Thread: Off the Bend

Real Name
    John

Off the Bend

I made the point in another post earlier today that these sort of shots are better wen you can see the riders eyes. These were the two images under discussion when I was given that advise by a photographer that does a lot of this sort of photography. I decided he was right but I would be interested if others agree. Both shots are panned. I was trying to determine which shutter speed gave the right combination of sharpness and blurred BG.

1/100th sec @f13 ISO200
    Off the Bend

1/200th @ f13 ISO 200
    Off the Bend

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Off the Bend

Hi John

They both look good to me but I probably do prefer the first. I've never done anything like this before but it seems to me you've mastered the art of panning pretty well. The shutter speeds you've used seem to give a good balance between sharpness of the bikes and motion blur of the background. The shots really do give a good impression of speed.

I'm inspired, I'm going to have to try this sometime !

Dave

PS : Did you fire off several shots whilst panning and also did you use any aid such as a monopod ? Was image stabilization on or off ?
    Last edited by dje; 3rd September 2013 at 03:18 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Great captures...

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Well done John, very nice.
    The riders eyes behind a visor???? I don't know if I can with that.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Awesome! Great shots!

Yes. you did get the rider's eyes in #01.
    Unfortunately, the 2nd had a dark visor.

Can you post photos with them entering or at the apex of the bend.
    From the front.

Thanks

( btw, what/where races were they? )
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 3rd September 2013 at 10:37 AM.

Real Name
    Christina

Amazing images...

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Nicely done John.

Super images, visible eyes with a good pan and nice motion blur, what more could you want.

While I prefer my motorsport on four wheels rather than two the principles are much the same and I'm in agreement that being able to see the eyes really does add something.

When shooting BTCC and GT events I try to get positioned so you can see drivers eyeing each other up on their way into a corner side by side, or checking their mirrors for a late lunge up the inside.

I don't know how you found it with the bikes but when shooting cars (through a windscreen and under the shadow of a roof) it's pretty much impossible if the weather doesn't play ball. You have to have some sun but it also needs to be low enough to light up the interior of the cars. But it's worth the effort and it's a good excuse for staying until the last lap of the last race of the day

Cheers,
    Ady

Real Name
    John

Thanks all for all of the comments.

Dave, I'm no master of panning. I think I made some 100+ images that afternoon of which only a handful were worthwhile. And that despite the fact that I was shooting at 6 frames per sec. most of the time. The one thing I did learn however, was that in trying to follow the front end of a bike, I end up with the subject too far into the frame leaving not enough room in front of it. I found it better to pan from behind and catch the subject up. May just be me.

Victor, I do have some images of riders on the apex of the bend and I will post them at some stage. If you can't get access to the inside of the track, it's one of the better viewpoints. These were taken at a local club event at a track called Three Sisters.

Adrian, that is a very valuable insight that only comes from experience. I have tried shooting cars and penetrating the windscreen in bright light is almost impossible. Where there is detail, reflections spoil the image. Waiting for side lighting is clearly the answer. Thanks for passing that bit of wisdom on.

Real Name
    Bruce

John, to answer your question: I am of the opinion that #2 lent more to sharpness, and a more blurred BG.

Bruce

Real Name
    John

Thanks for the comment Bruce. More sharpness is probably down to shutter speed. BG blur is probably due to the fact that it is more of a side on view than the first. I prefer the first because the 3/4 view makes for a better comp but inevitably the camera is panning more slowly at that point.