Thread: Big Horn Sheep on Mt Evans

Real Name
    Terri

Big Horn Sheep on Mt Evans

Mt Evans in Colorado has the highest paved highway in North America. Altitude is over 14,000 ft. It also has a decent population of Big Horn Sheep and Mountain Goats. The opportunities to get fairly close to them are good so it's a popular place but if you get there early you'll miss most of the crowds. We were unable to get up there any earlier in the year so the animals are looking pretty shaggy shedding their winter wool. Next year I hope to go as soon as they open the road.

#1 This first picture was taken by my husband and I show it so you can see how well camouflaged the sheep are on this mountain. He spotted them first and it took me a while to see them.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: Big Horn Sheep on Mt Evans

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    Mt Evans in Colorado has the highest paved highway in North America. Altitude is over 14,000 ft. It also has a decent population of Big Horn Sheep and Mountain Goats. The opportunities to get fairly close to them are good so it's a popular place but if you get there early you'll miss most of the crowds. We were unable to get up there any earlier in the year so the animals are looking pretty shaggy shedding their winter wool. Next year I hope to go as soon as they open the road.

#1 This first picture was taken by my husband and I show it so you can see how well camouflaged the sheep are on this mountain. He spotted them first and it took me a while to see them.

Wow! Terri-fic shots/location.

You and your husband must be in top condition to climb that high.

Real Name
    james

These are all great Terri! But I would want to hang four on the wall as big as it would go!

Real Name
    Dan

Including your husband's shot was a good idea to demonstrate the natural camo. Amazing. Shot no.3 is really awesome composition with a bit of flowers, the youngster, and the vista in the BG. Goodness they are shaggy. Thanks for sharing. I'd heard about Mt.Evans on another forum recently. Looks like a good place to shoot.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    Wow! Terri-fic shots/location.

You and your husband must be in top condition to climb that high.

Well, thank goodness there's a paved road so we could drive. The altitude definitely takes your breath away, although our Colorado house is at 9200 ft so we're more used to it than most - at least once we acclimated after spending months in Texas.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    These are all great Terri! But I would want to hang four on the wall as big as it would go!
    Thanks, James!

Real Name
    Christina

Breathtakingly beautiful... My favourite set to date of all your photos because you captured both the wildlife and the habitat perfectly, #3 and #4 are truly stunning.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Including your husband's shot was a good idea to demonstrate the natural camo. Amazing. Shot no.3 is really awesome composition with a bit of flowers, the youngster, and the vista in the BG. Goodness they are shaggy. Thanks for sharing. I'd heard about Mt.Evans on another forum recently. Looks like a good place to shoot.
    I like #3 too. I told my husband though that he did a better job including the background in his shots. He was shooting with a 55-250 and I was shooting with my 100-400. I tend to stick at 400 and forget to back it up. However, when these goats came down the mountain toward us I took quite a few at 100 and nearly fell on my behind trying to back away from them and around the car. It was probably pretty comical. They were never aggressive and they didn't scare me but I sure wanted to give them enough space so they didn't feel threatened. We may try to get up there in the fall just before they close the road and maybe they will be growing in their winter wool. You just never know when it's going to close though because it's totally dependent on the weather.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just a note to add my compliments as well. The third and fourth images are wonderful

A comparison with one I did of a sheep on a mountain (here) serves well to illustrate, I think, examples of when it is right to use colour and when it is right to go to B & W.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Breathtakingly beautiful... My favourite set to date of all your photos because you captured both the wildlife and the habitat perfectly, #3 and #4 are truly stunning.
    Thanks Christina!

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Just a note to add my compliments as well. The third and fourth images are wonderful

A comparison with one I did of a sheep on a mountain (here) serves well to illustrate, I think, examples of when it is right to use colour and when it is right to go to B & W.
    Thanks for the compliments, Donald. I'm so glad you linked to that photo of yours so I could look at it again. I love that photo. Stay tuned. I have some mountain goat pics that I'll be posting soon and a couple might show up in B & W.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Terri, I think four is a wall-hanger. Love to see these guys when their coats are full.

karm

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Terri, I think four is a wall-hanger. Love to see these guys when their coats are full.

karm
    Thanks, Karm. I hope to accommodate you at some point with full coats.