Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: B&W contest/photo requirements?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Donald, here is a question for you and anybody else in the know of the requirements for B&W contests. Here is the situation: I have the opportunity of entering a big photo contest and 2 photos are required, one colour and one black and white. I am aware that every judges must have their own criteria of judging. What I would like to know is what you look for in a picture to determine that a B&W is a good picture or not? Are there certain subject that are better than others? Any comments could be helpful as it is not really what I usually shoot.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    19,064

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    I recommend reviewing past winners of the competition and the photos made by the judges to determine what they will probably look for.

  3. #3
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Mike beat me to it.

    No judging is objective. The likes/dislikes, preferences, etc of the judges must inevitably play a part. Subjectivity is part of the package.

    All you can do is get the best image that you think you can produce and throw it into the ring. For the purposes of B & W just keep thinking - Line; Shape; Tone; Texture.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mike beat me to it.

    No judging is objective. The likes/dislikes, preferences, etc of the judges must inevitably play a part. Subjectivity is part of the package.

    All you can do is get the best image that you think you can produce and throw it into the ring. For the purposes of B & W just keep thinking - Line; Shape; Tone; Texture.
    Thanks Donald and Mike. I had a quick look at their results and architecture and clean line seems to be in the first one. Humm, I have some work to do it seems!

  5. #5
    pnodrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Waipu, Northand, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,500
    Real Name
    Paul

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    One of our club members has written a programme that scans Jpeg files to check that they are only made up of monochromatic tones. The tones do not need to be just black and white but the colour ballance within the all tones must remain within a set tolerance. It has stopped a lot of arguments.

  6. #6
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    13,302
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    At the risk of repeating the information of the above posts, let me provide some insight...

    I would if possible, peruse past winners of the contest. This will give you an insight as to what the judges like in images. Of course, this tip would only if the present judges are the same as those in the past! However, even if the judges are not the same, there may be a history of those images which have been preferred in the past...

    If I were desiring to get images published on a magazine, I would peruse old issues to the magazine to see what types the magazine prefers to publish...

    If I wanted to shoot weddings commercially, I would peruse LOCAL top-rated wedding photographers to see what type of images and style of photography is popular in the area in which you hope to work...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Do you take the picture in B&W directly from the camera choosing B&W in the camera setting or do you take a picture in regular setting and then transform in B&W in post production? I have a Sony a77v.
    Thank you to everyone response, it is all very helpful. I am now considering architecture photography. Ay insight on what lens to favour? All comments are appreciated.

  8. #8
    AgfaB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    36
    Real Name
    Wolf

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    One of our club members has written a programme that scans Jpeg files to check that they are only made up of monochromatic tones. The tones do not need to be just black and white but the colour ballance within the all tones must remain within a set tolerance. It has stopped a lot of arguments.
    What's that in aid of, then?

  9. #9
    dubaiphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,851
    Real Name
    Phil Page

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by wlou View Post
    Do you take the picture in B&W directly from the camera choosing B&W in the camera setting or do you take a picture in regular setting and then transform in B&W in post production? I have a Sony a77v.
    Thank you to everyone response, it is all very helpful. I am now considering architecture photography. Ay insight on what lens to favour? All comments are appreciated.
    Colour first, all the time, for me. Shooting .jpg + RAW gives you the opportunity to see a basic B&W on the LCD at the time of capture, to see if the composition works in B&W. You then have the colour RAW to edit with later.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Québec,Canada
    Posts
    696
    Real Name
    Louise

    Re: B&W contest/photo requirements?

    Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Colour first, all the time, for me. Shooting .jpg + RAW gives you the opportunity to see a basic B&W on the LCD at the time of capture, to see if the composition works in B&W. You then have the colour RAW to edit with later.
    Phil, good idea. Of course we have the technology to do that. I usually shoot in RAW, .jpg + RAW would give me more flexibility. I did not realize that I could get too different version i.e. colour and B&W at the same time. Thank you, very helpful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •