Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Re: Grand canyon

little colorado riverGrand canyon

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Jack.

You can upload multiple images without having to reply to your own posts. After uploading the first image, copying and pasting the text into the body of your letter, you then go back to the tiny??? and click the upload button. It will give you a chance to upload another image. Repeat as needed.

#1 and #2 are very pleasing photos, clear and nice compositions that give the viewer an idea about just how immense the Grand Canyon is.

In #4, there is something missing and I don't know what it is. At first I was thinking about cropping in closer to the house, but still the image does not show that the building is on the edge of a cliff. Maybe it isn't and I am just guessing from the title. Perhaps if you took the shot from a different position to show the context, the image would be more powerful.

#5 is crystal clear and it gives me a sense of how far down the river is and far away the reddish hills are.

I enjoyed viewing the images. They would look great in a travel magazine.

Real Name
    John

Nice series Jack. The last one makes me wonder what the first person to see that view must have felt. Pretty awe inspired I should think.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I always get the impression with photos of the Grand Canyon - and more so with these excellent images - that I would want to stay and shoot from each vantage point from sunrise to sunset (and beyond) - because shadow movement must have an enormous effect on what I'd see.

Not sure I'd cope with the temperatures though

Definitely worth shooting time lapse series of I think.

Real Name
    Bob R

The canyon is a difficult place to take pictures, as so many have done it already. I like #2 the best. #1 seems a bit sharp. In #2 I think you have captured one that not so many view, and that gives it an awesome effect. DoF seems right on as well. The others are good, don't get me wrong, but 2 is my favorite. The last one might have been better given a different time of day, or maybe you could order some clouds to give you better lighting .

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Dan

Nice set giving a broad perspective of the GC. IMO the first two are the strongest images. The other three are well composed and taken in less harsh light would be stronger.

Real Name
    Zen

I know the house shown in image #4, and indeed, as Ken says, there IS something missing. It is very definitely NOT on the edge of a canyon. Instead, it is 100 feet from the road on US 89A across House Rock Valley, about 8-10 miles west of Marble Canyon near Lee's Ferry. The Colorado flows thru Marble Canyon, but the house is not associated with Grand Canyon at all. It sits at the base of the Vermillion Cliffs of the Paria Plateau, and is believed to be a remnant, although now somewhat commercialized, of ancient cliff dwellers in the area. The blue sky background is photo-shopped in. The actual background is a red, sandy, rocky cliff face. I have a number of shots of the house, have wandered around in it, etc. Note at the right edge of the image what appears to be a pipe coming out of the back of the house . . . it IS a pipe that commercial operators in the 40's-50's-60's added to supply water to the structure.

My question is why the OP did what he did with this image when there are so many really great shots to be had in the area without manipulation?

Zen