Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Celtic Cross

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Celtic Cross

Another from today's adventure when the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 got its first outing (with a nod of thanks to John's Frost thread for showing me what options there might be - although he does it better!).

The Celtic Cross
    40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8@11mm. 1/30@f11. ISO100. Manual, Spot Metering
    Last edited by Donald; 12th July 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Re: The Celtic Cross

I think the extreme contrast is appropriate in this shot. Well realized.

Donald I have had a play with your photo Celtic Cross I was trying to bring out some of the detail in the snow, sky and shadows. If you don't want your photos edited by others please let me know and I will remove it. The way I did it was to duplicate the layer and convert to soft light
    then inverted the layer, flattened the image and repeated the previous steps this will give you a flat looking image after that just selective curves to bring out the parts you require

The Celtic Cross

John

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John

Have just seen this on my Tablet PC at work, which is not geared up to view images on this forum. So can't comment on the result. Will see it on my home screen later on and get back to you. Very happy for you to have done this. All constructive thoughts, ideas, etc (such as this) gratefully received.

Donald

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

John
    Back home and now able to see your version properly. You're right - having some detail, particularly in the sky, is a better way to go.

The way I did it was to duplicate the layer and convert to soft light then inverted the layer, flattened the image.....
    Okay with you so far.
    .... and repeated the previous steps this will give you a flat looking image ...
    Understand that ... but not the 'why' of it. Why do you decide that repeating the previous step is advantageous?
    after that just selective curves to bring out the parts you require
    Yep, that makes sense.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Reveals my lack of knowledge about what can be done with software. But that's another process logged in the memory banks (also known as my notes that I keep to hand).

HI Donald

the reason I did the duplicate,convert to soft light,invert and flattened the second time was just to extract a little more info.

john