Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for?

Real Name
    wm c boyer

What do you look for?

When you judge a competition, here or in other competitions, what is your criteria/what
    are you looking for in those images? Assuming there is no assigned theme

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: What do you look for?

If the image were printed / framed and put in an appropriate place to sell, which one(s) would be most likely to sell, taking into account the subject & quality of the image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I look first for an image that moves me and then whether it is technically superior. I realize that that instantaneously rules out the types of images (landscape, portrait, abstract, etc.) that, no matter how perfectly executed, would not move me. As an example, I rarely get excited about an image of a bird in flight, so it's doubtful that I would ever vote for such an image.

When there are no restrictions of a particular competition regarding the type of image, that's how it is for me. If, as an example, a particular competition was provided only for birds in flight, I simply wouldn't vote.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Someone once said that if ya wanna take pretty pictures, ya gotta start with a pretty subject.
    I would hang a picture of a pretty lady/eagle in flight/gymnast or anything graceful before
    that of a grungy looking tractor in the field.

On the other hand, I was always under the impression that a true artist had the ability to show
    the beauty in the most mundane of subjects...suffice to say that it's an ability that escapes me.

In addition to being a hangable/salable, can I live with that image on my desktop day after day.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

I look first for an image that moves me and then whether it is technically superior. .....
    I agree with Mike . i.e. on his opening statement. To add, an image pleasant to look at.

( If it's a story, I like happy endings...... )

The concepts of "pretty" and "pleasing" images, at least as I understand their meaning, are not taken into account when I'm judging images. That explains why I left it that the image only has to move me. As an example, documentary images of people working in slave conditions or of people who have been brutally slain on the field of battle are neither pretty nor pleasing. Even so, when made well, such photos are definitely moving.

Real Name
    Jeff

I agree with Mike except that I reverse the order. I look for technical excellence first, then whether the photograph moves or inspires me. If none of them move or inspire me I will still vote for technical excellence because that, alone, can be elusive. On the other hand, it is tough to be inspired or be moved if the photo lacks technical merit.

I also like something out of the ordinary. After a while, birds in flight, puppies, children, and bugs on bushes don't seem particularly inspiring to me (as a matter of personal preference)...unless the bokeh is very fine or some other way of presenting them is novel. Doing something out of the ordinary is tough because it seems that nearly everything has already been done a thousand times. At least if it is technically superior I can appreciate the photograph and the effort that went into it, especially when I know I couldn't do the same thing half as well, and I will vote for it. (For example, recently I voted for a terrific photo of someone's dog, but it was technically superior in every way.) As a general rule, I prefer landscapes because most places are relatively unique...but I still want it done with technical excellence.

Now that I have seen Jeff's comment, I realize that I need to clarify mine. I look first to be moved and I look second for technical superiority. However, I won't vote for an image that doesn't have both characteristics, at least not here at CiC. That's because the collection of images in a monthly contest (I don't vote in the other contests) always has at least one image that meets those criteria.

The reason I look first to be moved is because I will like an image that moves me even though it is lacking technical superiority more than I will like an image that has technical superiority that doesn't move me.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

If the image were printed / framed and put in an appropriate place to sell, which one(s) would be most likely to sell, taking into account the subject & quality of the image.
    I still tend to agree with Colin...especially if it stands up to my viewing distance, governed by the length of my nose, requirement. Which is evidence of, the afore mentioned, technical expertise.

Real Name
    Venser

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The reason I look first to be moved is because I will like an image that moves me even though it is lacking technical superiority more than I will like an image that has technical superiority that doesn't move me.
    I belong to a number of website with anonymous voting where the votes tallied are displayed only after the voting period is over. Some members have a difficult time with low votes on their technically flawless images, but I vote along your criteria. If the image doesn't move me, I push it to the bottom.

Real Name
    Andrew

Maybe I'm the odd one out? I try to keep judging as objective as objective can be for such a subjective topic.

I can't see the benefit of voting for a single image over others just because it's something that may appeal to me. But I'm by no means a professional, and have never taken any form of formal training to do something as critical as judge photos, which is why I'm often quite nervous to do so - even on mini-comps.

If it's out of focus, or has some major flaws (that are of course subjective to me), then it's a no-vote in my books. But, judging (no pun intended) by the other comments here, I may not be going about this correctly!

