.

Having said that, my second caveat is that I believe the term, "simple cataloging software," is an oxymoron. I don't believe it's possible to develop a complete DAM product (I wouldn't include Lightroom in that category) that is simple.

Real Name
    Tim Makins

Thanks for the info, Mike. Unfortunately that software won't run on Win XP, which I still use, but I will check it out when I finally move to a more advanced OS.

Yes you are quite right - a complete DAM product is unlikely to be siimple. My premise is that a complete DAM product is not always needed. A database that contains filename, description, location, and keywords would be enough for many people who just want to be able to find a photo in their library. Assuming they have been tagging images whilst converting from RAW, then a scan by ExifTool would get you started by populating the database automatically. The thing is, even setting up a simple data base is frightening for some people. On the basis of 'don't re-invent the wheel', I thought I'd check with this knowldegable group first to see what was already available.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Hi Tim,

Ah use 2 simple image organisers...Zoner Photo Studio and Picasa (XP3). They're more than adequate for me as ah don't have a problem switching from Gimp or any other PP software after working on images. Both Picasa and Zoner update the finished image in their respective databases anyway.

Picasa uses Webalbums for GPS etc. - Zoner, from the program. At present ah use the free version of Zoner Studio 15 - no raw, but there are always very good special offers on Zoner paid-for, (includes raw conversion and several other fairly sophisticated apps) @£45, usually, think it's about £75 full price. Planning tae upgrade to a paid-for version. Ah think there's a Zoner 16 in the next couple of months.

http://www.zoner.com/en/spectacular-free-photo-editor

http://picasa.google.com/

A few screenshots...

[IMG]Simple Image Database with Metadata extraction ?[/IMG]

Ye have tae do almost all insertions in Picasa manually (apart from download from camera - they're sorted automatically), eg GPS location in Webalbums (after all, it's free!) but it's still, probably the best freeware image app. Zoner is more sophisticated and aids workflow better but ah like both, having used them for years. Ah see no point in paying £400 +, unless yer a pro or semi-pro. Rather spend that money on a holiday, Guinness or film and old cameras/lenses.
    Last edited by tao2; 15th September 2013 at 04:15 PM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I don't know how much I have paid for my system as it came with Windows ... first it was called Directory and currently Windows Explorer in my XP ... have no intention of moving to later versions. True it doesn't have search function but that is one of the things I use my memory for. I used to use Irfanview Thumbnails to visually search but with a later version of my editor I have a search function so Irfanview is on the back burner these days. I'm using Paint Shop Pro14 or X4 and have X6 but yet to get to grips with it.
    A filing system is basically common sense organisation of what you shoot as it relates to you and understanding the principle of folders and sub folders when the first are likely to get too big and unwieldy.