Thread: Grasshopper inside a Glass

Real Name
    Christina

Grasshopper inside a Glass

I'm posting these just for fun and simply as an idea to share with others. I admire Mike Buckley's glass photos so I thought I would experiment so I placed this grasshopper/cricket in a glass which I placed on a glass table by a window...

I gave up on getting the reflection in the table and just focused on the critter in the glass (not easy), so I needed to use a small aperture.. I didn't notice that the glass could've used a good washing or my fingerprints on the glass until after the fact... I had great plans to photograph just the cricket/grasshopper outside of his glass cage but he flew out the window as soon as I lifted the cover on the glass.

These are just for fun, so I don't wish to have a critique but if anything to share about how to photograph glass objects in outdoor light I would be most interested in hearing about that. I quite liked the effect of the sunlight inside the glass.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Grasshopper inside a Glass

I like the second one, Christina. I find the crossed diagonals of the grasshopper against the background appealing

Real Name
    Christina

Let's hope Mikey likes it, too.... It should be a fish not a grasshopper but I had to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I like the second one, Christina. I find the crossed diagonals of the grasshopper against the background appealing

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

If the intent is to show the grasshopper in a glass, the first one works by far the best for me because that context is immediately obvious to me only in that photo. Regardless, the first one is also my favorite because I prefer its composition and depth of field. Well done, especially as a first attempt.

Real Name
    Christina

The intent was to present an idea and for me to try something new. I started out with the intent of just trying to capture the grasshopper inside the glass but as is natural for me I became focused on trying to capture the beauty and detail of the grasshopper.

In hindsight, a photograph of the grasshopper outside of the glass would be far better, or perhaps with a piece of glass behind it to catch the light and colours but how one would manage to get the grasshopper to stay in one place, well...

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    If the intent is to show the grasshopper in a glass, the first one works by far the best for me because that context is immediately obvious to me only in that photo. Regardless, the first one is also my favorite because I prefer its composition and depth of field. Well done, especially as a first attempt.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Christina, ma petite Cherie...may I suggest you visit your local framing shop and pick up a piece of
    museum quality glass, bait the bug with a drop of honey and shoot through the glass.

Real Name
    Christina

Chauncey, mon petit Cheri...

Great idea. I will look for a piece of museum quality glass, and bait a bug with some honey...

Thank you for sharing. I don't think I would've even thought of it. Truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Christina, ma petite Cherie...may I suggest you visit your local framing shop and pick up a piece of
    museum quality glass, bait the bug with a drop of honey and shoot through the glass.