Real Name
    Dan

Speaking only to the open themed competitions here on CIC, similar to prior posters, as a first cut I simply look for images that grab my attention. Assuming there are more than one, I then look more closely for technical execution, etc. If none of them grab my attention/"move me", I don't vote. Not voting may not be fair but without criteria I don't know what else to do

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Speaking only to the open themed competitions here on CIC, similar to prior posters, as a first cut I simply look for images that grab my attention.
    Starting to look more, and more like I AM doing this all wrong. I'm going to do a little research to see if I can't find out some guidelines as to judging photography. I will also refrain from voting on mini-comps until I reach a conclusion!

Interesting.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Starting to look more, and more like I AM doing this all wrong....
    That's not possible. It's not math or physics

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

For me it's all about the aesthetic, which makes it a purely personal and subjective decision.

Something that did cause me to stop and think though was Andrews comment about finding some guidelines regarding the judging of photography. I hadn't considered my voting in the comps as an act of 'judging photography', but simply stating a personal preference for the aesthetic of one image over another.

Technical execution only becomes a factor if it gets in the way of the aesthetic, though that's not to say 'good' technique will always win over 'poor'. Though it is rare I have enjoyed images where the aesthetic qualities that have grabbed me have been enhanced by (or are even a result of) poor lighting/out of focus/inappropriate framing.

Should I be more analytical? Should I be judging subject choice, framing and technical execution? I don't know the answer so for now I'll stick to picking my favourites based purely on subjective appeal, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any consensus is reached.

Cheers,
    Ady

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I watched a tutorial one time, the photographers name escapes me, who invited his clients to examine
    his prints up close and personal. It kinda stuck with me.
    His mantra was that it takes both, technical precision and the emotional gotcha.

All I know is...were I a judge at a show, the words "proper viewing distance" would go out the window.

Real Name
    Christina

For me, it' everything, ie technical execution, the moment/emotional gotcha, creativity and light... If find it very challenging to pick just one photo in the monthly because so many of the entries have all of the above... But likely when it comes down to the final decision I end up voting for the photo that captures my heart...

April 2013 comes to mind as I wanted to vote for several photos but in the end I voted for Eduard's image of the two little boys playing chess because it captured my heart. It's never an easy decision.

Photo Competition for April 2013 - THE RESULT

Real Name
    Peter

There should never be any guidelines to judge a photo, It should be completely at each individual judges discretion as to what they find pleasing in a photo, I like a photo that has plenty of colour, and is of an interesting (to me) subject, I am not overly carried away by composition as I do not know what the creator of the particular photo was aiming for.
    Peter

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Poider View Post
    There should never be any guidelines to judge a photo, It should be completely at each individual judges discretion as to what they find pleasing in a photo....
    Regardless of what the correct answer is, or if there even is a correct answer, I hope it's not that. Otherwise, what would be the point of having a contest?? I'm not suggesting that a judge's opinion and personal preference shouldn't weigh in, and I have yet to read anything that suggests it shouldn't /doesn't, but come on. If techniques and rules aren't used as criteria for judging, then it is no longer a competition, but a contest to see which judges happen to be present that day. And if the contest is for money, or some other form of prize, well that just wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Would you really choose the winner of a figure skating competition, or an Olympic gymnastics event because they had colourful costumes, and picked a song that happens to be your favourite that week?

As for the mini comps here on this site, there probably is no correct answer, and if people are comfortable voting for the one that makes them feel the fuzziest, that's fine, and I think it's great! But I took the OP's questions to be a little broader than just the mini comps. In fact I would be pretty shattered to find out that some big name competition's criteria for winning is not accounting for technical excellence.

All that being said, I don't enter big name competitions, so why should I care, right!?!?
    Last edited by Andrew76; 5th September 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Poor punctuation

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Poider View Post
    There should never be any guidelines to judge a photo, It should be completely at each individual judges discretion as to what they find pleasing in a photo,
    Peter
    Fantastic??!!

The way I understand it, most competitions have criteria upon which designated judges base their decision on.

The idea is to make the final decision as objective and as fair as possible to the competitors and audience.
    Not left to the whims of a judge.

There should never be any guidelines to judge a photo
    So, we do away with the technical aspects of a photo?

However, that is his opinion/belief, so as Voltaire said which goes something like ...
    .....................I may not believe in what you say, but I will defend your right to say it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast