Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7D died on first day of vacation

Canon 7D died on first day of vacation

Last year I bought a refurbished 7D right after Thanksgiving.... I have loved it and used it quite a lot. We went to the Oregon coast for a much needed vacation. First day out disaster struck. My 7D just quit....The only signs of life were a dead battery icon blinking on the top panel. I changed ALL batteries nothing changed. Fortunately, I had my Rebel with me because DH is showing some interest in photography. So most of my trip was shot with my Rebel.

When I got home I was half sick when I called Canon, because when I bought the camera @ a special price on the day after Thanksgiving... It had a 90 day warranty. What I found out was that Canon now offers 1 year warranties on the refurbs and my camera is covered..... I was SO happy. I sent it to them and Friday received confirmation that they had received it.... I can hardly wait to get it back. It was hard going back to the rebel for a few reasons.. and now I am thinking I might want to get a second 7D to back up....

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Canon 7D died on first day of vacation

I have a second 7D. I almost always shoot with a pair pf cameras however, like you and your Rebel; I usually shot with two different generations of camera until I found the 7D and liked that camera so much that I purchased a second 7D. At my advanced age, I think that these two cameras will last me for the rest of my life.

I did not know however, that Canon had extended the warranty on refurbished units. Is there a charge for this extension?

However, whether you shoot with two cameras of the same generation or carry a couple of generations different cameras, your problem on vacation illustrates how important a second camera can be on a trip. When I was shooting with the 30D and 40D cameras, I fell on a slope in Alaska, breaking the 40D. My 30D saved the trip photographically for me...

Real Name
    Martin

Having your prime camera die on you the first day out really stinks, but at least you had a backup.

The more I read others posts the more I realize the wisdom of carrying a second camera when on vacation. I managed to drop my K-30 onto a concrete sidewalk (during this summer's trip to Germany) when my back pack opened up unexpectedly... ok... I admit it...I didn't do up the zips properly. The camera/lens survived, albeit with a few scuffs here and there, but at the time mid way through the trip I was thankful I'd brought along a second camera.

My little Panasonic waterproof P+S not withstanding, I've been carrying a Panasonic FZ200 as a "backup" to my K-30. I'm not sure what I'll do next time around (late October...New York) now that I've picked up a second K-30 body on "clearance."

Please let us know what the problem with your camera was... it's always interesting to hear what went wrong.

Richard, when buying a refurbished camera from Canon the warranties were 90 days originally.... but Canon has changed that now to be 1 year... no extra cost... that was the only thing that bothered me about buying a refurbished camera, I figured it should have at least a year warranty and now they do... I would not think twice about buying another refurbished camera and probably will as soon as the pocketbook allows....

Martin, I am glad your camera survived its wild ride... that is something that always worries me... I will post again when I find out what happened...:>

Real Name
    John

Lucky you.

John I was VERY lucky because when I bought my 7D, the day after Thanksgiving last year.. they were still advertising 90 days... it was shortly after that they changed... When I called in and he told me that the camera was covered I did shed a happy tear, because I truly did not know how I would afford to fix it if it cost much over $100. Its been one of those kinds of summers.... :>