Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Time lapse software

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Time lapse software

Does anyone know of any free software for timelapse? It's for a one off project, so I've got a case of the Scrooge. I've done the usual google and come up with the usual rubbish which either just won't work at all or just crashes half way through.

I need something tried and trusted by one of the esteemed members to recommend from (hopefully) your own experience.

I'll be taking photos of plant growth over a (yet to be determined) period of time (obviously)

It's for a project called The Biospheric Foundation which has just recently started up, literally, on my doorstep.

Any help, as always, is seriously appreciated

Cheers,

Note to moderators; I tried to add some tags to this thread; Software, Freeware, Shareware, and it won't let me. This has happened a few times and I think as the site has grown some (a lot) more tags should be added to the cloud as I've tried searching for things in the past using tags and they just don't come up for this very reason. Not moaning, just thinking of other people's searches,

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Time lapse software

Not sure if you are looking for camera triggering or pp/presentation software. Would be useful if you define the the functions being looked for a little bit.

Real Name
    Kathy

If you just want to combine the frames together into a video clip, I've used the open source (free) cgi/modeling/animation tool, Blender, to do this. Here's a tutorial: http://www.blendernerd.com/tip-how-t...-video-format/

Real Name
    Greg

Hi Mark,
    I had a similar thread a few weeks ago.
    Time-Lapse photography

If you read through it there are some very helpful advice and links in there.
    Kathy told me about Trigger Trap in her post and I have downloaded the app and the dongle and cable arrived yesterday so I'm going to try it all out tomorrow.

As for software to put it all together, Haseeb suggested Startrails http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html.
    This is a pc application and as I use Mac OS. I found Starstax http://www.markus-enzweiler.de/software/software.html.

I haven't tried it out yet, I will let you know how it goes.
    Good luck with it all.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Thanks guys,

- L. Paul. Sorry. Software for putting captured images into movie clips.

- Kathy. Yeah, I looked at that one. Is there a way to change the frame rate? It seems a bit complicated too but there does seem to be quite a large support community. Will look into this further, thank you,

- Greg. Thanks mate. I've got this one up and running and it's looking pretty good. Just rendered 458 jpegs in four minutes into a quite smooth transition. Top stuff.

Thanks again guys,

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    - Kathy. Yeah, I looked at that one. Is there a way to change the frame rate?
    Yes. The setting is in the dimensions pane. Finding it, that's the hard part with Blender. It has one of the WEIRDEST/most complex UIs I've ever run across. Then again, given the tasks it's built for, that's kind of a given.

BTW, even though it looks like a pulldown with presets, you can select "custom", and enter a numeric value for the frame rate you want. How it plays back, however, can get funky depending on how the frames are to be interpolated/dropped.

Using Blender for this task is probably overkill. It's just what I happened to have on hand at the time.
    Last edited by inkista; 16th August 2013 at 07:32 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Kathy,

Just had a look at the Blender website. :O

I think it's a case of "sledgehammer to crack a nut".

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Just had a look at the Blender website. :O

I think it's a case of "sledgehammer to crack a nut".
    Ho-yeah. But at least the nut poses no challenge.