Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: South Haven Mill

Real Name
    randy

South Haven Mill

My intention, today, was to shoot some white pelicans. Although there were a number of sightings, they were all too far out for a decent image. Instead, I visited an old mill ( circa 1880). The weather is unseasonably cool for mid-summer with temperatures around 70 F, I'll suffer through it

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill

Don't worry, Joe.....I'll let you have your birds back when done.... in a couple months
    Last edited by rtbaum; 29th July 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: South Haven Mill

Randy very nice critter shoots, the old mill was a hard shot as the sun was almost over head as by the shadows. I would suggest from my point of view to bring back the exposure 1/2 to 1 stop, maybe use a curves layer to darken the shadow areas, and possibly remove a little yellow as the leaves on the plants I feel are too yellow. Sometime a CP-Filter can help, this is because leaves have a waxy surface and with strong light will give off a glare as these do.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Randy,

My thoughts are much in accordance with Allan's, especially on the Mill.

All except #3 (my favourite) have too elevated a black point, the histogram doesn't show any significant image detail for between 10 and 20 levels on many of the others.

To improve #3 further, if you believe this kind of thing is acceptable, you could clone out three or four things to improve the image. In order of significance, I am thinking of; the bright blue bit on left edge, the bright yellow bit on right lower quarter line, the yellow bit on extreme right edge half way up and finally, the sharp diagonal blade of grass going across the top left corner.

The subject has been very well captured, it seems a shame to me not to make the most of it, but I appreciate not everyone may agree with me on such cloning.

#5 needs a bit of clockwise rotation to get it level, the reflected petal tips are not vertically above their 'cause', as they ought to be.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    randy

Thank you for your critique. I readjusted exposure 1/2 stop and reduced the yellow sliders. I suspect that I kind of messed the colors somewhat when I increased the blue sliders to add more blue to the sky. I actually had my CP filter attached, but it was pretty near mid-day and this was the best angle to eliminate cars and pavement.

I have included the ASOOC as well..........Really because I am proud of my post-processing progress .......Now if I could grow an eye for color

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill

Dave- I made the adjustments that you suggested to #3 and #5: on the water lily, I also tried a different crop

South Haven Mill

South Haven Mill
    Last edited by rtbaum; 29th July 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Real Name
    John

Very nice, the turtle image really stands out.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Randy.

Regarding you image of the building, I would simply darken the highlights so that the street and lightest portions of building side are not so bright. Changing the overall image affected the sky.

For the dragonfly, I would use a selective color tool and increase the black in the yellow, so it appears darker. Then I would adjust the shadows and highlights to bring up the darker portion of the wings.